Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Highway System Is Better Lufkin or Tyler?
Lufkin 15 68.18%
Tyler 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 12:33 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,085,037 times

Advertisements

Thanks !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 12:53 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kca1020 View Post
To be back on subject I used to go to Tyler weekly for my job about 10 years ago and always wondered what they had against overpasses?
Tyler never wanted to be a big city it just kinda happened.

I don't think having overpasses would've solved anything. Look at cities like Denton, Waco, & Beaumont as prime examples.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:00 PM

816 posts, read 1,947,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I don't think having overpasses would've solved anything. Look at cities like Denton, Waco, & Beaumont as prime examples.
Unfortunately, I'd have to disagree with this. I've been to Denton but not to where I remember it so I can't say. Beaumont solved it big time on Highway 69 and 96 together to run along with I-10. It runs pretty smooth there. For Waco, the only freeway beside I-35 is Highway 6 and I'm sure they solved some of it?

Look at Bryan/College Station, imagine if they didn't have Highway 6 freeway run through them. It would be pretty bad.

If Broadway and Loop 323 had a freeway with 2 lanes on each side, the traffic would not be bad. It might be like College Station/Bryan freeway. I doubt that will ever happens since all these businesses in Tyler are like right next to the road. Just the way I see it and I could be wrong. We will never see this for probably a decade or never.

Last edited by An0nym0us88; 04-24-2013 at 01:12 PM..

Old 04-24-2013, 01:24 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
City leaders attempt to address Tyler traffic woes

Old 04-25-2013, 08:20 AM

86 posts, read 199,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
Unfortunately, I'd have to disagree with this. I've been to Denton but not to where I remember it so I can't say. Beaumont solved it big time on Highway 69 and 96 together to run along with I-10. It runs pretty smooth there. For Waco, the only freeway beside I-35 is Highway 6 and I'm sure they solved some of it?

Look at Bryan/College Station, imagine if they didn't have Highway 6 freeway run through them. It would be pretty bad.

If Broadway and Loop 323 had a freeway with 2 lanes on each side, the traffic would not be bad. It might be like College Station/Bryan freeway. I doubt that will ever happens since all these businesses in Tyler are like right next to the road. Just the way I see it and I could be wrong. We will never see this for probably a decade or never.
Overpasses are not the magic traffic cure that a lot of people think they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDOT
TxDOT spokesman Larry Krantz said people shouldn't expect overpasses along Tyler's loop, even though the agency's decades-old road plans call for them.

At a cost of $15 to $20 million each, excluding the cost of right-of-way acquisition, the price tag would be steep, he said, citing also limited access to the area for well more than a year.

"My favorite example is the Loop and South Broadway," Krantz said. "To have an overpass in that area, we would lose T.G.I. Friday's, the (First Christian) church, Coldwater Creek, IHOP, the Firestone Tire store by the mall, most of the mall parking lot and BJ's Restaurant."

Approach lanes also would extend well beyond Old Bullard Road, taking away even more access to homes and businesses, he added.
Tyler Hopes New Technology Will Ease Traffic Congestion

I believe the true solution to traffic congestion is offering adequate alternative transportation as well as responsible zoning/development. Take the Loop and S Broadway for example; I'd be willing to bet that a large percentage of people going through that intersection are making short distance trips from the surrounding neighborhoods to the various commercial clusters in the area.

What if folks had safe alternatives to driving for short distance (0-3ish miles?) trips? If your choices were to either get on the congested roadway or walk/bike on an safe, separated right of way, you might be giving some real consideration to the latter.

On the zoning and development front, I think we need to be seeing some development standards that would dictate buildings be built in a way that would encourage pedestrian activity. It's a lot easier to convince someone to walk to a storefront than to a big box that has a couple of hundred yards of parking lot between it's doors and the street. As far as I know, there ARE codes/zoning standards on the books that encourage this style of development in the area I'm talking about but all of the present commercial areas were built up years and years ago.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:20 AM

1,064 posts, read 1,904,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietthings View Post
This map is a little hard to read but,

http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot...1/tyl_supp.pdf

Intersection of Loop 323 and Broadway is at 70,000 cars per day.

Intersection of Loop 323 and 155 S is at 68,000 cars per day.

Intersection of Loop 323 and 64 W is at 57,000 cars per day.

These numbers are a great example of why the outer loop was needed. These car per day counts will hopefully come down now that people have an alternative.
I want everybody to check out this website he put on here and see if you find a count over 42,000.
You are really really really sad for this flat out lie lmao but trying to boast yo city lmao still can't match to Lufkin and barely Nac with counts of almost 40,000 there really you should be a shame please everyone look at that sight!!!!!

Old 04-25-2013, 08:47 AM

86 posts, read 199,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
I want everybody to check out this website he put on here and see if you find a count over 42,000.
You are really really really sad for this flat out lie lmao but trying to boast yo city lmao still can't match to Lufkin and barely Nac with counts of almost 40,000 there really you should be a shame please everyone look at that sight!!!!!
Thought you might say that. Let me explain, when you see an intersection on the map with two different counts, one on each of the streets at that intersection, you add those two together. For example, Loop 323 at S Broadway has a count on Broadway at 36,000 and also a count on Loop 323 at 34,000. Add those together and you get 70,000.

Also,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Paper
Other city leaders talked about transportation issues and gave sobering numbers about the intersection of Loop 323 and South Broadway Avenue, which is the busiest in the city. City Traffic Engineer Peter Eng said that traffic at that intersection had increased by almost 73 percent since 1975, using numbers obtained in 2010. In 1975, slightly more than 38,000 vehicles passed through that intersection on a daily basis. By 2010, 67,500 vehicles came through daily.
http://www.tylerpaper.com/article/20...89/0/FRONTPAGE

Old 05-23-2014, 02:41 AM

1,064 posts, read 1,904,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
What is the new's for Tyler as of 2014.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:57 AM

Tyler is now, late, but has opened the East West corridor, Earl Campbell Parkway, four lane divided street from 155 to Loop 323 West. Starting construction on Cumberland Road Extension from South Broadway to Old Jacksonville Highway, this extension will actually help congestion in the currently being constructed Shops in Cumberland on South Broadway at Toll 49.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:01 AM

Also the 49 Tollway has now around 27,000 -28,000 transactions per day. About 4 times the numbers expected for the first year. Transactions were explained as one car getting on at some point in the 25 mile long road. Billing for 27-28,000 cars. State just upped the max speed to 75 mph and posted a minimum speed of 65.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas