Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 07:17 PM

15 posts, read 33,827 times

Advertisements

I'm making the move from Wisconsin to Texas next month, and this is a BIG deal to me! We're huge and pickey with our beer up here, and Miller, Bud, Coors, Busch, Guinness, etc do not do it for me. My three favorites:

Leinenkugel's (Canoe Paddler & Octoberfest specifically)
Lake Front Brewery (Wisconsinite specifically)
New Glarus (Spotted Cow specifically)

I'd also settle for Point.

Are any of these available there? I'm so afraid that I won't be able to find a good beer after I move there and will be forced to settle for Miller Lite.

Please let me know...I love beer.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 07:53 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
I know I've seen that Leinenkugel one here. Central Market and Specs Liquor have pretty extensive selections, and if you don't see something you want, they will order it for you.

You might want to check out some Texas beers. We actually have a couple that are well known and appreciated nationwide:
Rahr & Sons Brewing Company
Shiner.com
Lone Star Beer
Saint Arnold Brewing Company - Texas' Oldest Craft Brewery

Don't worry, you won't be stuck drinking Miller Lite. Most of us Texans won't touch that stuff, either...

Old 04-25-2013, 08:23 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,423 times
Where are you moving in Texas? Texas is a huge place, and the quantity and quality of beer will, of course, depend on where you are.

You won't find your favorite Wisconsin craft beers here, simply because they are still localized in Wisconsin and the Midwest. There are only a handful of craft brewers that have a nationwide presence. I have never seen Lakefront or New Glarus here in DFW. I have seen Leinenkugel's, but seeing as how they are a Miller beer, they have Miller's distribution network so it makes sense that they have a bigger footprint.

That said, you won't be lacking in craft options. The craft beer scene for Texas has expanded quite a bit in the last few years. Austin has the most local breweries, but DFW and Houston are both charging ahead. Places like Whole Foods, Central Market, Specs, etc. will have not only Texas beers, but also regional selections from craft brewers out of state. There are beer bars in all the big cities that focus specifically on craft beer.

And even if you don't end up in one of the major cities, there are still Texas options. Shiner will be in every gas station you can find, so you'll never be forced to settle on Miller or Coors or Bud if you don't want to.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:28 PM

15 posts, read 33,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
Where are you moving in Texas? Texas is a huge place, and the quantity and quality of beer will, of course, depend on where you are.

You won't find your favorite Wisconsin craft beers here, simply because they are still localized in Wisconsin and the Midwest. There are only a handful of craft brewers that have a nationwide presence. I have never seen Lakefront or New Glarus here in DFW. I have seen Leinenkugel's, but seeing as how they are a Miller beer, they have Miller's distribution network so it makes sense that they have a bigger footprint.

That said, you won't be lacking in craft options. The craft beer scene for Texas has expanded quite a bit in the last few years. Austin has the most local breweries, but DFW and Houston are both charging ahead. Places like Whole Foods, Central Market, Specs, etc. will have not only Texas beers, but also regional selections from craft brewers out of state. There are beer bars in all the big cities that focus specifically on craft beer.

And even if you don't end up in one of the major cities, there are still Texas options. Shiner will be in every gas station you can find, so you'll never be forced to settle on Miller or Coors or Bud if you don't want to.

I'm definitely moving to the DFW area. At least now I know i'll have my Leines!

Old 04-25-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIgirl85 View Post
I'm definitely moving to the DFW area. At least now I know i'll have my Leines!
Then you're going to be fine. Between craft beer bars and grocery stores/liquor stores, we have tons of craft options.

Some local breweries to watch out for:

Deep Ellum
Lakewood
Peticolas
Franconia
Rahr and Sons
Community
Four Corners
Martin House
Revolver
Cedar Creek
FireWheel

With at least 5 more in the works set to open in the next year or so. Between those and imported craft, you'll be just fine.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:32 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
There are many fine beers made in Texas and it is easy to find other craft beers almost anywhere.

The wiki has a good list:

List of breweries in Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-26-2013, 02:40 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
Then you're going to be fine. Between craft beer bars and grocery stores/liquor stores, we have tons of craft options.

Some local breweries to watch out for:

Deep Ellum
Lakewood
Peticolas
Franconia
Rahr and Sons
Community
Four Corners
Martin House
Revolver
Cedar Creek
FireWheel

With at least 5 more in the works set to open in the next year or so. Between those and imported craft, you'll be just fine.
There is almost no reason to go offshore for good beer. There are very few good beers made in Canada, Mexico, Australia, or Asia. Germany and Britain are worthy locations to go for great beers. If you want to explore outside DFW, then go to other Texas breweries or of course the vast selection of US craft brews.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:21 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
I was just at Target this evening, and they had several varieties of Leinenkugel.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
There is almost no reason to go offshore for good beer. There are very few good beers made in Canada, Mexico, Australia, or Asia. Germany and Britain are worthy locations to go for great beers. If you want to explore outside DFW, then go to other Texas breweries or of course the vast selection of US craft brews.
I had poor word choice. I meant imported in a more colloquial way, as in, shipped from anywhere that isn't DFW. So Texas Craft and US Craft in general. There are several bars here that list Budweiser and Miler and the like as "imported." My bad!

Old 04-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
No Spotted Cow here. I read somewhere that the New Glarus Brewery doesn't distribute that outside Wisconsin. But I'm right there with you in wishing it were available. Bring some with you when you move!

I've been amazed at how many Leinenkugel varieties are available, although I'm not familiar with the two you mentioned.

You'll have fun exploring the many varieties of Shiner that are available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: