Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 07:22 PM

2,570 posts, read 7,713,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4damoney View Post
Thats ok. Sitting at the traffic light is the worst part but once youre moving at least some breeze comes through the open windows.
Yep, it's best to stay on the highway when the car has no AC. BTDT way too many times to count. I think my van AC is about to go out. Perfect timing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, that makes some sense.

Maybe you can go with very thin, cotton skirts and/or very loose capris. I don't know. But you'll burn slap up if you go with synthetic materials or anything that hugs your skin.

Oh, and be sure you have a light sweater with you - because when it's so hot here, many businesses, especially movie theaters and restaurants, really crank that AC up and you can go from burning up outside to freezing when you sit down inside.
I agree, avoid anything synthetic. No nylon or poly. I have lived in Texas all my life and I am very heat intolerant. I am one of those who has never gotten "used to it". I wear cotton, linen, and sometimes rayon. Skirts, sundresses, maxi dresses are fine as long as they are loose fitting. Maybe some canvas type flats if you don't want to do sandals if that works with your need for medical inserts?

The heat is less of an issue if you aren't going to be running around trying to sight-see during the hottest part of the day (and yes, in my experience it gets hottest after 2pm) and if you have AC in the car and are visiting places with AC. The heat would be more of a concern if you're outside, checking out historical sites or walking downtown areas or whatever.

The heat is mostly an issue for people without the financial resources to stay cool. When you have crappy AC in your poorly insulated house (or none at all) or a tight budget where you can't crank it down low because you can't afford the bills later, or your car's AC is broken, that's when Texas summers really suck... and I speak from experience. Shouldn't be an issue for most visitors.

If you're going to be running around a lot in the car I would consider a small ice chest to keep bottled water really cold, and as for sunscreen I just thought I'd mention that I really like the Neutrogena "Dry Touch" sunscreen, it absorbs quickly and does not feel greasy. Nothing worse than being hot, sweaty, and feeling like you are covered in a greasy film. Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 03:10 PM

286 posts, read 566,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4damoney View Post
My car isnt. Needs a new compressor. I survived the last 4 summers without AC in my car but its not for the weak of heart.
I haven't used A/C in my Jeep since I bought it (well, except for defogging purposes). It's interesting how you can get used to the temperature, and yeah, while it's warm, you're not dying or anything.
Comically, once you get used to that temp, then you walk into the people that have their A/C on 68 and you're freezing.
I set mine to 76 in the house, and at night even that feels cold. It's all what you're used to.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:41 PM

795 posts, read 1,576,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mcninja View Post
I haven't used A/C in my Jeep since I bought it (well, except for defogging purposes). It's interesting how you can get used to the temperature, and yeah, while it's warm, you're not dying or anything.
Comically, once you get used to that temp, then you walk into the people that have their A/C on 68 and you're freezing.
I set mine to 76 in the house, and at night even that feels cold. It's all what you're used to.
Yep all very true. And my sister has no AC in her Bronco either and I never hear her complain about it. And yeah I set my AC at home to around 75.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:27 PM

802 posts, read 978,124 times
Always look for a patch of shade, if standing or parking. No windshield screen or towel will keep the steering wheel from burning your hands if parking in the sun. put on gloves when starting the car. If you have a flat in the daytime in the sun, do not try to change the tire. leave the car or drive on the rim until you find shade. always keep the windows cracked a little. no pets or anybody left in the car while shopping. And that's just for July. It gets serious in August.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:11 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,837,379 times
Don't forget sunglasses to protect your eyes from the sun.

Park in the shade every chance you get. You will probably have to walk a bit further in the heat, but you will appreciate it when you return to your car. When the car has been sitting in the sun, you can't touch the door handle to get back into the car, you can't stand the seats on your legs and back, you can't touch the steering wheel, and your A/C will have an extremely hard time trying to cool your car off before you get to your next stop.

For a break from water, try ordering iced tea. Refreshing.

Try to schedule outdoor activities for early morning and late evening. You do not want to be out between 12-6 unless you have to be out. If you must, walk slow and drink lots of fluids. A parasol or umbrella can also help. No one will look at you funny for using one when it is not raining.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:05 AM

286 posts, read 566,570 times
It's funny, reading what people put in here. They act like the sun is the seventh level of hell. Newsflash, poorer people (read, those without A/C or cars) live in warmer places. They have for centuries. Sure, it's unpleasant to some, but rarely life threatening

Yes, heat exhaustion and heat stroke are serious problems. But they are uncommon, and they usually happen to people exerting themselves (ie running a race) or who are infirm (ie elderly in a house without A/C).
Staying hydrated is important. Having A/C significantly less so.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:42 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,910,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2? View Post
Well the one thing about me is that I never wear flip flops and shorts.

Of course sunscreen doesn't keep you cooler, but I don't want to end up with nasty burns.

NYC in August is disgustingly humid
You may want to start your day earlier than usual. Many attractions open early. If the kids want to sleep in, then a 12:00 pm start, then expect heat. Make breakfast part of the vacation. Find some cool[hip] place to eat. plan your mid-day close to AC. It remains hot, if not the hotest, arounf 3-5 pm.

Lots of amusement parks are great at night.

have a great time.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:52 AM

67,655 posts, read 60,273,788 times
Quote:
It's funny, reading what people put in here. They act like the sun is the seventh level of hell. Newsflash, poorer people (read, those without A/C or cars) live in warmer places. They have for centuries. Sure, it's unpleasant to some, but rarely life threatening

Yes, heat exhaustion and heat stroke are serious problems. But they are uncommon, and they usually happen to people exerting themselves (ie running a race) or who are infirm (ie elderly in a house without A/C).

Modern homes and businesses are built specifically TO BE AIR CONDITIONED. They often don't have windows or doors that offer cross ventilation, for example.

People become physically acclimated to certain temperatures and lifestyles. Living in Texas, I thought it was ironic that people in Europe were literally dying of heat stroke a few years ago when the temperatures climbed into the upper 80s and lower 90s. Their homes had no AC and they simply weren't used to those temperatures. So - they literally died in temps we'd consider pretty normal.

When I was in college, some friends from Michigan visited me in Georgia in the summertime. We went to Panama City, FL. By the end of the first day, one of them had heat exhaustion and was down for the count. By the second day, the other one was as well. They spent the next couple of days recovering in the hotel room. They simply were not used to the heat and humidity and their bodies (young healthy bodies, I might add) couldn't take it.

And no, they weren't dehydrated due to partying! Heck, we weren't even drinking at all! For one thing, we didn't even get the chance - the first guy cratered on us by the afternoon of Day One.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:39 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,222,154 times
Quote:

Thank you. Agree with all this. You will still find construction workers, joggers, and a few brave kids playing in the middle of the day in the middle of summer all over Tx. You will also find my 80+ year old dad outside cutting grass at 2pm weather permitting. And in the poorer areas you will find a lot of people with no A/C in their cars. I do admit you won't find me voluntarily in the heat, however.

Heat stroke is real, but it's not like it is some kind of stealthy creature that sneaks up on you. Most people in decent health can easily know their limitations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas