U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 07:21 AM

6,848 posts, read 10,991,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by destin04 View Post
The people of East Texas are good people....salt of the earth. The first question they ask you is "wha'ts your name?" The second question they ask is "Where do you go to church?" They aren't near as concerned w/ if you go to church...but they want to make sure that you are going to heaven. It's really sweet that they care so much about your enternal life. If I were you I would pick out some obscure church in the country and tell then that's where you go. LOL! The upside to East Texas people is that they would give you their last 5.00 if you needed it. ..and they always invite you to "supper". It's worth a look!
Lol... I like the "obscure church" idea! Very creative!

Yes, the upside of every Southern small community, too... they DO take care of each other. Just remember to say, "Yes, Ma'am" and "No Ma'am" and "Yes Sir" and "No Sir" and you'll be fine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 03:44 PM

176 posts, read 599,040 times
Alright, it's sounding a lot better now . Talked with a friend and we'll probably take a road trip down there in January. Probably cold by TX standards but will be fine for us .

Old 11-08-2007, 04:41 PM

327 posts, read 715,688 times
Small East Texas towns probably wouldn't be that great an idea if you're an Atheist. I've been there and in some of these towns there's literally a church around every corner. Also, unfortunately, there are people there who think it's their goal in life to "save" you if you are a non-believer.

Of course, there is a lot of hypocrisy with some of these people. The same ones you'll see out drinking and doing......how shall I put this......other stuff are the same ones you'll see at church on Sunday morning.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Power View Post
Small East Texas towns probably wouldn't be that great an idea if you're an Atheist. I've been there and in some of these towns there's literally a church around every corner. Also, unfortunately, there are people there who think it's their goal in life to "save" you if you are a non-believer.

Of course, there is a lot of hypocrisy with some of these people. The same ones you'll see out drinking and doing......how shall I put this......other stuff are the same ones you'll see at church on Sunday morning.
Isn't it the same in pretty much every small town in the US though? I'd say the same thing about where I grew up as well, and it was kinda sick working at the prosecutor's office and seeing how sexual predators and many other criminals used church groups as a victim pool. I don't really understand why Americans tie morality to religion so much. They really have very little to do with each other.

But hey, most people are hypocrites, or don't practice what they preach, or are ignorant, or just follow the crowd...liberals, conservatives, atheists, preachers....all the same really.

I'm not expecting to move someplace where there are perfect people. Just a nice place to live where I can buy a little piece of land, enjoy some natural scenery and clean air, do my thing, and meet some friendly people here and there, without the government butting in too much. A place that has EDIT: a conservative prosecutor's office would be a huge plus. I want to be a prosecutor, and don't want to be giving people 3 years for a bar fight, probation for drug crimes, harsh punishment for drunk drivers, and trying to get child molesters treatment, and lock up murders in a cush jail cell for life...which seems to be the way liberals want things...would rather have no prosecution for bar fights, treatment or harsh punishments for drug crimes, lenient on drunk drivers, lock up child molestors for the rest of their lives in a dank dungeon, and death for murderers.

EDIT:
It probably seems contradictory that I want to be a prosecutor but don't like the government butting in too much...but prosecutors, unlike all other lawyers, have a duty to see justice done rather than to zealously represent who they're working for. So they have a lot of discretion, especially when making charging decisions and during plea bargaining, and routinely give people lower charges or agree to lower sentences than the law would seem to require. So in a more conservative county with more conservative prosecutors, the application of the law can be a lot different than in a liberal county with a liberal prosecutor's office. I think having anti-government people in the prosecutor's office is one of the best ways to keep the government out of people's business. Same for any government position really. Wouldn't it be great if all the people in congress hated big government...

Last edited by jm21; 11-08-2007 at 05:55 PM..

Old 11-08-2007, 06:27 PM

8,368 posts, read 28,928,782 times
A part of your job as a prosecutor in parts of East TX (and parts of N TX) would be to file charges against an individual who is in possession of more than a 24 pk of beer or a fifth of liquor. Dry laws. (old Baptist legislation)

Where my sister lives in the Ft Worth area, if you're caught with this you can be charged as a "bootlegger" (old white word for drug dealer) and the punishment is up to 6 months and $2,000 in fines.

Stay south of the red/blue split on that religious map, and you won't see any of that.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:39 PM

Do they still charge that BS? I mean...there are quite a few laws in every state on the books that no one ever gives a damn about. Just never been removed because no one ever gets charged.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:27 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,758,332 times
A DUI is nothing more than a murderer waiting to happen....

Better get ready to be tough on them

Old 11-09-2007, 07:19 AM

3,494 posts, read 13,628,343 times
what an interesting map. i dont know anything about religion and have never really been exposed to religion. all i know is that when i have moved several times in my life out of the redzone into the bluezone, i have been absolutely miserable. maybe i was meant to be a baptist and dont even know it lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
This map may help you a little regarding this issue. You may want to stay south of a line from Houston to Austin to El Paso, which blows out the Piney Woods.

Maybe the area around San Marcos would be a good place? It's a college town of about 40,000 on the edge of the hill country (close to Devil's backbone), and Austin / San Antonio are easily accessible.

In my opinion you should fly in, rent a car for 2 weeks and drive all over the place to check things out before coming to a decision.

http://blog.moregoodfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/church_bodies.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-09-2007, 07:22 AM

8,368 posts, read 28,928,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm21 View Post
Do they still charge that BS? I mean...there are quite a few laws in every state on the books that no one ever gives a damn about. Just never been removed because no one ever gets charged.

I don't really know because I've never lived in those areas, and will try my best to never. Borderline theocracy is backwards and a contradiction of terms in America.

However I will say that most Texans generally believe in "the rule of law."

Old 11-09-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas
what an interesting map. i dont know anything about religion and have never really been exposed to religion. all i know is that when i have moved several times in my life out of the redzone into the bluezone, i have been absolutely miserable. maybe i was meant to be a baptist and dont even know it lol...
So, you didn't feel excluded at all because you weren't baptist or religious or whatever? May I ask where you lived in the "redzone"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
A DUI is nothing more than a murderer waiting to happen....

Better get ready to be tough on them
We live in a society that encourages drinking and practically mandates driving. Is it any wonder that people do both at the same time? The criminal laws here have generally been designed to punish people for having a "bad" or "criminal" (for lack of a better word) mental state. Drunk drivers, generally speaking, don't have it. I'll punish them as the law provides, but not going to go out of my way. A lot of people don't seem to realize that safeguarding the community and protecting the people is _not_ the primary duty of the police or prosecutors, though of course they're concerned about it. If you want less drunk drivers, you should set up community-based institutions which discourage drinking, provide for transport to and from bars, bring more awareness to the public, reach out to people with alcohol or drug problems, etc. Don't just lobby for harsher legislation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I don't really know because I've never lived in those areas, and will try my best to never. Borderline theocracy is backwards and a contradiction of terms in America.

However I will say that most Texans generally believe in "the rule of law."
Actually, judges used to always have a bible on their desk. Religion and government were inextricably intertwined for a good portion (most? arguably all?) of America's history, is my understanding. We're just more subtle about it than Iran.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas