Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 08:52 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
You do realize that most of the bad things that happens in ghettos happens between people that know each other, right?

That reminds me of people who are always talking about wanting to go to a certain restaurant that's located in a ghetto area, but are afraid that the people there are going to mug them. I guarantee you that most those people have bigger problems on their mind than some tourist passing through.

And just so you know, in Austin a good stretch of MLK runs right in front of the University of Texas.
He specifically asked for suggestions on how to avoid bad areas. I provided suggestions on how to avoid bad areas. I don't care if what I said seemed "racist" or "ignorant". I don't care if peoples' delicate sensibilities were ruffled. The FBI releases a Uniform Crime Report every year. The findings are always very politically incorrect, but they are what they are. I don't see any point in trying to sugar-coat the fact that some neighborhoods are going to be more dangerous than others.

Is it a guarantee that something bad will happen to him if he goes to a bad neighborhood? No, of course not. But why take the risk? Most people probably do have more important things on their mind than a tourist, but there are always people who see a tourist as easy pickins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 09:00 AM

32 posts, read 62,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
If you understand all that, you are going to be fine. How you described it is exactly how it is in Texas and most other states (FL being an excellent example) as far as there being good and bad parts.

What the foreign press tends to do is distribute the entirety of American crime evenly amongst entire states. In reality, crime is generally very localized and most Americans will live their entire lives with minimal or no exposure to crime, particularly violent crime.

Also, I think you have chosen some good potential places to visit if you want to observe and "live" the average Texas lifestyle. When I was in England, I enjoyed all of the touristy things to do in London, but I never thought of London as "real" England in the same way as the smaller villages I visited. One of my favorite aspects of temporarily living in England was going to smaller towns, sitting in a pub or cafe and simply watching how people lived and conversing with them. If you want to see "real" Texas and don't mind a lack of touristy things to do, definitely visit some of those non-touristy locations you have mentioned.
just for your personal opinion im deciding between Denton, Temple, San Angelo, Abiline, Wichita Falls....and the wildcard lol, Amarillo, which would you pick in my shoes? think of those villages compared to london, im kinda looking for the same thing but not as small a place as you may have gone to in england, a taste of how life really is and just being around the locals, i really enjoy it and find it so much better than slogging round big cities taking in the routine attractions, and of course this is not a regular holiday, i will after all be staying for a fairly long time, not your typical 1-2 week trip, so i can still do that if i decide i want to, and of course i will take in some of the routine holiday things, as im sure id enjoy them!

Old 04-25-2013, 09:03 AM

32 posts, read 62,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
I was about halfway between Weymouth (known locally as Weybiza) and the larger towns of Poole and Bournemouth. We loved Dorset, even with the winter gales, and lack of motorways. Friendly people, beautiful scenery, and right on the Channel Coast.
great area actually, bournemouth was a place i visited all the time growing up, my grandparents lived there and i have very good memories of the gardens and the pier there, so glad your recommending texas knowing you know and like those parts of the uk!

Old 04-25-2013, 12:52 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,033,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_1981 View Post
just for your personal opinion im deciding between Denton, Temple, San Angelo, Abiline, Wichita Falls....and the wildcard lol, Amarillo, which would you pick in my shoes? think of those villages compared to london, im kinda looking for the same thing but not as small a place as you may have gone to in england, a taste of how life really is and just being around the locals, i really enjoy it and find it so much better than slogging round big cities taking in the routine attractions, and of course this is not a regular holiday, i will after all be staying for a fairly long time, not your typical 1-2 week trip, so i can still do that if i decide i want to, and of course i will take in some of the routine holiday things, as im sure id enjoy them!
If I were you, I would pick Temple from your list above. You might also consider Waco. They're smaller than the larger cities and would give you that feel of a typical Texas town experience but would be a shorter drive to some of the more interesting areas/attractions in Texas you might want to see. I live in Abilene and I've lived in San Angelo. Anywhere out here in West Texas is going to be a long drive to any of those more interesting areas/attractions here in Texas.

Last edited by TT Dave; 04-25-2013 at 01:01 PM..

Old 04-25-2013, 01:21 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,976,193 times
Quote:
My personal favorite is San Angelo.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:04 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Thumbs up British Consulate General

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
You'll be more than fine - if you're friendly, Texans will love you because of your accent! Get used to people just starting up a conversation with you wherever - the grocery store, a bar, the park, etc. I'm a 43-year-old female native Texan who has lived all over the state, and never once have I had a gun pointed at me! LOL I do have my concealed handgun license and I grew up with guns, but you will not see people out in public carrying them. Crime happens, yes, but it isn't like everywhere you go you will see a crime being committed. It is no different than in Europe. When I was in Rome/Paris/Prague/Berlin, I stayed out of the seedy areas; just do the same here, and you'll be fine.

As far as cities to visit, you'll probably be disappointed in Amarillo, Wichita Falls, and Lubbock. While nice enough to live, they aren't really the most interesting places to visit. I would suggest you see Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio, South Padre Island or Rockport/Port Aransas (if you like the beach), and the Big Bend area of West Texas if you like hiking and "back county" experiences. Eat a lot of Mexican food and seafood and just have fun!!!
I think the city that is the location of the British Council General, serving the states of Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas and Oklahoma might be a good choice as well, and while you are here, check out the Richmond Arms Pub, amongst other places, They have an awsome lunch menue not to mention their pints are a bit large.

https://www.gov.uk/government/world/...eneral-houston

The Richmond Arms Pub - Houston, TX

Old 04-25-2013, 02:07 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
There is a great adventure to be had by a Brit going to Texas. You can wander out into the dry lands - buy some cool boots...get a fine hat...Get yourself a really nice gun...make some friends...drink whiskey and shoot at tin cans...I wish I was going.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:11 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,604 times
Quote:
I lived, off and on, in Temple for about 10 years. Not much going on. San Antonio would be better for entertainment purposes. Lots to do/see with the River Walk, The Alamo, the Mission Trail, loads of shopping, and it's only an hour or so to Austin, the live music capitol of the world.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:38 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
Quote:
.... im deciding between Denton, Temple, San Angelo, Abiline, Wichita Falls.....
huh?

Denton & San Angelo are nice towns. Abilene is nice but kinda "family oriented". Don't know WF & Temple is a odd town (& kind of dumpy with upper middle quasi/suburbanites & poor folks who work for them. (heck Belton down the road is more of a "real" texan town...& the county seat.)

But all are WAY too far from where you need to be & where you'll want to visit. If it's small town, then New Braunfels (if you're 24+) or San Marcos (if you're under 24). Big town? San Antonio or Austin.

But even Lockhart, Fburg or Seguin would be better than the towns you name. (& what about Kerrville, or maybe La Grange?) All are county seats, btw.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:47 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,976,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
huh?

Denton & San Angelo are nice towns. Abilene is nice but kinda "family oriented". Don't know WF & Temple is a odd town (& kind of dumpy with upper middle quasi/suburbanites & poor folks who work for them. (heck Belton down the road is more of a "real" texan town...& the county seat.)

But all are WAY too far from where you need to be & where you'll want to visit. If it's small town, then New Braunfels (if you're 24+) or San Marcos (if you're under 24). Big town? San Antonio or Austin.

But even Lockhart, Fburg or Seguin would be better than the towns you name. (& what about Kerrville, or maybe La Grange?) All are county seats, btw.
I second La Grange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas