Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 08:54 AM

954 posts, read 1,549,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattypaw View Post
So maybe this is a stupid question but is there an area in TX that is not very humid in the summer? I lived in East Texas years ago and it was humid of course. I'm wondering about the College Station or Ft Hood area? I can stand dry heat with A/C but not high humidity. I SO want to move back to TX from Maine.

thank you
Not rocket science: just look at a map of Texas and the cities on or closest to the Gulf Coast
have the highest humidity while the ones farthest away have the least. In other words it's a correlation between a locals distance from the Gulf of Mexico, the source of the humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 09:19 AM

26 posts, read 59,356 times
I realize that most the majority of the people that live in TX now have no idea that there is life outside 50 miles west of I35. I have to assume that most people do not even know or realize that a good chunk of the western state is in fact in the DESERT and any town in the desert areas would qualify, with common sense, as not being "humid." This explains a lot.

Not trying to be a jerk.

Last edited by Hank Grill; 06-21-2013 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 06-21-2013, 10:40 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
I have tried a slew of anti-humidity products and my hair still says that San Antonio is too humid.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:17 AM

663 posts, read 1,724,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Anywhere 50 miles (give or take ) west or further from I-35.....

Lubbock, Amarillo, San Angelo, El Paso, Midland, etc.

Also, your definition of 'not very humid' may be different than others. East TX is VERY humid by most peoples estimation, so San Antonio, Dallas, and Austin are less humid, but may still be too humid for your likes....
I have to agree on varying definitions of "not very humid." I grew up in Georgia and spent most of my life near the east coast. I don't think there's a city in then northern half of Texas I'd consider "very humid." If you think east Texas is bad, try Miami. I personally think Dallas is bone dry but I meet people from places like Arizona that think Dallas is very humid. So yeah, Austin, Dallas, and San Antonio are all in the next tier down from east Texas. If that's still not what you're looking for, head west. You'll hit the desert soon enough.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:23 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
I have to agree on varying definitions of "not very humid." I grew up in Georgia and spent most of my life near the east coast. I don't think there's a city in then northern half of Texas I'd consider "very humid." If you think east Texas is bad, try Miami. I personally think Dallas is bone dry but I meet people from places like Arizona that think Dallas is very humid. So yeah, Austin, Dallas, and San Antonio are all in the next tier down from east Texas. If that's still not what you're looking for, head west. You'll hit the desert soon enough.
You clearly haven't spent any time in Longview or Marshall. Trust me, you find it plenty of humid in those parts mid summer.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:38 AM

844 posts, read 1,657,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Fort Hood would be less humid than College Station because its further from the Gulf.

Stay west of I-35 & you should be ok.
El paso is ridiculously dry, but I suspect if anyone sincerely likes the climate in El paso or desert in New Mexico.

Probably, OP is trying to find a decent place, not too humid but not too dry either.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:15 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
I don't remember Texas being this humid when I first moved here 6 or 7 years ago. Now it's almost the same but worse than Florida (where I'm from). It's worse here because the heat from the sun is more intense. In Florida - at least on the coast - the sun doesn't feel as hot and we get sea breezes. You should move to Arizona.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:18 PM

663 posts, read 1,724,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
You clearly haven't spent any time in Longview or Marshall. Trust me, you find it plenty of humid in those parts mid summer.
I've spent plenty of time in Longview. It's noticeably more humid than Dallas but it lacks the "OMG! teh humudity!" feeling I get when I go to places like Houston or Miami or Augusta where it could be an 85F day and I'd still burst into sweat as soon as I walk outside. But like I said earlier, it's all relative to your own personal experience.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:53 PM

587 posts, read 961,076 times
Yeah, I agree with what others have said, it's all relative to what you are accustomed to. Believe it or not I have heard people visiting Midland from Albuquerque say that Midland is humid. Really.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:27 PM

346 posts, read 647,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
El paso is ridiculously dry, but I suspect if anyone sincerely likes the climate in El paso or desert in New Mexico.

Probably, OP is trying to find a decent place, not too humid but not too dry either.

The lack of humidity and associated mold is great! And while El Paso is 102-104 this week, and even a little "humid" from monsoon flow, I would much rather be outside here than in Houston right now.

The downside to this climate is the dust. When it is windy (especially January to March), it is really terrible. If I had my way, I'd live along the Gulf during October-April, then around El Paso or southern New Mexico May-September.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas