Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 07:02 PM

7,373 posts, read 15,934,199 times

Advertisements

I've never been, but I've heard good things about Rockport.
Any other towns you've visited anywhere on the coast that you've liked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 09:34 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,004,677 times
Because it has some seedy areas, a lot of people bash Galveston, but I personally think it's a great town. Really neat historic sites and structures, walking down the Strand almost feels like you could be walking a street in historic NOLA, delicious seafood places, fun festivals, and friendly locals. There's a new pier with rides and stuff hanging over the water, but I haven't been on that yet.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:06 AM

15,232 posts, read 35,410,327 times
Depends on what you consider a plus or a minus. It really is hard to beat Galveston, at least in the 'larger' town category. It blows away Port Arthur and Corpus Christi has a destination to visit. If you are looking to move somewhere, the Corpus will provide more jobs, though. Small towns - Rockport and Port Aransas are my two favorites.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:40 PM

8,746 posts, read 8,987,940 times
Even though I love South Padre Island and I think the best beaches are there, Port Aransas is my favorite coastal "town". Even though they get plenty of tourists, the marina, the pier area, the restaurants and other areas of town look more like a typical seaside town than a typical resort town. There are some some pretty good beaches there as well. I've been on two vacations to Port Aransas and I really enjoyed it both times.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:30 PM

146 posts, read 507,242 times
I agree with the other posters. Galveston is my favorite beach destination because it has so much to do. Moody gardens I go all the time & the Rainforest café there is amazing as well as the other restaurants like Mario's. Take a trolley to see historic Galveston, Downtown & the Beach, its a great vacation spot. Corpus Christi's beaches are nicer & the city has a lot of attractions as well. It has it's own little museum district with a art, science & Asian museum. The water gardens are nice & peaceful & it's just a short drive to Rockport or port Aransas, Aransas pass which are nice little beach towns. South Padre Island has the nicest clearest beaches & the island is real pretty as well as Port Isabel. You can take a pirate boat tour, tour the lighthouse & go to a turtle rescue center. It however doesn't have a whole lot besides the beach to do.

Areas to not go Port Arthur (Gangs & crime are horrible & the city needs a complete makeover as a lot of stuff there is abandoned & looks ugly)

Surfside beach & the whole brazosport area isn't great either

Old 07-02-2013, 03:42 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,215,351 times
I also agree with everyone else.

I have mixed feelings about Galveston. On one hand there is a high percentage of undesirables on the island. Add that to the high crime rate. On the other hand, it truly does have a lot of nice, touristy things to do. The Strand is really cool. Moody Gardens is nice. Lots of nice restaurants, etc.

Rockport is a pleasant town. I haven't been there in years, but I remember it as very nice town. Not a lot of touristy stuff, but still very nice.

Port Arthur is a few miles from the beach. The beach is really after you pass Sabine Pass. It's ok, but there is NOTHING but beach, a few houses, and maybe a ranger station. There are a few ok areas in Port Arthur, but it does have a well deserved reputation as a place you don't want to be.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:35 PM

4,421 posts, read 5,293,362 times
We have a house in Aransas Pass which is right over the ferry from Port Aransas and we love the area . The great thing about the Coastal Bend is you get all these neat cities in one small region. (about 30 minutes from each other including Corpus Christi, Aransas Pass, Rockport, Fulton, and Portland)

http://gulfoil.bara.arizona.edu/site...astal-bend.png

Last edited by rynetwo; 07-02-2013 at 04:49 PM..

Old 07-02-2013, 06:51 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,098,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I've never been, but I've heard good things about Rockport.
Any other towns you've visited anywhere on the coast that you've liked?
Rockport is my first choice if I had any inclination to stay in a nice town, as opposed to a beach resort. Only negative is if you don't own a boat when you visit there! I suspect it has one of the highest per capita boat ownerships of any coastal town you can think of.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:28 PM

7,373 posts, read 15,934,199 times
Thanks all! Hoping to hit the coast in a few months when time allows.
I've got an itinerary now.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:02 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,773,562 times
Galveston Island has some great attractions, history and food... nothing else on the Texas coast can touch it in those categories. Also some pretty fancy-smancy hotels and rental homes.

Port Aransas/Rockport are cute for beach towns. South Padre is pretty but not much else to do there besides go to the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas