Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 01:38 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Likely pushed by those who want no competition.
These sorts of laws usually are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 05:03 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
These sorts of laws usually are.
...or those who want jobs on U.S. soil, and not China.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:09 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy2788 View Post
TexasHorseLady,

I can not agree with you more in this thread! Unfortunately, I cannot rep you for all of your posts. Perry has become a career politician of which he talks with such high disregard about, to people who think that Perry has actually helped Texas and bring success upon it, remove the blinders from your eyes.

Texas is in great shape because of TEXANS, not one Governor who lines his pockets through business deals and spends the majority of his time in other states making a fool out of himself.
I agree completely. I wish I could rep TexasHorseLady for every single one of her posts in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
...or those who want jobs on U.S. soil, and not China.
THIS.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:11 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
TexasHorseLady,

I can not agree with you more in this thread! Unfortunately, I cannot rep you for all of your posts. Perry has become a career politician of which he talks with such high disregard about, to people who think that Perry has actually helped Texas and bring success upon it, remove the blinders from your eyes.

Texas is in great shape because of TEXANS, not one Governor who lines his pockets through business deals and spends the majority of his time in other states making a fool out of himself.
Dang good post.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:10 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I vote in New Mexico since that is my primary home but I'm pretty sure the problem in the last election was Bill White.
Ok.... so why was Bill White the problem?

Old 06-02-2013, 09:41 PM

587 posts, read 960,808 times
Quote:

It is important to remember though that Texas has not always been in such good shape. There was a time not too long ago that the state government had so much regulation and red tape that it was much easier to ship something from Hong Kong to Houston than it was to ship it from Houston to Austin.

For those that don't like Perry that's fine, but lets not forget that there are many politicians who would like to replace him who would be much much worse. This isn't speculation, it's an informed opinion based on the recent history of the state.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:27 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midessan View Post
There was a time not too long ago that the state government had so much regulation and red tape that it was much easier to ship something from Hong Kong to Houston than it was to ship it from Houston to Austin.
I had heard that from my FIL who owned a trucking company in Texas but I never really understood what he was saying. I've been gone from the State for the past forty years but as they say, "I got back as fast as I could."

Old 06-03-2013, 06:30 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,451,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midessan View Post
It is important to remember though that Texas has not always been in such good shape. There was a time not too long ago that the state government had so much regulation and red tape that it was much easier to ship something from Hong Kong to Houston than it was to ship it from Houston to Austin.

For those that don't like Perry that's fine, but lets not forget that there are many politicians who would like to replace him who would be much much worse. This isn't speculation, it's an informed opinion based on the recent history of the state.
Perry is just a talking piece though. I can pretty much guarantee you that whatever over-burden of regulation you speak of was not done away with by solely Perry. Somebody came up with whatever idea they had, and he took credit for it.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:53 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Ok.... so why was Bill White the problem?
White was the problem because he made Houston a sanctuary city even after police offers were killed on Houston by illegals.

Voters basically held their noses and voted Perry thinking it the safer choice. White may have an immigration policy that was not palatable to the average Texan. I think a Donkey would have had a better chance at beating Perry.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:26 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Even after my post, still I can't find one substantial charge against Perry. Some people need to remember the old adage, "the government that governs best governs least." This is what I believe makes our present government in Texas so good. It governs as much as is needed without activist programs, big programs, more bureaucracy. That is get out of the way, and let business do business and let people live their lives, without regulating the size of soda we can drink. Yes Perry goes out and promotes Texas. So what. Lots of states are doing it, California has adds, as does New York. Wisconsin used to have billboards on the freeway between Ill and Wis. encouraging visitors from Ill. to move their business to Wisconsin. Michigan has been doing this also of late. So why is Perry attacked when he does the same thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas