Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 12:48 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times

Advertisements

I heard a lot about this state park and like to hike with my dogs. Unfortunately its quite a drive from Houston...about 3 hours further than I had hoped. Just wondering if it would be worth it to head up there for a weekend of hiking and mountian biking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 01:17 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,403,017 times
It's the second biggest canyon in the US to the Grand Canyon supposedly. I like it because it's closer to civilization than Big Bend, but I never drove 2/3s the way across the state to go there either. I've never biked it, but I free hiked around it way more than I did the actual Grand Canyon. If you like canyons and canyon hiking, then it's worth it. If not, west Texas is pretty dry and dusty.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:55 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,716,074 times
It's at most 1000 feet deep or so but the red rocks and the lighthouse make Palo Duro very unique for those in the East used to rolling hills and deciduous trees. I find desolate beauty in that whole Texas Panhandle landscape. Watching tumbleweeds blowing around is unique and cool to me. That's why I love living in Arizona so much. Canyon, TX BTW is the nearest town and has plenty of infrastructure for lodging and dining too. Or, stay in Amarillo and make sure you stop at The Big Texan Steak Ranch.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:46 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
PALO DURO CANYON | The Handbook of Texas Online| Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)
Quote:
Palo Duro Canyon is the most spectacular and scenic landscape feature in the Panhandle of Texas. The Spanish name Palo Duro means "hardwood" and refers to the hardwood shrubs and trees found in the canyon. Palo Duro Canyon was carved into the eastern Caprock escarpment of the High Plains during the past ninety million years by the headwaters of the Prairie Dog Town Fork of the Red River and by attendant weathering.
Today the park, which includes more than 15,000 acres, annually receives over half a million visitors. A summer musical pageant, Texas, is presented annually in the outdoor amphitheater.
More at the link....

Old 06-09-2013, 06:53 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I heard a lot about this state park and like to hike with my dogs. Unfortunately its quite a drive from Houston...about 3 hours further than I had hoped. Just wondering if it would be worth it to head up there for a weekend of hiking and mountian biking?
It's well worth your time. You've got a great opportunity to see lots of Texas, and Houston to Amarillo by car will give you much more than just canyons, depending on which way you go. The only way to know is go.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:06 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
In my opinion the Grand Canyon isn't much better to be honest. The Grand Canyon is huge, but it is so crowded. In Palo Duro, you pretty much have the whole place to yourself. I found the landscape more interesting than the Grand Canyon to tell the truth.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:09 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
In my opinion the Grand Canyon isn't much better to be honest. The Grand Canyon is huge, but it is so crowded. In Palo Duro, you pretty much have the whole place to yourself. I found the landscape more interesting than the Grand Canyon to tell the truth.
This sounds good...I was going to ask if it was generally crowded. I lived in the mojave desert for over 10 years so dust and scrub doesn't bother me. I love Texas but miss being able to escape the city into the desert...very grounding for me.
I've also never been to the Panhandle so it would be interesting to see more of the state.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:12 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,930 times
I'd say a nine hour drive is too far for a weekend, no matter the location, but Palo Duro is pretty cool. I might suggest stopping there for a day or two on the way to places in Colorado or New Mexico. It's colorful, it has decent biking trails if I recall correctly, and there's a cheesy yet fun play at the amphitheater during the summer.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:22 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I'd say a nine hour drive is too far for a weekend, no matter the location, but Palo Duro is pretty cool. I might suggest stopping there for a day or two on the way to places in Colorado or New Mexico. It's colorful, it has decent biking trails if I recall correctly, and there's a cheesy yet fun play at the amphitheater during the summer.
I agree with this take. I don't know that I'd want it to be my lone destination for a trip, but it makes for a great stop over for a night or two when one is heading to the Rockies or points further west. I really quite enjoyed the bike trails there and it's much more scenic than you'd expect. Nothing near there is very aesthetically pleasing and then BAM! there's suddenly a gorgeous canyon. OTOH, it's not as impressive as Big Bend NP, which I believe is a worthy destination in and of itself.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:05 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,091 times
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas