Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 4,449 times

Advertisements

I'm 19 years old, looking into colleges & would like to hear some opinions on Midwestern State University. I'm a Psych major at a community college right now & I'm planning on transferring in the next year.

I'm from Philadelphia, PA so I'd like to know more about Wichita Falls, what's it like there, what are the people like, etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 02:07 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,663,793 times
Wichita Falls is an extremely boring town unless you are there to raise a family. MSU is a good school....but if your looking for nightlife and to party to encompass that whole "college experience", then you would do what the rest do at MSU. They go to Dallas on the weekends. People are generally nice there, and there is a big Air Force Base

Last edited by badhornet; 05-18-2011 at 02:22 PM..

Old 05-18-2011, 03:35 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
What is the major factor in looking into MSU all the way from Philly?
How did you even hear about it?
There are alot of small schools in PA and no out of state tution to pay.

It is a nice small school in a nice small Tx town. Pretty low crime, fairly conservative, good cost of living. 2+ away from anything besides an Olive garden etc...
HOT in the summer and can be cold and windy in the winter.

Military pressence...Sheppard air base is there. Also soldiers from Ft Sill will come down on the weekends to get out of Lawton!

Old 05-19-2011, 07:42 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
My daughter's best friend's younger/only brother graduated from there last year--
he was a C+ or below student in high school--his parents sat on him but he had no interest in school and no driving ambition to go into any field in particular
took a degree in sports because that was what he liked and has success in as kid--but don't think he really played for his hs soccer team because he was not that good
his degree was in "athletic training and exercise philosophy"-
pee-wee basketball is how his sister described it
he is working for Big Lots managing the furniture dept at store in Dallas county and living with his folks still
he worked at liquor store in Wichita Falls almost the entire time he was in college and enjoyed the work--they loved him according to his mom--and he is very personable guy--good people skills like his dad who started out as a teacher after graduating from Indiana U and has had good career with General Mills for past 30 years or so
if boy had had a business degree he probably could have gotten job with company like Coors or big distributor but he could not handle the math that a business degree would have required

Midwestern apparently has an excellent cycling team
MSU Cycling Team : Midwestern State University : Wichita Falls, Texas
maybe because there is so much flat land to go for long rides

this site has several very positive reviews of Midwestern--all from 2000--so they are decade old now
Midwestern State University Reviews. Buying Guides & Consumer Product Reviews - Epinions.com
so they could be little contrived vs independently motivated posts

this is another site with reviews posted by students/former students
Midwestern State University (StudentsReview) - College Reviews Summary, Student Opinion, Tuition, Application, Sports

This college seems to be such a strange choice for someone from your area--
I too would like to know how it came under your radar--
you are going to be paying out of state tuition--that will be expensive
what makes it better for you than one in your local area or even another TX school?

Old 05-19-2011, 01:35 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Spoiler
My daughter's best friend's younger/only brother graduated from there last year--
he was a C+ or below student in high school--his parents sat on him but he had no interest in school and no driving ambition to go into any field in particular
took a degree in sports because that was what he liked and has success in as kid--but don't think he really played for his hs soccer team because he was not that good
his degree was in "athletic training and exercise philosophy"-
pee-wee basketball is how his sister described it
he is working for Big Lots managing the furniture dept at store in Dallas county and living with his folks still
he worked at liquor store in Wichita Falls almost the entire time he was in college and enjoyed the work--they loved him according to his mom--and he is very personable guy--good people skills like his dad who started out as a teacher after graduating from Indiana U and has had good career with General Mills for past 30 years or so
if boy had had a business degree he probably could have gotten job with company like Coors or big distributor but he could not handle the math that a business degree would have required

Midwestern apparently has an excellent cycling team
MSU Cycling Team : Midwestern State University : Wichita Falls, Texas
maybe because there is so much flat land to go for long rides
Spoiler

this site has several very positive reviews of Midwestern--all from 2000--so they are decade old now
Midwestern State University Reviews. Buying Guides & Consumer Product Reviews - Epinions.com
so they could be little contrived vs independently motivated posts

this is another site with reviews posted by students/former students
Midwestern State University (StudentsReview) - College Reviews Summary, Student Opinion, Tuition, Application, Sports

This college seems to be such a strange choice for someone from your area--
I too would like to know how it came under your radar--
you are going to be paying out of state tuition--that will be expensive
what makes it better for you than one in your local area or even another TX school?
Long rides indeed...

Hotter'N Hell 100
Quote:
The Hotter'N Hell Hundred is one of the oldest and largest cycling events in the nation. Fitness oriented riders and bicycle racers will come to Wichita Falls, Texas, from virtually every state and several foreign countries. They will set their calendars for the week of Aug. 25 - Aug. 28, 2011.
Quote:
It is important to accurately register for the event you intend to participate in. The USA Cycling races are for licensed racers who have paid or plan to pay a license fee to "race". Most of the 12000+ endurance cyclists that come for HHH will be registering for the Endurance ride. No license is required and you compete against your own personal best, the road, the wind and the heat.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:42 PM

5 posts, read 12,770 times
I have lived in Wichita Falls all my life (24 years). There are good and bad things about living here. Liked mentioned before, if you enjoy nightlife, there are just a few clubs here. More country bars than anything, and a fairly decent mix club (playing top 40, hip hop, country). The downtown here is starving since everything left the downtown area around 35 years ago. You can get anywhere in 15 minutes, which is nice.
MSU is a great achool. I have enjoyed going there. There is a lot of out of state students (and a large amount of students from the Caribbeans). There are many upgrades going on at the school, including a new wellness center with outside pool, which is right next to Sikes Lake, which is a small lake that has a nice running trail around it. The school is walking distance to the mall. Search up Sikes Senter Mall so you can see what stores our mall has. It is pretty pathetic. The mall looses great stores because the rent is so high, but hopefully we will get better clothing stores outside the mall.
Eateries...... places like Cheddars, Applebees, Texas Roadhouse, McDonalds, Sonic, Dairy Queen, Jack In The Box..... Nothing too great, and not an abundance of privately owned eateries, but a good number for how small WF is. Crime is unbelievably higher here then it is in NYC, but usually stays in certain areas of town.
Anything else you would like to know, just let me know.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:36 AM
T8R

1 posts, read 4,010 times
I am also considering Midwestern. I live in Texas and I have narrowed down my college choices between Angelo State and here. Is there anything of interest I should know if I decide to attend this college?

Old 01-18-2012, 01:22 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,981,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T8R View Post
I am also considering Midwestern. I live in Texas and I have narrowed down my college choices between Angelo State and here. Is there anything of interest I should know if I decide to attend this college?
It's a great school. My brother graduated from there with a Bachelor's in Criminal Justice, and it has served him well in his law enforcement career. I was in graduate school while he was attending, so I talked with his professors some while I was trying to get a federal law enforcement job (didn't work out) and was VERY impressed.

Wichita Falls is a nice town, cold in winter and hot hot hot in summer, and not tooooo terribly far from the metroplex.

He looked at Angelo State too, but chose Midwestern for some reason...both had good football teams and he had an athletic scholarship, so either would have worked out fine.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:35 PM

568 posts, read 961,805 times
Yep it is a good school and you will have P-L-E-N-T-Y of time to study. I suffered a bad case or rigor mortis I was so bored...

Old 01-18-2012, 07:14 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T8R View Post
As an ASU alumni, I would highly recommend giving ASU a closer look!! It's a really good school!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas