Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 08:42 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,331,345 times

Advertisements

Sweet Brown is a crackhead.

This weather has me in utopia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 10:22 PM

770 posts, read 1,797,149 times
Have any tornadoes actually occured in N. Texas?? I currently reside in SW MO. and even though we here in Springfield never got above 50 degrees today, areas just slightly further east (i.e. West Plains, Cape Girardeau, Jackson, ect.) were near 80 degrees all day and those temps were occurring, as of this afternoon, all the way down to Texas, and those areas had MANY tornado warnings.

Was there any major severe weather in N. Texas?

Old 04-10-2013, 11:30 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I cant believe its the middle of April and this cold in Houston

B]
Sweet is a superstar now.
She had made a couple commercials, she is in the upcoming Tyler Perry movie and she made an appearance at the Oscars. I'm surprised she got time for all dat.
I thought ain't NOBODY got time fo dat! Sweet Jesus, she got herself some shoes on now, I bet!

Hope she's over her pneumonia.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:31 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
Have any tornadoes actually occured in N. Texas?? I currently reside in SW MO. and even though we here in Springfield never got above 50 degrees today, areas just slightly further east (i.e. West Plains, Cape Girardeau, Jackson, ect.) were near 80 degrees all day and those temps were occurring, as of this afternoon, all the way down to Texas, and those areas had MANY tornado warnings.

Not in Northeast Texas where I live, though we did have a few splatters of hail a time or two this afternoon (small).

Old 04-11-2013, 12:05 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
Didn't have any in my neck of the woods (Richardson, just north of Dallas). Couple of heavy downpours that lasted maybe 15-20 minutes apiece, but that's it. Mostly it just rained and got cold.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:36 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,316,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Always watching the weather here, lord knows we need the rain.
If I'm being ugly please forgive me, but what is with people in Texas not being satisfied unless we have seemingly 3 feet of rain every single day? Last I heard, after the rain we got from this, we are well within having the normal amount for this time of the year. Thus, if we don't get anymore for a while, we're good. I'm looking around and all the lakes & ponds etc are plenty full. There are no burning bans in effect & haven't been in quite awhile.

In other words, there is no drought. We're fine. We don't need anymore for awhile. Some sunny days won't kill us. Heck I'm about to go into a depression from the lack of it, frankly. I swear it's like I moved to Portland or Seattle lately. We don't need rain every single day from now until the year 2351. Yet at the same time, if you're going to be cloudy--rain, if not, be sunny. Go #2 or get off the pot. Save the cloudy days for the brutal summers, not for when it's in the 70s and 80s and feels NICE for a freaking change.

And yes, to the person that said "I can't believe it's this cold in Houston in April"--I heard that. I've had enough of these cold snaps. It's spring-time now, enough of this chilly nonsense. That was for December to early March, not now. Memo to mother nature--stop!!

LRH

Last edited by shyguylh; 04-11-2013 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: Misspellings.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
If I'm being ugly please forgive me, but what is with people in Texas not being satisfied unless we have seemingly 3 feet of rain every single day? Last I heard, after the rain we got from this, we are well within having the normal amount for this time of the year. Thus, if we don't get anymore for a while, we're good. I'm looking around and all the lakes & ponds etc are plenty full. There are no burning bans in effect & haven't been in quite awhile.

In other words, there is no drought. We're fine. We don't need anymore for awhile. Some sunny days won't kill us. Heck I'm about to go into a depression from the lack of it, frankly. I swear it's like I moved to Portland or Seattle lately. We don't need rain every single day from now until the year 2351. Yet at the same time, if you're going to be cloudy--rain, if not, be sunny. Go #2 or get off the pot. Save the cloudy days for the brutal summers, not for when it's in the 70s and 80s and feels NICE for a freaking change.

And yes, to the person that said "I can't believe it's this cold in Houston in April"--I heard that. I've had enough of these cold snaps. It's spring-time now, enough of this chilly nonsense. That was for December to early March, not now. Memo to mother nature--stop!!

LRH
Take a deep breath.

State Drought Monitor

We need the rain.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:11 PM

Um, no, we DON'T need the rain, at least not around here. Maybe in the extreme western part of Texas, where I've heard the recovery hasn't been as thorough or such, then maybe--but trust me, around here east of Dallas, we are most certainly doing fine. We don't need rain every 2.5 milliseconds every single day. That's just ludicrous.

http://www.news-journal.com/news/loc...f67cc13a4.html

"Stevens said Wednesday’s rainfall was expected to pull Gregg County out of the U.S. Drought Monitor designation of abnormally dry. Normal precipitation year-to-date Wednesday was 12.84 inches, Stevens said. By 5 p.m., total precipitation was 12.71 inches and by midnight was expected to reach the normal amount."

Yes, if I read the map correctly, "abnormally dry" is the weakest drought designation, barely enough to even register at all, and it's due to pull out even out of that petty designation. We've had the proper amount of rain so far for this year, we're not way behind nor way ahead, but right on schedule. I think we're due a few sunny days--quite a few, actually, and we sure as heck shouldn't have cloudy days where it doesn't rain, because it accomplishes nothing.

What does it take to make you people happy, a designation of "so wet we're soggier than a bath-tub sponge?" Gee whiz.

Not that my assertion or yours will change the weather behavior, obviously.

LRH

Last edited by shyguylh; 04-11-2013 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: Links added.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
Um, no, we DON'T need the rain, at least not around here. Maybe in the extreme western part of Texas, where I've heard the recovery hasn't been as thorough or such, then maybe--but trust me, around here east of Dallas, we are most certainly doing fine. We don't need rain every 2.5 milliseconds every single day. That's just ludicrous.

Storm lowers temperatures, likely improves drought status - Longview News-Journal: Local News

"Stevens said Wednesday’s rainfall was expected to pull Gregg County out of the U.S. Drought Monitor designation of abnormally dry. Normal precipitation year-to-date Wednesday was 12.84 inches, Stevens said. By 5 p.m., total precipitation was 12.71 inches and by midnight was expected to reach the normal amount."

Yes, if I read the map correctly, "abnormally dry" is the weakest drought designation, barely enough to even register at all, and it's due to pull out even out of that petty designation. We've had the proper amount of rain so far for this year, we're not way behind nor way ahead, but right on schedule. I think we're due a few sunny days--quite a few, actually, and we sure as heck shouldn't have cloudy days where it doesn't rain, because it accomplishes nothing.

What does it take to make you people happy, a designation of "so wet we're soggier than a bath-tub sponge?" Gee whiz.

Not that my assertion or yours will change the weather behavior, obviously.

LRH
Rain isn't exactly a "too much of a good thing" type of situation. We can almost always use some.

That said, your specific area may be doing fine, but we are discussing this region as a whole, and many parts of the state do need it.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Rain isn't exactly a "too much of a good thing" type of situation. We can almost always use some.

That said, your specific area may be doing fine, but we are discussing this region as a whole, and many parts of the state do need it.
I would say it IS potentially a "too much of a good thing" type of situation. Besides the obvious thing of floods, there's also how sometimes excess rain can mean the abundance of nuisance pests like mosquitoes, who seem to prosper in the sogginess. You can also have an abundance of flowers leading to stronger allergic reactions from people who suffer from allergies.

Besides any of that, there's the simple fact that NORMAL people like to have at least SOME sunshine once in awhile to cheer up the place. This may not be the southwest US, but gee whiz, does it have to be raining or cloudy so stinking much? If we have enough rain, I say it's time for some sunshine to brighten things up around here. It's been depressing way long enough.

I'm fine with how not all regions are doing fine & they could use some, I'm just saying that it's my observation that even when a given area HAS had enough you still have plenty of people acting like no amount of rain is EVER enough, as if it must rain 9 days out of 10 or else we're "in a drought." Bullfeathers.

LRH

Last edited by shyguylh; 04-11-2013 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: m
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas