Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 07:31 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crono_clone View Post
Isn't it funny that Austin is the only one considered as "known for having a fun nightlife"? Dallas would probably be very offended by that.
Depends on what you like to do. Dallas's nightlife is one of three things: dangerous/seedy, hipster/douchey, or annoyingly glossy. I preferred the nightlife in Austin, but that was the Austin of 15-20 years ago. Not now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Actually they singled out Austin as being the cool city. Funny they got this from a guy who moved from LA and was born in the Chi and admitted to knowing nothing about Texas and said he loved Austin because it wasn't Texas. As he stated everything outside of Austin in Texas is conservative and big hats and oil rigs and other bs. Too many close minded transplant idiots like this living in the little bubble of Austin.
Yup...the article didn't really praise Houston as much as it fawned and drooled over Austin. Poor Austin...it's ruined. I feel sorry for people who were living there in the mid-1990s. I'm sure they don't recognize the place now. It's crowded and miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 08:57 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,884,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Depends on what you like to do. Dallas's nightlife is one of three things: dangerous/seedy, hipster/douchey, or annoyingly glossy. I preferred the nightlife in Austin, but that was the Austin of 15-20 years ago. Not now.

Yup...the article didn't really praise Houston as much as it fawned and drooled over Austin. Poor Austin...it's ruined. I feel sorry for people who were living there in the mid-1990s. I'm sure they don't recognize the place now. It's crowded and miserable.
Yep...I'm hoping to leave Austin for Houston because inner city Houston reminds me of what Austin used to be. And the people in Houston are far more genuine, diverse, and friendly. I can't wait to get out of Austin.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:52 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,616,690 times
This is a really good thread discussion. Austin was pretty good even as recently as 2005 but now I can hardly recognize the city on my trips back these days and salaries there are dismal. I would want to live in Houston as soon as I can find the Right Career there so my paycheck can really go far.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:53 AM

785 posts, read 1,234,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

Media hype is wonderful, isn't it? The nightlife in each major Texas city is pretty happenin' (I haven't been out to San Antonio's though unless you count the Riverwalk, which I'm pretty sure doesn't really count hehe) but they made it sound like only Austin has something viable.

Unfortunately the media is now falling all over themselves to see who can ram their nose up Houston's backside the farthest, so the same lemmings that flocked to Austin are now starting to flock here.

Houston nightlife is a lot more spread out though, unlike Austin's concentration around Sixth Street/SoCo. Maybe we'll fare a little better? I at least have the option of partying downtown or in Montrose when I wanna avoid the d-bags in Midtown or Washington Ave, hehe.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:19 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono_clone View Post
Media hype is wonderful, isn't it? The nightlife in each major Texas city is pretty happenin' (I haven't been out to San Antonio's though unless you count the Riverwalk, which I'm pretty sure doesn't really count hehe) but they made it sound like only Austin has something viable.

Unfortunately the media is now falling all over themselves to see who can ram their nose up Houston's backside the farthest, so the same lemmings that flocked to Austin are now starting to flock here.

Houston nightlife is a lot more spread out though, unlike Austin's concentration around Sixth Street/SoCo. Maybe we'll fare a little better? I at least have the option of partying downtown or in Montrose when I wanna avoid the d-bags in Midtown or Washington Ave, hehe.
I don't think Houston will end up like Austin cuz it's more diversity within the flock of transplants. In Austin it's pretty much 1 demographic of transplants. Im not trying to generalize but this is just an observation I've noticed.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:30 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post

Houston is top because of the region's relatively low cost of living, including consumer prices, utilities and transport costs and, most importantly, housing prices, he says.
"The ratio of the median home price to median annual household income in Houston is only 2.9. In San Francisco, it's 6.7. Dalparadise?

:
Not sure why you're calling me out. I have never claimed that Houston wasn't more affordable to buy a home. SF is absurd in this regard. The median in the City just topped $1,000,000! It's half that or better elsewhere in the Bay Area, but still too high for a middle class Houston buyer.

However, the Bay Area economy is booming too and we are growing in population rapidly (contributing to the 30%+ rise in home costs in the last year). So, some can afford it and see living here as a good value for the money. How did you and I not see eye-to-eye on this simple point? Houston CD posters like to remind us that it must be doing something right to have 6,000,000 residents. They're right, but doesn't the same logic apply to the Bay Area's nearly 8,000,000 or New York's 20,000,000?

I believe I got good value for my money in Houston, too. I lived there more than 20 years! I wasn't crazy, nor did I lack the means to move elsewhere sooner than I did. My preferences and priorities changed. My story could have easily been reversed, as it is for many.

I simply believe that, while I pay more to live in the heart of SF, what I get is more valuable to me, as traditional middle-class family values aren't as important me. There are places within this metro area where I can live and enjoy middle-class family values at affordable rates. They are towns, in and of themselves, not the Houston idea of suburbs, though, which I prefer. I might be there one day. Or, maybe I'll live in SF forever, as I hope to. I might even decide one day to move back to Texas, perhaps to retire.

My only problem with Houston was that, unlike in the Bay Area, where it is possible to find places that offer a Houston-like lifestyle, Houston offered almost no semblance of a San Francisco lifestyle. I don't believe that's a Houston failing, it's just a reason I prefer SF.

As a proud former Houstonian, I would like to see Houston have a greater sense of place and a more distinct identity. Its people are its source of identity now. As a place, visually, geographically, architecturally, monumentally, and even culturally, etc. it isn't as distinct as a place as big and diverse as it is should be, in my opinion. I agree with you, it offers quite a bit more to people with middle-class means. That's not everyone, though.

If your values and tastes lean more toward dense, urban living, cafe and wine culture, hiking, skiing, camping and mountain scenery, and mild year-round weather, and you are willing and able to pay for it, Houston doesn't come close to the Bay Area. Only a few places in the world do.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:22 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,770,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Not sure why you're calling me out. I have never claimed that Houston wasn't more affordable to buy a home. SF is absurd in this regard. The median in the City just topped $1,000,000! It's half that or better elsewhere in the Bay Area, but still too high for a middle class Houston buyer.

However, the Bay Area economy is booming too and we are growing in population rapidly (contributing to the 30%+ rise in home costs in the last year). So, some can afford it and see living here as a good value for the money. How did you and I not see eye-to-eye on this simple point? Houston CD posters like to remind us that it must be doing something right to have 6,000,000 residents. They're right, but doesn't the same logic apply to the Bay Area's nearly 8,000,000 or New York's 20,000,000?

I believe I got good value for my money in Houston, too. I lived there more than 20 years! I wasn't crazy, nor did I lack the means to move elsewhere sooner than I did. My preferences and priorities changed. My story could have easily been reversed, as it is for many.

I simply believe that, while I pay more to live in the heart of SF, what I get is more valuable to me, as traditional middle-class family values aren't as important me. There are places within this metro area where I can live and enjoy middle-class family values at affordable rates. They are towns, in and of themselves, not the Houston idea of suburbs, though, which I prefer. I might be there one day. Or, maybe I'll live in SF forever, as I hope to. I might even decide one day to move back to Texas, perhaps to retire.

My only problem with Houston was that, unlike in the Bay Area, where it is possible to find places that offer a Houston-like lifestyle, Houston offered almost no semblance of a San Francisco lifestyle. I don't believe that's a Houston failing, it's just a reason I prefer SF.

As a proud former Houstonian, I would like to see Houston have a greater sense of place and a more distinct identity. Its people are its source of identity now. As a place, visually, geographically, architecturally, monumentally, and even culturally, etc. it isn't as distinct as a place as big and diverse as it is should be, in my opinion. I agree with you, it offers quite a bit more to people with middle-class means. That's not everyone, though.

If your values and tastes lean more toward dense, urban living, cafe and wine culture, hiking, skiing, camping and mountain scenery, and mild year-round weather, and you are willing and able to pay for it, Houston doesn't come close to the Bay Area. Only a few places in the world do.
Dal, Dal, Dal...I wasn't calling you out. I just wanted you to comment on that insane 6.7 to 1 ratio. That is off the charts. I think we both agree on that. And I never argued about all those things SF has, I just always said that I think they are over priced. And with the money I save living in Houston, honest to God, I could fly every weekend to SF and enjoy it without ever living there! That's how much money you save. Hell the savings in state income taxes alone would pay for round trip airfare into Oakland on southwest airlines and also for a nice hotel and a few nice meals out.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:41 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Dal, Dal, Dal...I wasn't calling you out. I just wanted you to comment on that insane 6.7 to 1 ratio. That is off the charts. I think we both agree on that. And I never argued about all those things SF has, I just always said that I think they are over priced. And with the money I save living in Houston, honest to God, I could fly every weekend to SF and enjoy it without ever living there! That's how much money you save. Hell the savings in state income taxes alone would pay for round trip airfare into Oakland on southwest airlines and also for a nice hotel and a few nice meals out.
You obviously haven't priced "nice hotels" in SF lately.

By the way, if you would like to come out to SF, I'd be happy to treat you to dinner, just to demonstrate how real Texans treat strangers and visitors.

Last edited by dalparadise; 06-01-2013 at 09:50 PM..

Old 06-01-2013, 09:42 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,000 times
Quote:
Yeah, I was like what are you talking about! You might need to bring your gun and stay in Vallejo for what he's quoting, but I guess it's jek we're talking about.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:36 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,770,622 times
Quote:

By the way, if you would like to come out to SF, I'd be happy to treat you to dinner, just to demonstrate how real Texans treat strangers and visitors.
Actually I have. BTW, I have used hotels.com and priceline.com for last minute hotel bookings in NY, Chicago and LA and have stayed at 4 star hotels for $100 a night. All last minute type deals. But let's play with some numbers. Let's say $250 a night. Someone making 120k a year in Houston will save close to 12k in state income taxes. I rounded up a little just to make the numbers round. That's 1k a month. Say I wanted to come up to SF once a month, we'll be more reasonable. Who wants to fly out every weekend right? Airfare I can score for $200, hotel I can probably get cheaper then 250 a night but let's go with $250 a night for two nights. That's $700. That leaves me $300 for cabs, dinner and a show! Now that's just on tax savings alone. Let's take the $1500 a month I'll save on rent at least (1k in Houston for a 2500 apt in SF). That 1500 would more then pay for a 2nd trip a month to SF. And If I had a mortgage, hell, then I could fly up every weekend with the savings but I think I would tire of SF after a few trips so I would spread the love around and go to NY, Boston, Miami, etc. Do you have any problems with my numbers Dal?[personal attack]

Last edited by Oildog; 06-08-2013 at 02:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas