Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,874 times

Advertisements

I am possibly moving to this area in the summer for a teaching job next year. I have two children- one who will be entering kindergarten and one who will be entering the 6th grade. Can anyone tell me which area is better and why? I will be renting and find that rent is cheaper in Bryan but the schools are rated lower. Trying to find people who know the area and can tell me more about where is best to live. I need an affordable, safe, family oriented neighborhood that is within the district of good schools. Ratings only give a piece of the picture. Thank you for any helpful input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 06:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
BCS is like 2 cities that grew and met at the edges.

College Station is where you want to live and send your kids to school.
There's areas of Bryan that are nice and OK but there's a lot more "questionable" areas.
There's more crime, drugs, poverty in Bryan than College Station.

I suggest renting for a year and get familiar with the area. There are lots of very nice apartments due to it being a college town and you should be able to find a nice apt at a decent rental price. Along Holleman & Harvey are nice areas with plenty of shopping/restaurants along Texas Ave and also along University.

I don't live in BCS but go there every other week for my food shopping (I'm a loyal HEB shopper) and my son lives there while going to school.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Station,_Texas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan,_Texas

here's the local paper:
The Eagle

Old 04-09-2013, 07:36 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,758,253 times
I agree that you want to live in CS, rather than Bryan. I've never lived there either, but have been visiting regularly for many years and had a son there while he was in college. Byran has some nice areas, but over all is more run down. Just make sure you aren't too close to the university, so you don't end up with a bunch of college kids for neighbors.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:43 PM

78 posts, read 247,373 times
I have a cousin that lives near the Walmart on Harvey Mitchell and Texas, she has 3 kids and is VERY particular about their education quality. There are a lot of nice apartments/townhomes in that area, and not as many students living there since it's relatively far from campus. I would recommend that area or farther south around Graham Road. Beware of the 70,000+ horrible college drivers who unfortunately tend to make the front page. Bryan is actually a very nice town to live in, although neighborhoods west of downtown aren't particularly nice.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:09 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcallen Kid View Post
I have a cousin that lives near the Walmart on Harvey Mitchell and Texas, she has 3 kids and is VERY particular about their education quality. There are a lot of nice apartments/townhomes in that area, and not as many students living there since it's relatively far from campus. I would recommend that area or farther south around Graham Road. Beware of the 70,000+ horrible college drivers who unfortunately tend to make the front page. Bryan is actually a very nice town to live in, although neighborhoods west of downtown aren't particularly nice.
A reasonable view except that there are not 70,000 college drivers. A&M's total enrollment is just over 50,000 and many do not have cars.

I would choose CS mostly because of the better schools. Interestingly though some of the best restaurants are in Bryan.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,730 times
My son will be a graduate student at TAMU this fall, and I am helping him look for a house to buy for his family (wife and 3 preschool children). The complicating factor is that they are a bilingual family, moving from Latin America, where the children speak fluent Spanish (although they understand English). The parents want their children to be fluent in Spanish, which is hard to do when everyone around them is speaking English, but I get the impression that the only way to be in a Hispanic neighborhood is to live in a low-class neighborhood. I don't mean to be classist about this, but there are safety issues with small children, so does anyone know of any neighborhoods in which a family might find Latino neighbors with families, who are also educated professionals? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas