Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 06:23 PM

43 posts, read 122,386 times

Advertisements

Umm...yeah. I live in Lufkin. I've lived here my whole life. It has changed alot in that time and has grown quite a bit in that time but it is not booming. We do have a pretty good highway system and I think when the economy improves it may have a "mini-boom' but other than medical and professional (attorneys, insurance, etc) there are just not enough high-paying jobs. We can't all work at Cheddar's. Olive Garden, etc. It is what it is...a nice small city with some of the amenities and also some of the problems of our larger neighbors. It is a regional hub for medical, shopping, etc. and I guess what the Chamber is referring to is that it is the largest city in this area and the largest between Tyler and Houston so the daytime population is estimated at about 70,000. But...it is not even as big as Longview was in 1970.

Also there are no plans to build a second Wal-mart here. I don't really understand Dee's obsession with these things and he mainly succeeds in making us look even more countrified and backwards ass than we already are.

Mix Mast coming to N.Lufkin Intersection Of Loop 287 and Future I-69-downtown-lufkin.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Eh, both Nacogdoches County and Angelina County are gonna be snacks for Houston, as both are gonna be swallowed by the metro area soon.

How far is the city of Lufkin from Trinity County?

Lufkin is about twelve miles east of the Trinity County line...not sure what this has to do with anything because there is nothing there. Trinity County makes Lufkin look like Manhattan...

Old 04-25-2013, 08:30 AM

1,064 posts, read 1,903,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kca1020 View Post
Umm...yeah. I live in Lufkin. I've lived here my whole life. It has changed alot in that time and has grown quite a bit in that time but it is not booming. We do have a pretty good highway system and I think when the economy improves it may have a "mini-boom' but other than medical and professional (attorneys, insurance, etc) there are just not enough high-paying jobs. We can't all work at Cheddar's. Olive Garden, etc. It is what it is...a nice small city with some of the amenities and also some of the problems of our larger neighbors. It is a regional hub for medical, shopping, etc. and I guess what the Chamber is referring to is that it is the largest city in this area and the largest between Tyler and Houston so the daytime population is estimated at about 70,000. But...it is not even as big as Longview was in 1970.

Also there are no plans to build a second Wal-mart here. I don't really understand Dee's obsession with these things and he mainly succeeds in making us look even more countrified and backwards ass than we already are.

Attachment 110597
You need to do your research and argue with the walmart cooperate office.
Get an education before you start mouthing about something you don't have a clue about clueless lmao!

Old 04-25-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
You need to do your research and argue with the walmart cooperate office.
Get an education before you start mouthing about something you don't have a clue about clueless lmao!
Can you link to a story or site about a second Walmart in Lufkin. My brother is a manager at the existing Walmart in Lufkin and has worked there for 9 years and he's not heard anything. I have friends who work at the Lufkin Daily News and at KTRE and this would be right up their alley. As you know, any major construction in cities as small as Lufkin and Nacogdoches always warrants a mention. And how educated do I need to be to know that "cooperate" is corporate. And why do I need to prove a negative? I'm supposed to disprove your statement when you've provided no evidence to support it?

Anyways, I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I am. The Walmart in Lufkin now was one of the largest in the state when it was built about 2001 I think. I think if they put a new one in it would do good business but since all the retail growth is on the south side where the existing one is I don't see it happening. If they would build a nice new HEB on the south side that would be great. The HEB in north Lufkin is always packed. Home grown Brookshire Brothers is really struggling and you got to wonder how much longer they will make it.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Can you link to a story or site about a second Walmart in Lufkin. My brother is a manager at the existing Walmart in Lufkin and has worked there for 9 years and he's not heard anything. I have friends who work at the Lufkin Daily News and at KTRE and this would be right up their alley. As you know, any major construction in cities as small as Lufkin and Nacogdoches always warrants a mention. And how educated do I need to be to know that "cooperate" is corporate. And why do I need to prove a negative? I'm supposed to disprove your statement when you've provided no evidence to support it?

Anyways, I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I am. The Walmart in Lufkin now was one of the largest in the state when it was built about 2001 I think. I think if they put a new one in it would do good business but since all the retail growth is on the south side where the existing one is I don't see it happening. If they would build a nice new HEB on the south side that would be great. The HEB in north Lufkin is always packed. Home grown Brookshire Brothers is really struggling and you got to wonder how much longer they will make it.
NO COMMENT!!!!

Old 05-09-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:

Call Walmart ok!!!!!!!

Old 05-09-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
Call Walmart ok!!!!!!!

What's the number?

Old 05-09-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
What's the number?
I rest my case, Lufkin may have failed in the education department but one thing I can say, you don't have to have brains to play ball.

Go Panthers Go Panthers.........ummm........lmao..........Go Panthers....Hey I am getting tired do anyone have a drink?

Old 11-03-2013, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 6,137 times
LOL I have worked for Walmart for almost 10 years and you can be well assured that they are not going to take a call from some country bumpkin in Lufkin, Texas and confirm ANY future plans for this area. That said, we have 221,000 sq ft. of store that we have a hard enough time filling up now or finding qualified help for.....I would seriously doubt we are interested in adding more acreage, payroll or headaches.....I would think the next Walmart in Lufkin will be on the I-69 Bypass...which I highly doubt will be in my lifetime...

Old 11-06-2013, 11:58 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,872 times
WOW!! Lufkin is getting a "mixmaster"? That is probably the most exciting news they have had in like........EVER! What's next? Traffic reports on the 9's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas