Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 02:59 AM

562 posts, read 989,418 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

So casually my significant other and I discuss moving to other states. It's definitely something we have considered and Texas happens to be on a fairly large list. We know that we are probably predisposed to some biases so we want to clear that up before further considering the state.

Background: I am a recent college graduate working in the Cybersecurity industry. I really would like to live in a "tech megalopolis" like silicon valley or Seattle but those places are becoming incredibly expensive so I am picking and choosing my battles which has left me with some suggestions of big TX metros.

We are both fairly center-spectrum politically and tend to keep to ourselves. She is Lutheran (though not involved) and I am Neopagan with a general interest in occult subjects. I am huge into electronic music (clubbing etc.) and nerdy things like tabletop/video gaming and such. She is in music education and her ideal work would be in band direction within the school system. Areas with a strong public arts program in the schools and community is a plus for us both.

So I have several seemingly unrelated questions:

1. As associated with the general political climate, people [so I've heard] in Texas generally have a resoundingly negative opinion of public services which includes but is not limited to the school system. If this turns out to be the case, is my SO at a significant disadvantage trying to find a teaching job in the arts in the Texas school system? If she manages to find one, is her salary going to be significantly lower than other states?
2. Is it overblown how much of life in TX revolves around church? Here even in central IL, there are lots of church going young people who do religious activities exclusively. As a pagan, its not like I am burned at the stake [so to speak, haha] but its implicit that I am not to be included in such events for whatever reasons. I have negative suspicions but again, will withhold judgment. Is this a problem for making friends in Texas?
3. What would you say the metro closest to the least extreme climate zone within the state? My first instinct is San Antonio simply because it seems to be in a more arid climate but if I could avoid the desert, that would be awesome.

Sorry for the sort of random sets of questions. I figured I'd pick interesting ones to open the thread, hey?

Take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 08:22 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Short answer: No problem. Austin. You'll understand when you get there.

I can't advise on availability of teaching jobs in Texas but in Texas public schools, the arts are alive and doing well.

The only overblown aspect of life and churches in Texas are gossip, by those who do, as well as do not appreciate religious affiliations. Texas is more live and let live, including pagans. It is not likely that you'd be burned at the stake (or as steak) unless you bay like a goat and become exceedingly annoying. Otherwise you shouldn't have a problem making friends.

You missed 2013, try for next year... Welcome to SXSW 2013 | SXSW 2013

Old 05-25-2013, 08:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
As for your first set of questions - I wouldn't know the answers to those. I would think it would be pretty easy to find info on comparative rates of pay by state and industry. However, keep in mind that most areas of Texas have a sometimes MUCH lower cost of living than in other areas - even in the metro areas of Texas life can be very affordable.

Questions about church activities - yes, that stereotype is definitely overblown when it comes to Texas. I am not a native Texan but moved here about twenty years ago. I am simply not that big into church activities. Actually, to be brutally honest, I don't care for them at all. I have never felt pressured to attend any church activities, nor have I ever been ostracized because I'm not a "church lady!"

And I live in a very small town of 13,000 so there you have it.

Areas to consider - the San Antonio/Austin metroplex would be the first I'd look into if I were you. FUN FUN FUN - and beautiful scenery - and many areas are very affordable.

Don't rule out Dallas/Fort Worth either. I actually prefer Fort Worth because it's a bit smaller, and definitely more artsy and quirky than Dallas - but that's a huge, sprawling metro area so there are lots of options there.

Houston has some positives, even though in my opinion the city itself isn't actually beautiful. But it's got tons of diversity, great restaurants, a hoppin' night scene (Austin does too for that matter), and it's close to the beach. I have to warn you though - Houston is one of the most humid places on this earth.

A smaller area that's definitely not desert is the Tyler/Longview metro, nestled two hours from Dallas and one hour from Shreveport, LA just off I-20. It's in northeast Texas and the area is more rural, very green, lakes galore, lots of big trees and rolling hills. Tyler has a lot of white collar type jobs and both towns (40 miles apart) have some very large companies, lots of VERY affordable housing, and the area itself is truly beautiful. HOWEVER - IT HAS NO NIGHT LIFE TO SPEAK OF. I mean it - it's a very family-oriented area.

Anyway, hope this helps!

Old 05-25-2013, 08:42 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Austin, Houston, Dallas. Because of your job field, I'd put Austin well above San Antonio.

Dallas/north Texas is probably the most extreme climate of the state (colder winters and hotter summers, occasional tornado threat and ice) but all places will be extremely hot in the summer compared to somewhere like Seattle.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:19 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,952,513 times
Austin would definitely be my recommendation. And all that churchy "stuff" is more prevalent in East Texas & places like Abilene, but I think you correct in saying it is WAY overblown.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:49 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
It is funny to read the ideas that people have of Texas.

You might think we have dirt roads, no fire departments, one room schools, and no social services at all.

We have cleaner and better roads than California (better public schools too). We have less crime than California.

I have no idea whether my neighbors religious or not. Nor most of my co-workers.

Lots of fine arts is taught in public schools. My kids all had excellent art teachers and competed in state level art competition.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:28 PM

562 posts, read 989,418 times
Thanks for your replies, they are well considered. I will have more questions soon enough so I will come back to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
It is funny to read the ideas that people have of Texas.

You might think we have dirt roads, no fire departments, one room schools, and no social services at all.

We have cleaner and better roads than California (better public schools too). We have less crime than California.

I have no idea whether my neighbors religious or not. Nor most of my co-workers.

Lots of fine arts is taught in public schools. My kids all had excellent art teachers and competed in state level art competition.
Same sorts of stereotypes apply about Illinois but stereotypes exist for a reason, and luckily we have things like message boards on the internet to dispel (or inflate) them.

All of this said, I thought my questions were legitimate. The one about school funding especially so since even on this subforum there are loads of people who absolutely hate taxation. If this sort of thing is reflected in the school system, why would I not ask? That's something that could impact our livelihood.

I have a pretty positive impression of Texas metro areas so far. Austin is probably first on the list as a tech hub with okay-ish (relatively) weather.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:29 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Don't be deceived by $ per student spending numbers. They are never adjusted for cost of living.

I think the most truthful thing about Texas schools is that they vary widely in academic performance. The #1 reason is the demographics of the student body in each school district and campus.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:46 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
As for your first set of questions - I wouldn't know the answers to those. I would think it would be pretty easy to find info on comparative rates of pay by state and industry. However, keep in mind that most areas of Texas have a sometimes MUCH lower cost of living than in other areas - even in the metro areas of Texas life can be very affordable.

Questions about church activities - yes, that stereotype is definitely overblown when it comes to Texas. I am not a native Texan but moved here about twenty years ago. I am simply not that big into church activities. Actually, to be brutally honest, I don't care for them at all. I have never felt pressured to attend any church activities, nor have I ever been ostracized because I'm not a "church lady!"

And I live in a very small town of 13,000 so there you have it.

Areas to consider - the San Antonio/Austin metroplex would be the first I'd look into if I were you. FUN FUN FUN - and beautiful scenery - and many areas are very affordable.

Don't rule out Dallas/Fort Worth either. I actually prefer Fort Worth because it's a bit smaller, and definitely more artsy and quirky than Dallas - but that's a huge, sprawling metro area so there are lots of options there.

Houston has some positives, even though in my opinion the city itself isn't actually beautiful. But it's got tons of diversity, great restaurants, a hoppin' night scene (Austin does too for that matter), and it's close to the beach. I have to warn you though - Houston is one of the most humid places on this earth.

A smaller area that's definitely not desert is the Tyler/Longview metro, nestled two hours from Dallas and one hour from Shreveport, LA just off I-20. It's in northeast Texas and the area is more rural, very green, lakes galore, lots of big trees and rolling hills. Tyler has a lot of white collar type jobs and both towns (40 miles apart) have some very large companies, lots of VERY affordable housing, and the area itself is truly beautiful. HOWEVER - IT HAS NO NIGHT LIFE TO SPEAK OF. I mean it - it's a very family-oriented area.

Anyway, hope this helps!
as a native of the real Metroplex, I have to say there is only one metroplex and it is Dallas/Fort Worth.No offense intended.Thank you.

Last edited by Westerntraveler; 05-25-2013 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: clairfication

Old 05-25-2013, 05:37 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
as a native of the real Metroplex, I have to say there is only one metroplex and it is Dallas/Fort Worth.No offense intended.Thank you.
LOL OK - if you want to tell yourself that the Austin/San Antonio area as well as the Houston area aren't metroplexes, that's fine with me. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas