U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2013, 11:53 PM

2 posts, read 14,354 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to the RGV, Harlingen area to work in the Health Care Industry. I am older, and would like to stay until I retire. I am "Anglo" and have a granddaughter in elementary school that will b moving with me. So should I decide upon this adventure.....which are the best Elementary schools, how well will a little "Anglo" girl and her granny fit in there? Positives for me are the cheaper housing, nearby beach, tropical climate and good pay. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 08:05 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,851,065 times
You will get more answers in the Texas forum. Corpus is over 120 miles away from Harlingen.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:00 AM

2,920 posts, read 5,088,353 times
Can't help you in regard to the schools, as my children are grown & were educated in El Paso. Keep in mind that you may end up pretty much stuck here, like us, due to the exceptional pay in healthcare. My husband would immediately lose half what he makes here if we were to move even 300 miles north, & I don't even have to work. Harlingen is a good area to be in--not as many amenities as McAllen, but it is centrally located not far from the beach & has a nice little airport that includes Southwest Airlines. Don't know where you're coming from, but the majority of the Anglo retirees here in the RGV are from places way up north like MN or even Canada. My experiences with those people (I'm TN/MS/TX Anglo, RN, early 50s) is that they are rude, pushy, & I go out of my way to avoid them. I wouldn't chose this place for retirement. But it is a place to save up a lot of money if you are in the healthcare field, at least until it all goes down the tubes. "Make hay while the sun shines", right?

Old 06-24-2013, 08:23 AM

2 posts, read 14,354 times
Thanks Hellpaso, I'm from the South. Money is a big factor for me to move there. But I am looking for to the beach as well. I hear South Padre is not as nice as Florida though.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:20 PM

13 posts, read 25,857 times
Hello well i live in the west part of the RGV in La Joya. Harlingen is a pretty good city, close to the beach, has a mall, airport, Bass Pro shop. Im not to familiar with Harlingen but the RGV is pretty cheap compared to other states and cities in Texas. As far as looking for an elementry school from my experience with an 8 year old son the neighbor hood ( area ) has alot to do with it. There is a rise in various races in the region due to medical professionals which is really great, there should'nt be any issues with children; my son goes to a school with 98% Mexican children my son has never mentioned the students in his class that are of a different race. Hope this helps the Valley is great, very hot thou and lacks greenery.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:06 AM

4,934 posts, read 3,424,964 times
South Padre is as nice as any beach on the Florida Gulf Coast. The Atlantic coast beaches are nicer though, more akin to the Caribbean. Also the reason the area lacks greenery is because we in the midst of a severe drought as is most of the southwest US. Harlingen should work out well. Very laid back, not a lot going on but for a 50 something that shouldn't be a problem. LOL Hispanics make up the majority here in the RGV but most Anglos here are well adapted and most everyone gets along just fine including school age kids.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:43 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,691,408 times
I like Harlingen alot. I have been there a few times, going through on my way to McAllen when traveling down Hwy 77 (soon to be I-69). I would recommend Harlingen any day over Brownsville, although McAllen would be the most progressive city in the RGV. At least in Harlingen, you are considerably closer to the Gulf, and it won't be quite as sweltering as it is in McAllen.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:45 PM

3 posts, read 10,491 times
I live in Harlingen. Northwest side. LOVE my home (housing is relatively cheap, though property tax isn't).

First: Home health is one of the biggest employers here, and as such, one of the lowest paying (most are part time, lots of local HS graduates take certification courses), so unless you have a higher degree (bachelors for a start), then I suggest you contact some of the larger hospitas here (Harlingen Medical and Valley Baptist) and see if they are either hiring, or who they recommend. If you do have the training/education, on the other hand, you can find work.

Second: Schools. *sigh*. Personally (and no one flame me, this is simply my opinion), the schools in this city are decent, private schools are a little bit better. We pay a large school tax bill (and coming originally from Long Island, NY, I am very well aware of high taxes) for our schools which are lovely, have large modern football stadiums, ipads for everyone, and no windows. <yes, I'm jaded. I would see which private schools you might be interested in ahead of time.

Third: South Padre is about 40-50 minutes away. As a long islander who spent way too much time on Jones Beach, I like SPI, BUT - no lifeguards, tends to get crowded and really filthy during summer months, and find out when Spring Break is scheduled and stay away. On the plus side, you can spend a lovely weekend with your granddaughter at any of their hotels and pay a fraction of what you could expect anywhere else.

Fourth: What is there in Harlingen: Walmart. Well, there are walmarts almost in every town in the Valley, and HEB which is the only 'big' supermarket. Lots of car dealerships running the lengths of both US77/83 and US83 westward. The local airport is actually pretty good, uses Southwest and United/Continental. Restaurants come and go, still there are the old standbys like Applebies, Chilis, etc.

Compared to the other large cities in the Valley (Brownsville, McAllen), Harlingen is more family-oriented, and while my colleagues think I have a long commute (I work in Alamo, a mere 32 miles away), we chose it over McAllen simply because the latter is a giant mall with too much chaotic traffic.

When you get ready to come here, I suggest getting a rental until you get a feel for the place and can decide where in the city you may want to stay. Near my house is Harlingen Country Club, for example, where you don't have to belong to the gold club to live/rent, houses vary in price from decent $50k all the way to the million dollar mark. Other neighborhoods that have 'anglos' are Treasure Hills on the east side of the city, located close to VAlley Baptist and has a large population of people in the medical field.

Make sure you get something with central air. Electric bills are high, property tax might be depending on where you live, the variety of food you can find is not that great although if you look you can find a few local growers. Jackson Street in Harlingen hosts a nice Farmers Market the first weekend of every month, has a better selection of stuff in the winter months. Water here is all Rio Grande river water, treated and treated and overtreated. It's considered hard water (it will play havoc with your hair), and if you are in the habit of opening the tap in your kitchen sink and drinking straight from it, don't. Almost every house I looked at had at least a filter attachment in the sink.

Lastly: Winter Texans. Oy. They are retirees, mostly from the midwest, who travel here every single year until they die dragging an RV behind them, park it in an RV park and spend the next 3-5 months playing bingo, shopping at Walmart or standing in line at any of the numerous all-you-can-eat buffets. They are everywhere and they annoy my husband, who for the life of him cannot understand why people with the financial ability to travel almost cross country just head here and stay here. I don't mind them that much but that's because I'm good at tuning things out. You won't mind them since they are one of the biggest users of the health care system in the Valley.

And double lastly - please don't go around calling yourself an anglo. While the population here is overwhelmingly Mexican, I'm Puerto Rican, and while the census bureau lists me and my neighbor as hispanics, we are vastly different and here I have been called Anglo. Would you need to learn spanish? In your field of work, yes, absolutely. I have met some of the hardest working, wonderful people here as well as some sad representatives of any and all ethnic groups. Please don't label yourself or your granddaughter. If you want to come to the Valley, you would be welcome.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:46 PM

2 posts, read 7,692 times
From the perspective of locals, what is the crime like in Harlingen, TX? The city-data.com shows that crime is above the national average. Does it appear to be a safe city or not? //www.city-data.com/city/Harlingen-Texas.html

Old 01-22-2014, 11:36 PM

328 posts, read 525,959 times
I think the area is quite safe, as long as you are in a decent area and avoid trouble. Initially, some of the news stories about crime here may shock outsiders (every day it seems a "home invasion" makes the news), but most of it happens in troubled areas and it involves people who are involved in shady activities like smuggling drugs or people in the outskirts of the main towns. I can't think of any parks or public lots where you don't want to be caught in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas