Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 05:35 PM

12 posts, read 38,845 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, we will look at the other towns mentioned.

My husband grew up in Virginia, but I am a California girl (5 generations worth, that's how awful CA politics and economy have become.) BTW, San Diego is actually quite humid, usually over 80%, but the temps are low enough that you don't notice it much. We will visit for a couple weeks in August to experience the area at its worst before moving.
h
Why a small town? More sense of community, less crime, less traffic. And I just don't like cities much. Tall buildings that block out the sun are my idea of hell on earth. And re the $5 coffee... nope! just a little cream, please. But no to chicken-fried steak... And yes, I did go to almost every football game when I was a teacher, so does that qualify me as a future Texan???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 03:21 PM

3 posts, read 7,038 times
Talking well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bev760 View Post
My husband and I are planning to move to the greater San Antonio area. From one short visit, and internet searches, either Boerne or Kerrville look like good options. I would welcome any suggestions or comments.

We are both retired so would prefer a smaller town without the daily driving hassles. He is retired military so we do want to be within an hour's drive of a base for medical care. We both teach part-time online, so the quality of internet providers is important. We don't want acreage, just a nice house on a large lot.

I have arthritis and am a little worried about the high humidity. Any one currently living there who has osteo arthritis and can comment, good or bad?

What about Farmer's Markets, local (non-chain) restaurants or shops? We will drive to San Antonio for the occasional large purchase so that isn't as important.
I would prolly go with Kerrville. It's a small quiet town for the most part, but it has some of the conveniences that other towns don't. Living in the hill country is beautiful in general, but in Kerrville you also live right on the river, which is even more beautiful.

I currently live in Kerrville, it does have a farmers market open to the public every Wednesday (big red barn on water st). Plenty of non-chain restaurants, lil shops and tons of antique shops to browse through. Also there is a VA hospital here.

There are plenty of housing options. As far as internet providers I personally use time warner cable, but there are many others.

As far as the humidity goes I don't thing it's bad, but I came from the texas coast so almost anything is better than that.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
With Boerne, it's evolving into suburban SA & you'll pay more for a house because of the good schools (which you won't need). Nice downtown, but not any nicer than a dozen other Greater SA small towns.

What are you looking for in the small town?

& what do you define as high humidity? (if you're from SoCal, it will seem humid.....if you're from Florida, VA or Houston, it'll seem dry).

Other towns I'd looks at (since excellent schools aren't an issue) would be Bandera (like Goodhugh mentioned), New Braunfels, Seguin, Gonzales, Kerrville (all county seats), maybe more. It kind of depends what you want in a small town. Are you looking for upscale & artsy or Mayberry? Do you prefer high school football & chicken fried steak or $5 coffee & a sushi joint? Honky Tonks or wine bars?
Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions.
Thanks for the suggestions! As to the type of town: no sushi needed, but independent restaurants & shops are a real plus. Love high school football, but can't eat gluten so I do need food options beyond deep-fat-fried...

Old 05-19-2013, 02:20 PM

20 posts, read 124,567 times
Whew! August will definitely show you the worst of the weather we experience. It will be extremely hot; humid, maybe, but not necessarily because of the long term drought. August and September are our worst weather months, IMO. I'm from Virginia, northern and central, where the humidity kept me indoors to the max. extent possible all summer. So I say it is not humid here in the Kerrville and Fredericksburg areas. My friend from Arizona says it's humid here, but I say we have very few humid days.

Be sure to spend time in the Hill Country towns northwest of San Antonio because the temperature will be at least 5* lower than in S.A. I love Bandera, a town that carefully maintains its "cowboy town" image, but I chose not to live there because shopping is inconvenient. There is only one, not too desirable, grocery store. Kerrville and Fredericksburg each have nice Walmart stores as well as HEB groceries.

I generally prefer Fredericksburg to Kerrville because of its walkability if you live in town, which is very nice. You can walk to the shops for a coffee and pie, an ice cream, or a good dinner, walk to the farmer's market on Thursday afternoon, walk or ride a bike to the HEB grocery store. On the other hand, Kerrville has Home Depot and Lowe's, office supply stores, etc. Kerrville is probably twice the size of Fredericksburg and therefore has more commerce. If one lives in Fredericksburg, one drives the 30 miles to Kerrville to do certain kinds of shopping, although Fredericksburg has several hardware, building supply stores. Thirty miles is not far around here as the speed limit is 70 mph and there is no traffic. Major shopping, like malls, or Costco, are in San Antonio, about a 45 minute drive (speed limit on the Interstate is 75 mph, and no traffic).

Old 06-27-2013, 06:18 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,489 times
Quote:
BTW, San Diego is actually quite humid, usually over 80%?
There is no way the humidity can be compared to San Diego. I use to live by coast but my Grandma lived in Escondido where is more hot and even there it cannot be compared. South TX is humid and all locals say is "just wait til July and August"

Old 06-28-2013, 03:52 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,334,408 times
If y'all choose Kerrville, be sure & behave yourselves - my nephew is the tallest cop (6'7") on the local police force.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:33 PM

5 posts, read 9,316 times
Quote:
My husband and I are planning to move to the greater San Antonio area. From one short visit, and internet searches, either Boerne or Kerrville look like good options. I would welcome any suggestions or comments.

We are both retired so would prefer a smaller town without the daily driving hassles. He is retired military so we do want to be within an hour's drive of a base for medical care. We both teach part-time online, so the quality of internet providers is important. We don't want acreage, just a nice house on a large lot.

I have arthritis and am a little worried about the high humidity. Any one currently living there who has osteo arthritis and can comment, good or bad?

What about Farmer's Markets, local (non-chain) restaurants or shops? We will drive to San Antonio for the occasional large purchase so that isn't as important.

You must come and visit both Boerne and Kerrville! I've lived in most sections of this state and by far, the best area is the Hill Country. Kerrville is a regional hub and home to Schriener College. Both areas are in the beautiful Texas Hill Country. Boerne is the hot spot and getting the most attention right now.

Boerne was rated by CNN's Money magazine as the top place to live based on such factors as median income, state income taxes, housing prices, educational standards, quality of life, divorce rates and weather. Boerne scored first across all categories! Check out Kendall County website for more demographics. Look at Kerr County for Kerrville information.

Shopping, visiting the area's beautiful caves, exploring the local nature center, enjoying historically-authenic exhibits, birding, cycling, hunting are all at in this beautiful area of the Texas Hill Country. Liveability is high with Boerne's cultural amenities, sustainability and hiking distance within the historic main street. Watch the ducks waddle in town along river park! The prestigious Boerne School District is highly rated.

And you are still close enough to travel to San Antonio with easy 1-10 access. It is a 30 minute drive in rush hour traffic, but can be shorter on some days. San Antonio is a unique city and can provide you with amenities that small town living might not offer. So if you need a quick city fix, you are only minutes away while still living the relaxed, quality lifestyle you prefer.

Yes, Boerne and Kerrville have farmer's markets and an emphasis on healthy living with large medical facilities. You are closer to the military base if living in Boerne. There are plenty of culinary experiences that you will find to your liking.

[Mod cut]

Last edited by ElkHunter; 02-06-2014 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: TOS Violation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas