Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 11:50 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,829 times

Advertisements

The Valley has the most consistent weather - Corpus Christi to Brownsville to Edinburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 12:43 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,953,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
The Valley has the most consistent weather - Corpus Christi to Brownsville to Edinburg.
Not to be picky (OK--to be picky), Corpus is not the Valley. It's more properly called the Coastal Bend.

I think the RGV probably does have the most consistent, aka boring, weather. It really is not as humid as some believe. It can be, rarely, but generally it's not as humid as Houston or even Corpus.
I agree that the OP is not going to find his or her "ideal" weather anywhere in Texas.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:59 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,623,472 times
I'd look at El Paso

Old 06-07-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
I'd look at El Paso
Actually, I moved to the RGV from El Paso. At least in El Paso, we did actually have seasons. Perfect weather in May & October, monsoon rains July through September, and winter with snow (at least on the mountains). I would have to get my air conditioners turned on every April & turned off every October (swamp coolers) so I could use the house's furnaces.

Here in the Valley, I use the A/C yearround, and never have any need to wear anything other than shorts and t shirts. At least in El Paso, I could wear jeans & boots half the year.

I am not a fan of the never-changing RGV weather.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:21 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Not to be picky (OK--to be picky), Corpus is not the Valley. It's more properly called the Coastal Bend.

I think the RGV probably does have the most consistent, aka boring, weather. It really is not as humid as some believe. It can be, rarely, but generally it's not as humid as Houston or even Corpus.
I agree that the OP is not going to find his or her "ideal" weather anywhere in Texas.
You're from El Paso....and you don't consider the RGV humid? Wow, talk about acclimation!

I lived in McAllen one summer, and I thought it was absolutely horrible in terms of both heat and humidity. I left as fast as I could (1976), and have never been back.

And yes, it is boring--it's either hot (summer) or temperate (winter) with little change of seasons otherwise. I was also there in December/January, and wore shirtsleeves.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:26 PM

Cathy--I've been here 6 years now. I spent the first year sweating! But the humidity here does vary from maybe 15-80 percent, it really isn't as humid as Houston. I definitely prefer the desert!

Old 06-07-2013, 03:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Cathy--I've been here 6 years now. I spent the first year sweating! But the humidity here does vary from maybe 15-80 percent, it really isn't as humid as Houston. I definitely prefer the desert!
I do, too! I almost moved to EP in 1995, but it fell through at the last minute.

Hindsight--glad it didn't work out, because EP is just too big for this small-town gal, so....

Old 06-07-2013, 11:33 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,565,614 times
when i first read this thread title i thought it was a joke. consistent weather in Texas? haha.. i guess some places are better than others though.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:20 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Yes, El Paso has very consistent weather. It has 4 seasons, but winter is a very short season, summer is a very long season. It's got about the most consistent weather you could ever find. The sun shines just about every day of the year, it's never very cold, and it's arid and never very hot.

Summer days are 95 and bone dry, winter days are 65 and bone dry.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:11 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times
Where have I been? Wow, someone else detests schizophrenic weather almost as much as me? Sorry I missed out.

Count me as such a person also. I don't mind it being 45 in the morning and 85 at night so much, which is what I think the original poster (OP) was observing. My thing is when it's a high of 85 one day and barely in the 40s for a high the next day. It behaves in such a way that frankly you don't know what season it is, the calendar reconciles with nothing that's going on, and you have to have winter-time and summer-time clothes handy. Spring-time is really bad about this & I despise it. It's a disturbance to any sense of normalcy, it's like waking up and everyone & everything you know has changed, right down to your wife and her appearance/name etc, location of your job, all the roads, where your light switches are, etc. To me, normal is not a bad thing, and "spontaneity" and "variety" are extremely overrated.

Except for it being a large city, El Paso sounds interesting. I like the idea of "monsoon" rains, which I experienced in Tucson AZ also, because I also despise it being cloudy a lot without raining and for it to rain very "drip drip" slowly for 3-4 days, I like for it to rain quickly & get the heck away from here as fast as possible. Do your business & get out. No lolly-gagging around. I hate it when it's rainy-like for 4 days in a row but barely rains much in terms of quantity of inches etc, and finally after 4 days of that it's now sunny and people are STILL complaining about drought conditions. I'm like--if it takes more than 4 days to handle it, then tough, but like heck do I want it rainy for 2 weeks in a row. Do it quickly and get the freak out of here.

I also despise lots of wind, I described it this way--if you have a lit cigarette, there should be so little wind that the smoke moves in a straight line. I'm not a smoker but I've seen people smoke enough to know that even a 5 mph wind can scatter the smoke everywhere, so if I'm saying it should move in a straight line, I am wanting pretty much NO WIND AT ALL. That's never going to happen, but Odessa & Midland, when I went through there on the way to eastern TX, good grief it was WINDY. I'd go crazy living somewhere like that.

The southern CA answer--yes that's what people told me also, but good grief the cost of living. I guess a lot of people like consistent weather?

LRH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas