Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 07:40 AM

19 posts, read 24,788 times

Advertisements

As a non-American I have always admired Texas for many different reasons. One of them being that Texas seems like the most autonomous state in the US. While most other states share commonality with the states that surround them, Texas, perhaps because it's large enough, seems like both it's own state and it's own region, and has it's own thing going on completely. It's not quite a southern state, it's not quite a western state, it's Texas. The Texas attitude, to me, also confirms this. Texans seem like a very self-sufficient people, they don't wait on others to tell them what to do. They do things their way. I admire this greatly. They also seem to have a love and passion for their state that people from other states don't have. Perhaps this was brought about by the revolution? I don't know this to be true but I would guess many Texans would define themselves as Texans first, Americans second. Would you agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 10:55 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,823,178 times
So as someone that grew up in Houston and moved around the country before moving back, the older generations were definitely more distinct, but I think regional differences everywhere throughout the US used to be more pronounced. Today, my generation all grows up on the same culture, chain restaurants, and media no matter where you live thanks to tv, the internet, and globalization. The end result of those effects is that our generation is all very similar in a lot of ways, whether you're in Utah or Texas or New York or California. If you look back at the last 4-5 generations, you can kinda see that this trend has been increasing the more and more connected we become with each other. Sure there are notions to the 'Texas attitude' still to what you speak of, but it's really just afternotes on a culture that is very similar to everywhere else in the US. What's also exacerbating this is that everyone is moving or flocking into large urban areas at this point where the 'generic American' culture I'm describing is most heavily pronounced; if you go out way into the hill country you'll find the Texans that you admire so much. To answer your question shortly, my grandparents would call themselves Texans first, Americans second, but most of my friends would say otherwise.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:29 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,414,093 times
I call myself a Texan first (and root for Texas sports teams first) but make no mistake, if Texas actually seceeded from the rest of the US, I'd be outta here so fast, you'd see those Back to the Future flaming tracks where my feet landed.

Unfortunately, as more Texans have moved to the suburbs, the self-sufficient "go your own way" thing has really fallen by the wayside. Texas cities are filled with HOAs, which stamp out individuality, and even among the government, self-sufficiency is really just a a folksy facade used to get votes.

However, I think you'd be surprised that Texas state pride is not really all that unique.
New Yorkers love NY more than Texans love Texas BY FAR. The Red Hot Chili Peppers have made an entire career of doing nothing but writing songs about California. State pride in the US is actually pretty strong everywhere.

I also agree with what Curbur said. The homogenization of the entire US (the states aren't nearly as different as you might hear outside of the biggest major cities) has minimized the differences between the states and as such, state pride will slowly fade.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:16 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,815,422 times
A part of that Texas thing is its historic distance from 'where it's happening'. Aside from cattle, cotton, and oil there wasn't a lot of national interest in Texas. When it came to media, most advertising wasn't focused on a southern reality. Sure, 'See the USA in your Chevrolet' but do it with winter tires. Be sure to bring your heavy coat. So in part, Texas was as much not a part of the U.S. as the U.S. wasn't a part of Texas. As curbur, above, demonstrates, much of that has changed.

I was born and raised in Texas with the exception of a few pre-school years. Living near Lisbon, my early years were influenced by anything but the U.S. or Texas. Excepting that my parents and older siblings were also from Texas. After returning to the U.S. and the road trip home the only topic of discussion was 'Texas'. But I did find out why they call them the 'Smokey Mountains'.

I find that Texas is influenced by more than one regional culture. My earliest was the Mexican culture of San Antonio where I learned early about the Alamo and its importance. Later I learned about Fort Worth, probably the sweetest city I've lived in. And probably the most naturally Texan. And Dallas with its ties of influence through its banking interests - there's your eastern influence.

We later lived in near west Texas where life was... not easy for many. If you didn't have it, this wasn't the place to get it. Most kids grow up and leave. But it is where I first learned about racism. Mid-50's leaving a large discount store there were two water fountains, one water for colored. I asked my mom if the water was colored - No, and if I could drink it. Certainly wasn't kool aid. We were headed for the exit and she didn't stop to answer. Good east Texas farm girl she was. I recalled trying to make friends with a little Romani gypsy boy on the beach near St. Julian's in Carcavelos. We were about to make contact when someone in his clan shouted... and he took off like an ant farm had just landed in his pants. Today they'd call that discrimination.

I didn't let that bother me. My last year in 'Hard Scrabble, Texas' high they let blacks into our schools. Out of 1400 students there were six blacks, one a girl. I made friends with her, until spring when I was told I should 'tone it down'.

As an adult I lived in Houston where I found what seemed to me the real Texas. Rodeo, San Jacinto, Sam Houston, independence. To say Houston is to imply independence. Houston is designed for growth and independence and the connection to Louisiana. So goes the saying, 'If you haven't got an oil well, get one.'

Much of Texas persona can be found in a relation with Oklahoma, New Mexico, and/or Louisiana. New Mexico is a Texas hide away. Oklahoma its red neck school. Louisiana is where the oil industry gets its hands dirty. Texas my be a separate region but its surrounding states are its support group. Texas wouldn't be the same without them. But beyond that, yes, 'Texas is a whole 'nuther country.'

Mid-90's I met some 'new' friends while boating on Lac Léman. On learning they were from Australia I commented that 'if I couldn't be from Texas then I'd want to be from Australia'. Friends forever. That's about how separate I feel Texas is from the rest of the U.S.

Last edited by metroxian; 04-29-2015 at 02:38 PM..

Old 04-29-2015, 03:22 PM

268 posts, read 357,919 times
Yes, i do call myself a Texan first

I wouldnt move to any other state, for long and dont plan to. I like the big land, hill country, brush country and arid west texas.

My family was here before Texas was Texas and i plan on being here as long as i can.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:53 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,980,223 times
I consider myself Texan first.Texas will always be my home.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:12 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,090,385 times
It's been hard to be so proud of America Politically for a good while. Leadership doesn't care about America being exceptional. Just wants us to be one of the boys, worldwide. So, I'm still proud of America first, Tyler second, and Texas third, I guess. There are a lot of other states for more beautiful than Texas. Born and raised in Texas, I've been to many other states.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:22 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,777,261 times
I call myself a Texan first, simple as that.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:25 PM

412 posts, read 546,289 times
I feel like TX is different in certain ways and I consider myself a Texan, but I no less consider myself American or Southern.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:24 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,059,230 times
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas