Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 03:03 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,621,029 times

Advertisements

Ok I've gotten a little home sick and decided to make a thread about East Texas/Piney Woods. I feel like you could post anything East Texas related in here. Also something to help visitors out who would be interested in East Texas. I still don't see why it isn't a sub-forum in here considering the fact it's one of the most interesting regions in the state of Texas and possibly the most close knit region in the state of Texas. Cities and towns are always one stop hop and skip away from each other and the people always interact and commute in those areas with each other. I'll just post a couple of videos I ran across of East Texas. Hopefully other people can add on.

Nacogdoches Texas is a friendly place - YouTube

Christmas Time in Downtown Kilgore - YouTube

Caddo Lake: East Texas Adventure 1 - YouTube

Tour of Jefferson Texas and Caddo Lake - YouTube

CBS 19's Julia Morales - East Texas Success - YouTube

Sh*t No One Says...in East Texas - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 04:25 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Ok I've gotten a little home sick and decided to make a thread about East Texas/Piney Woods. I feel like you could post anything East Texas related in here. Also something to help visitors out who would be interested in East Texas. I still don't see why it isn't a sub-forum in here considering the fact it's one of the most interesting regions in the state of Texas and possibly the most close knit region in the state of Texas. Cities and towns are always one stop hop and skip away from each other and the people always interact and commute in those areas with each other. I'll just post a couple of videos I ran across of East Texas. Hopefully other people can add on.
I just got two things to say.

1. Quit it. You are being cruel to those of us not from East Texas, but love to get out there.

2. Don't Stop. It is a great thread idea.

Anyway, yeppers, what a great thread topic. I fell in love in East Texas first time I went out there. The Marshall/Jefferson/Caddo Lake area is what I consider our second home and where we plan to retire.

On a related tangent? Not sure exactly where East Texas begins, but I always felt I was getting there (depending on the route of travel), either around Greenville or Canton. Once one reaches Tyler, they are DEFINITELY there.

Not sure exactly why I say that, because it is not so much that the piney woods begin...but the whole moodscape begins to transform from North Texas to East Texas. By that I mean (naturally this is IMHO) a change from the vibrant atmosphere of the former into the genteel and gentle Deep South feel of the latter. I love it. I even start to change moods myself when I get there. Get a bit quiet and reflective...

It is a skin and soul-caressing experience....I can't put it any better than that...

Old 04-01-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I just got two things to say.

1. Quit it. You are being cruel to those of us not from East Texas, but love to get out there.

2. Don't Stop. It is a great thread idea.

Anyway, yeppers, what a great thread topic. I fell in love in East Texas first time I went out there. The Marshall/Jefferson/Caddo Lake area is what I consider our second home and where we plan to retire.

On a related tangent? Not sure exactly where East Texas begins, but I always felt I was getting there (depending on the route of travel), either around Greenville or Canton. Once one reaches Tyler, they are DEFINITELY there.

Not sure exactly why I say that, because it is not so much that the piney woods begin...but the whole moodscape begins to transform from North Texas to East Texas. By that I mean (naturally this is IMHO) a change from the vibrant atmosphere of the former into the genteel and gentle Deep South feel of the latter. I love it. I even start to change moods myself when I get there. Get a bit quiet and reflective...

It is a skin and soul-caressing experience....I can't put it any better than that...
Preciate it!!

And where does East Texas begin, hmmmmmmmm? Depends on what direction you're coming from? As soon as you leave Louisiana coming from Shreveport you're right in East Texas region once you cross that state line.

Coming from Houston by way of 59 I would say the area in between Livingston and Diboll

Coming from Dallas by way of I-20 I would say possibly Canton and Greenville. And like you said once you hit Tyler it's obvious you are now in East Texas/Piney Woods country.

Coming from Central Texas(as in Waco) I would say when you're leaving Corsicana heading into Athens. Like once you're in those small small towns like Trinidad and Malakoff it's like ok we've officially entered East Texas.

And I know exactly what you mean by the mood changes once you've entered into East Texas/Piney Woods region. And it's funny I didn't really recognize it till I start going to school in Waco and one of my friends from a small town outside of Bryan/College Station notice the mood and change when we entered East Texas. I'm not saying it was drastic worlds apart but when he start seeing all the Pine Trees and red dirt he was like , "ummmmmm where are you taking me too?"

Old 04-01-2013, 05:59 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,162,402 times
Reminds me of something I've wondered about in the past. My dad was born in Center, Texas, but I've never figured out what it is the "center" of. Certainly not the center of the state. And doesn't seem to be the center of East Texas either.

Anyone know the answer?

Old 04-01-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Reminds me of something I've wondered about in the past. My dad was born in Center, Texas, but I've never figured out what it is the "center" of. Certainly not the center of the state. And doesn't seem to be the center of East Texas either.

Anyone know the answer?

I don't want to come off like the ambassador of East Texas but Center is without a doubt in East Texas. I don't really know the center of East Texas. I do believe Longview is smack in the middle of North East Texas. The heart of the Piney Woods right in between Tyler and Marshall.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:27 AM

Did You Know - Tyler Roses - YouTube

Quote:
The Texas Rose Festival, a three-day event held annually in Tyler, Texas, celebrates the role of the rose -growing industry in the local economy. The festivities, taking place during the third weekend of October,[1] draw thousands of tourists to the city each year.
Texas Rose Festival Queen Tea - YouTube

Quote:
Many of the festival's events center on the Rose Queen and her court, who wear lavish gowns and costumes that are often in keeping with the theme of the year's festival. These participants generally come from wealthy backgrounds and often have long family histories with the festival; many have played various roles in the events since childhood. The queen and her court are chosen by the President of the Texas Rose Festival Association who works in the organization for 4 years before taking on the role as President.
2011 Yamboree - Gilmer, TX - YouTube

Quote:
The East Texas Yamboree, one of the oldest continious festivals in Texas was established in 1935 under the direction of John Brogoitti, the Chamber of Commerce manager. Also involved were volunteers from the County Extension Service, the Rotary Club and the Gilmer HIgh School Ag Dept. The festival was planned to be in conjuction with the Texas Centennial Celebration.
The name Yamboree was used because the yam (sweet potato) had been a major cash crop in the area during the 1930's. Yam growers had been under a quarantine because of a weevil infestation but by 1935 the ban was lifted and yams were once again being shipped.
The festival proved to be so popular that the committee decided it would be a yearly event. The only years when the Yamboree did not run was a three year stretch during World War II.
Wonderland of Lights Marshall, TX, 12 - 2011, Canon XA10 Camera - YouTube
Quote:
This historic city is lit with 7 million lights for this festival. The six week festival features a living Christmas tree of area choirs, nightly tours, and a Christmas parade held the first Saturday in December.
Great Texas Balloon Race 2011 - Longview, TX - YouTube
Quote:
It's a world class event attracting the very best competitive pilots from across the United States and the world.Longview's Great Texas Balloon Race

Considered by many of the pilots that compete at the Great Texas Balloon Race to be the best run event on the circuit.
Btw, it was always neat and almost unreal seeing 100's of Hot Air Balloons in the East Texas skies as you ride your bike as a child in the neighborhood.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Coming from Dallas by way of I-20 I would say possibly Canton and Greenville. And like you said once you hit Tyler it's obvious you are now in East Texas/Piney Woods country.
Another little town along the route that always seems to serve as a sort of "landmark" (IMO) is Mineola.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:31 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times
Reading this, looking out the window at the dogwoods in their petite yet awesome glory!

Bob approves this thread !

Old 04-02-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Reading this, looking out the window at the dogwoods in their petite yet awesome glory!

Bob approves this thread !
I look forward to you buying me a beer next time I get out that way (which might be in early May if I can swing it right). We would like to go to Jefferson for their annual celebration, as well as the usual staying on Caddo Lake.

I particularly want to see that annual "Civil War" re-enactment of the "Battle of Port Jefferson." It is a well "choreographed" account of what might have happened if the yankees had suceeded in their planned invasion of East Texas. As it was, they were stopped at the Battle of Pleasant Hill, in Louisiana.

Anyway, here is a link to it for those who might be interested:

Battle of Port Jefferson TX 2011 - YouTube (just a word of advise. There is music to this photo series, so some might want to turn down the volume...or mute it).

Also? For the "Civil War" buffs out there? Note some of the "battle flags" of Texas units and how the center star is enlarged, as well as colors reversed, sometime.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:56 AM

15,529 posts, read 10,496,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post

Anyone know the answer?

It seems it's named Center because it's near the center of the county. I've never been there, but find how or why they named towns interesting.
Center, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas