Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 03:18 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times

Advertisements

They turn off the AC after a certain time where I work, but this is only at night. Still Houston is humid through the nighttime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 10:17 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,124 times
I could never work in a place with no air conditioning in a Houston summer. My cousin told me he used to drive a forklift in a warehouse with no a/c. Hell no! I have a skin condition (eczema) and a little bit of Rosacea which is exasperated by the heat. Anytime i'm exposed to heat, it always seems to flare it up.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:26 PM

220 posts, read 454,074 times
It's called being green, reducing CO2 emissions, and saving money.

More likely it's the latter and not really the former.

That being said people really should try to acclimatize to warmer temperatures. When its less than 90 degree's and I'm at home I'll just leave the AC off and just turn on fans and open windows. When I run my AC I usually set it at 80 instead of 70 or lower like some people do. Now I don't feel any more uncomfortable than I did at cooler temperatures and I save money. I usually try to just run my AC at night after I take a shower and am heading to bed.

A concern of mine is too many northerners are moving here and just cranking on the AC wasting a ton of electricity and due to demand it will raise the rates for all the rest of us.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:19 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,415,335 times
What a bunch of wussies. My wife is 59 years old and works in a warehouse with no AC and no heat. She works 12-13 hours a day, 5-6 days a week. Yesterday was in the upper 90's with humidity in the 80's. During the winter it's not unusual for temps here in Arkansas to go down into the teens. Not a peep out of her. Jeeze!!! Man up!!! One can't get any 'greener' than that.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:17 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
That sounds crazy! E. Texas and no AC?
Crazy? Welcome to Texas.

Automotive shops don't even have A/C unless you work at a luxury dealership like Lexus or BMW.

Otherwise its shop fans blowing hot air on you.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:58 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
What a bunch of wussies. My wife is 59 years old and works in a warehouse with no AC and no heat. She works 12-13 hours a day, 5-6 days a week. Yesterday was in the upper 90's with humidity in the 80's. During the winter it's not unusual for temps here in Arkansas to go down into the teens. Not a peep out of her. Jeeze!!! Man up!!! One can't get any 'greener' than that.

Nice, let your 60 year old wife go through that! Im sure she's real strong though. Cruel and unusual....

Old 06-14-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Nice, let your 60 year old wife go through that! Im sure she's real strong though. Cruel and unusual....
Letting has nothing to do with it. She is a working fool. Many times after work she will come home and mow the lawn and she gets upset if I do it first. Besides, I was a weldor for 38 years. Hat, welding helmet, long sleeve shirt, leather gloves, jeans and boots and a heat source of 10,000* to 12,000* degrees a foot from your face and no AC, ever. I am 70 years old and retired. I've put in my time. Ask me if I feel sorry for the young people in the workforce today. If they can't talk on their cell phones or play their games they cry.

Just in case anyone is wondering, I was born and raised in South Central Texas.

Last edited by slingshot; 06-14-2013 at 04:08 PM..

Old 06-14-2013, 10:02 PM

107 posts, read 161,460 times
This sounds like poor elitism. You see it in large cities too, maybe not so much in Texas... But many times you'll see some ''artist'' or some other deadbeat who doesn't have a pot to **** in, get smug about how green he is and how much better he is because he doesn't have a car, but instead uses his bike and public transportation to get around. Well, it's clear that no one with the means would adopt such a silly ideology. Call me judgmental, but I think the same goes for these kinds of anti AC businesses. I'll bet if he turned on the AC in the summer it would bankrupt his business. But he hides behind some kind of excuse with homosexual connotation, just like the broke hippie hides behind his stoned, I mean, green ideology. If you work in a nasty environment like that, you should ask the owner directly about it. If it ruffles his feathers, it's time to quit. But in East Texas- if you're making more than $13/hr you're high on the hog so its best you shut your mouth boy.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:29 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post

Yes, telling people to man up whose bodies can't handle extreme temperatures leading to them passing out, dying or becoming ill is great advice. Not everyone is your wife sir.

Old 06-15-2013, 03:52 AM

Go to this site and read the symptoms of heat stroke. Thursday, at a funeral for a soldier that was killed in action, I had 8 of the 11 symptoms and I still stand by my words and I'm 70 years old. Also, while yall complain about the heat remember that that soldier never complained one bit about the heat he was going through. Everyone has a choice. If a company has no AC, quit or find another job. At least, quit complaining. Jeeze!!!

Heat Stroke: Symptoms and Treatment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas