Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 06:11 PM

43 posts, read 240,898 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Continuing my nationwide search for the best spot for my family. Tired of the cool, wet Pacific Northwest and looking for the some sunshine.

Our libertarian nature and owning our own business make Texas look pretty attractive generally. Since my business is sailing related, I'd visited the Corpus and Rockport area, but nothing seemed like quite the right fit. In particular I'm having a hard time finding a place that strikes the right balance between low crime and quaint, and having good schools and some members of the "creative class," entrepreneurial energy, etc.

From asking around on this forum and elsewhere it sounds like most of the things we want (besides the water) are found inland in Texas. And between (what I perceive to be) hurricane flooding risk, nuclear power plants, chemical plants, and relatively high crime rates, the coastal towns I investigated didn't seem like they'd work for us.

We're also looking at the North Carolina Coast, but that's an even bigger move and probably a bigger adjustment in terms of weather, insects and critters, culture, etc. We're still planning a trip to the Carolina Coast, but I got to wondering of there might be a lake region inside Texas that could meet our needs.

Dream scenario:

1. Safe with decent schools
2. Less than 50,000 population
3. Near active sailing area
4. Decent family homes for less than $250k
5. We're not religious, fwiw.
6. Prefer touristy type towns with quaint downtowns, old movie theater, good restaurants, culture, etc.
7. Within 3 hours of major airport.
8. Bonus if there's a college or some other intellectually stimulating institution nearby. \
9. Reasonably clean environment not next door to any huge chemical plants, smoke stacks etc.
10. Reasonably friendly business climate and good for personal freedoms (I assume all of Texas qualifies here).

I realize it's a tough list but would love to hear any suggestions we should investigate.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 06:18 PM

517 posts, read 1,045,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidseven View Post
Hi all. Continuing my nationwide search for the best spot for my family. Tired of the cool, wet Pacific Northwest and looking for the some sunshine.

Our libertarian nature and owning our own business make Texas look pretty attractive generally. Since my business is sailing related, I'd visited the Corpus and Rockport area, but nothing seemed like quite the right fit. In particular I'm having a hard time finding a place that strikes the right balance between low crime and quaint, and having good schools and some members of the "creative class," entrepreneurial energy, etc.

From asking around on this forum and elsewhere it sounds like most of the things we want (besides the water) are found inland in Texas. And between (what I perceive to be) hurricane flooding risk, nuclear power plants, chemical plants, and relatively high crime rates, the coastal towns I investigated didn't seem like they'd work for us.

We're also looking at the North Carolina Coast, but that's an even bigger move and probably a bigger adjustment in terms of weather, insects and critters, culture, etc. We're still planning a trip to the Carolina Coast, but I got to wondering of there might be a lake region inside Texas that could meet our needs.

Dream scenario:

1. Safe with decent schools
2. Less than 50,000 population
3. Near active sailing area
4. Decent family homes for less than $250k
5. We're not religious, fwiw.
6. Prefer touristy type towns with quaint downtowns, old movie theater, good restaurants, culture, etc.
7. Within 3 hours of major airport.
8. Bonus if there's a college or some other intellectually stimulating institution nearby. \
9. Reasonably clean environment not next door to any huge chemical plants, smoke stacks etc.
10. Reasonably friendly business climate and good for personal freedoms (I assume all of Texas qualifies here).

I realize it's a tough list but would love to hear any suggestions we should investigate.

Thanks!
Well if it starts raining, Austin might work for you. Also, lake Palestine outside of Tyler has some sailing on it. Avoid Sam Rayburn and Toledo Bend. They do not have a sailing culture.

Sailing Texas is in Lakeway I believe, on Lake Travis. It is not a big lake, and last time I was there it was drown proof. (No water)

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 04-11-2013, 10:02 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,662,098 times
Rockwall has all of that!

Old 04-12-2013, 09:25 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,571,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Rockwall has all of that!
Yes it sure does. Lake Ray Hubbard is an extremely popular lake for sailing. We even had an Olympic champion from here, and the lake was considered for the location of sailing competition for Dallas' Olympic bid a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: