Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2007, 11:53 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,802,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Yes, I saw that new2sa...very interesting. By the way, don't fret your score, I really do think there are some problems with the possible answers and the way they are rated!
Thanks, I was thinking I had been Yankeedumbed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,998 times
Default Proud to be a Yankee

Sheesh! I had no clue Yankees were percieved as arrogant, rude or pushy. And it never occurred to me that Yankees were from anywhere but New England. Guess I learned something today. Didn't you guys ever hear the term Yankee Ingenuity? My whole life I assumed Yankees were resourceful, rugged, independent, cordial, hardworking, and good at minding our own business.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:04 PM

397 posts, read 1,025,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoT View Post
But this thread is about a Texans definition of Yankee, not yours. So, I guess, according to the Texans in THIS thread, you are a Yankee.

Blueskies, while it sadens me that you feel this way, I totally understand why you do, and I'm glad you shared your opinion. I think I might feel the same way. I recently visited a preserved plantation in SC, and we were told stories about some damage done to the house by the Union soldiers. Even though I have not ties to the civil war through family, I was ashamed of what our tour guide told us. I mean, there was bad on both sides, but it did make me understand why Southerners hold onto their Damn Yankees opinions. And, while I'm proud of who I am, where I grew up, and the kinds of people I still associate with back home, I do understand this veiwpoint.

I hope though, that before anyone judges a northerner based on where they were born/grew up, they give them a chance first. I know, many times they blow their chance as soon as they open their mouths. but you know what I mean. Not all of us would consider ourselves part of the Union had the War taken place in our time.
I scored 45% Dixie, 55% Yankee. I guess this makes this Californian a Yankee now. LOL

Old 11-16-2007, 01:40 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_SDCA View Post
I scored 45% Dixie, 55% Yankee. I guess this makes this Californian a Yankee now. LOL
Well, you have to remember, Gretchen, that California was a yankee state during the War!

Old 11-16-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mearls95 View Post
Sheesh! I had no clue Yankees were percieved as arrogant, rude or pushy. And it never occurred to me that Yankees were from anywhere but New England. Guess I learned something today. Didn't you guys ever hear the term Yankee Ingenuity? My whole life I assumed Yankees were resourceful, rugged, independent, cordial, hardworking, and good at minding our own business.
This is an interesting and relevent viewpoint. And I say this as a native Texan and "unreconstructed" Southerner!

Anyway I wish I could locate the original article, but I read a great one once on "regional differences and self-identification" which bore out something that, if we all think about it, is simply a truism. Which is, that what some will percieve as "positive" qualities will, in another culture, be seen as "negative." And, by extension, those qualities will be assigned different "labels."

For instance, take the "minding our own business" thing. We Texans/Southerners believe that we too, mind our own business. BUT..is there a difference in the way that virtue is actually put into practice? Here in Texas (and the South in general), as we tend to be a very neighborly type people, "minding our own business" may, for example, mean that in talking to Joe next door, and knowing that his son was just arrested, or that he recently lost his job, means we tactfully don't bring it up unless he does first.

On the other hand, it sometimes seems like the northern idea of minding ones own business is -- to our way of viewing it -- refraining from having much to do with one's neighbors at all. Or, to be very very reserved and almost stiff when they do.

Also (and the one I notice most) the tendency of transplanted yankees to make critical, comparitive remarks about Southern culture and ways. And that speaking ones own mind is, perhaps, considered the admirable virture of "frankness". BUT...down here it is akin to coming into somebody else's house and telling them that, compared to their own home, the wallpaper really sucks! LOL In other words, tacky rudeness.

I could go on and on with relative examples, but a certain something I think many (not all, I hasten to add!) non-Texans/Southerners don't quite grasp is that down here we regard our state (and region) as our "home" in a VERY possesive sense. In fact, (referring to the study mentioned earlier) Southerners tend to regard -- more than in any other part of the country -- our home state as being collectively "ours." In a way that embraces it as "seperate from", and "preferrable to", other states. The same is true if regions are being discussed.

This fact is very hard, it seems, for many non-Southerners to truly understand. And I say that in no note of insult or critisism per se. It has to do with a certain unique history and way of life that exists down here.

Ok...enough of my ramblings!

P.S. Yes, I think most of us respect "Yankee ingenuity." After all, our boys in gray were doing a fine job before yankee ingenuity came up with the "Henry Rifle." Referred to by the Rebs as "that damn yankee rifle loaded on Sunday and fired all week!"

Last edited by TexasReb; 11-16-2007 at 07:35 PM..

Old 11-17-2007, 11:39 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,606,826 times
my definition of a yankee is some loadmouth bonehead from N.Y that drinks cappachinos and thinks he knows it all

Old 11-17-2007, 03:53 PM

397 posts, read 1,025,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
my definition of a yankee is some loadmouth bonehead from N.Y that drinks cappachinos and thinks he knows it all

Hey, the know-it-all part I can understand, but nothing wrong with cappucinos! Although I'm partial to lattes myself! LOL

Old 11-17-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el borracho View Post

ROFLMAO. Now THIS is classic!

Old 01-02-2008, 01:24 AM

8 posts, read 9,369 times
Default What is a Yankee?

What is a Yankee?
To a non-American, a "Yankee" is one from America.
To an American, a "Yankee" is one from the North (north of the Mason-Dixon Line).
To a northerner, a "Yankee" is one from New England.
Being a native New Englander, with ancestry dating from the same region for several centuries, I, and my compatriots regarded us to be "Yankees." However, some may take it the term "Yankee" a few steps further:
To a New Englander, a "Yankee" is one from Vermont (the only one of the 13 American British Colonies to outlaw slavery upon its statehood).
To a Vermonter, a "Yankee" is one who eats pie for breakfast.

Last edited by Equator; 01-02-2008 at 01:34 AM..

Old 01-02-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equator View Post
What is a Yankee?
To a non-American, a "Yankee" is one from America.
To an American, a "Yankee" is one from the North (north of the Mason-Dixon Line).
To a northerner, a "Yankee" is one from New England.
Being a native New Englander, with ancestry dating from the same region for several centuries, I, and my compatriots regarded us to be "Yankees." However, some may take it the term "Yankee" a few steps further:
To a New Englander, a "Yankee" is one from Vermont (the only one of the 13 American British Colonies to outlaw slavery upon its statehood).
To a Vermonter, a "Yankee" is one who eats pie for breakfast.
LOL Good one about the Vermont people. And I never thought that perhaps even New Englanders might have their OWN definition of "yankee"

I think you might have meant, in your third line that to a Southerner (rather than American) a yankee is one from north of the M-D line!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas