Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 08:48 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times

Advertisements

Twenty six million visitors to San Antonio annually can't be wrong.
Gum flapping here at City Data Forum will never make Austin the equal of Old San Antone, historically, now or ever.
Nor of Houston or of Dallas nor is it half the size of any of these.
San Antonio is hands down the most popular destination in Texas for travelers.
Austin? The self-billed "live music capital of the world".
I-35 at rush hour southbound is the biggest joke for moving traffic I have ever encountered anywhere in the U.S. It was as though there were a construction road project going on making for a big delay - it was nothing, but backed up to a standstill. The traffic jam at the exit and entry ramps were so clogged, it was stupid.
There I sat wondering when I would get out of there.
Austin isn't even in the same league of cities as San Antonio. Residents there would like to imagine it to be, but it ain't so.
Because Austin is nearby San Antonio does not make it similar. Go ahead imagine it to be, aspire it to be,
but it just isn't so.
Glittering Indianapolis, Indiana is much closer behind San Antonio and makes Austin look like what it truly is- a little bitty overgrown town.
They better build some overhead ramps there downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito Brigante View Post
...and THAT'S a large part of why Austin has become more popular and has become more highly billed than San Antonio. Like it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 10:33 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Twenty six million visitors to San Antonio annually can't be wrong.
Gum flapping here at City Data Forum will never make Austin the equal of Old San Antone, historically, now or ever.
Nor of Houston or of Dallas nor is it half the size of any of these.
San Antonio is hands down the most popular destination in Texas for travelers.
Austin? The self-billed "live music capital of the world".
I-35 at rush hour southbound is the biggest joke for moving traffic I have ever encountered anywhere in the U.S. It was as though there were a construction road project going on making for a big delay - it was nothing, but backed up to a standstill. The traffic jam at the exit and entry ramps were so clogged, it was stupid.
There I sat wondering when I would get out of there.
Austin isn't even in the same league of cities as San Antonio. Residents there would like to imagine it to be, but it ain't so.
Because Austin is nearby San Antonio does not make it similar. Go ahead imagine it to be, aspire it to be,
but it just isn't so.
Glittering Indianapolis, Indiana is much closer behind San Antonio and makes Austin look like what it truly is- a little bitty overgrown town.
They better build some overhead ramps there downtown.
LOL and they say Austinites are the arrogant ones!

Old 04-06-2013, 04:34 PM

340 posts, read 586,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
If the current growth rate continues Austin metro will pass San Antonio metro it about 40 years, population wise.
Because we can count on current trends lastly 40 years.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:42 PM

340 posts, read 586,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito Brigante View Post
...and THAT'S a large part of why Austin has become more popular and has become more highly billed than San Antonio. Like it or not.
Well, just to get this out of the way. San Antonio isn't working class.

It is majority Hispanic and while the inner city (where a majority of SA's Hispanics reside) is histrionically catholic, the city of San Antonio itself isn't ingrained in some type of catholic culture blanket.

So racism is SA's problem, is what you're saying.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:08 AM

326 posts, read 684,807 times
We can do all the comparisons we want to, but the fact is, Austin and San Antonio will one day merge together and become the next DFW. You heard it here first!! ASA!!

If anyone has a hard time believing this to be true, just look at what Toll 130 is going to do. The two cities are now connected by three north-south highways: I-35, Toll 130 and Hwy 281 to the west. All of the towns in between the two such as New Braunfels, San Marcos, Wimberley, etc. will grow and eventually become like the Mid-Cities of the DFW Metroplex.

I'm excited. Let's just sit back and watch as the madness happens.....

Old 04-07-2013, 11:45 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,735,982 times

Old 04-07-2013, 12:32 PM

578 posts, read 1,227,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravisAlum View Post
We can do all the comparisons we want to, but the fact is, Austin and San Antonio will one day merge together and become the next DFW. You heard it here first!! ASA!!

If anyone has a hard time believing this to be true, just look at what Toll 130 is going to do. The two cities are now connected by three north-south highways: I-35, Toll 130 and Hwy 281 to the west. All of the towns in between the two such as New Braunfels, San Marcos, Wimberley, etc. will grow and eventually become like the Mid-Cities of the DFW Metroplex.

I'm excited. Let's just sit back and watch as the madness happens.....
That would be just awful. Hopefully they keep growth along and east of 35 and quit paving and carving the hills.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:50 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...n-antonio.html

Old 04-08-2013, 08:46 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samvp View Post
Because we can count on current trends lastly 40 years.

Did you miss the IF at the beginning of the sentence?

Old 04-08-2013, 10:09 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
There shouldn't be any comparisons. I like Austin, but I really like San Antonio too. As a destination city, I'd pick S.A. hands down. There are tons of things for everyone to do besides the Riverwalk, Alamo, and Sea World. I really dig the Mexican/Tex-Mex history and downtown.

As a place to live, maybe Austin....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas