Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 08:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
If you are in to that boring cowboy stuff (which I find to be highly overrated) then you should stay in Fort Worth longer. If you like a real city with modern attractions then Dallas is for you. I've never liked that cowboy stuff, to me I find it to be highly annoying.

You should check out Uptown and hop on the Mckinney Avenue Trolley (which is FREE) which takes you though Uptown. You could go to the Klyde Warren Park which is over Woodall Rodgers Freeway. It's an awesome park in the middle of the city and is lined with food trucks. BTW the Dallas Museum of Art is free too.
There is a lot more to Fort Worth than "boring cowboy stuff." The Fort Worth Arts District is very funky and quirky and interesting.

By the way, I am not into "cowboy stuff" either, which is precisely why I found the Amon Carter museum and the stockyards and old shops around the stockyards, and yes, even the rodeo, so interesting (hey, and Billy Bob's too for that matter!). It gave me some insight that I had never had into REAL "cowboy culture" - the history of this very real, and very American, subculture. I found it fascinating, precisely because I'm NOT from that culture, and I don't particularly enjoy modern day cowboy stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 08:06 AM

112 posts, read 181,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Your list looks do able if you have a lot of energy, but I'd tweak it a little. Do you like wine and/or lavender? If so, I'd add Becker Vineyards to your trip into the Hill Country around Fredericksburg - in fact, I'd give myself a full day in Fredericksburg and the surrounding areas - Pedernales Falls, Luckenbach, and Becker Vineyards. I'd eat some awesome German food in Fredericksburg.

As for D/FW - I'd spend two days in Fort Worth and one day in Dallas, rather than the other way around. Dallas has no character and Fort Worth is FULL of character. Definitely visit the Stockyards, and the surrounding shopping area (full of old school types of shops), take in the rodeo that evening, maybe go to Billy Bob's for some boot scootin'. Then hit the Arts District the next day. I MUCH prefer the Fort Worth art scene to the Dallas art scene - Fort Worth has some really interesting art museums and a much more quirky, fun feel than Dallas.
Yes, Like wine and lavender. Fredricksburg is definitely going to be a day trip. We haven't booked all our hotels yet just in case we want to spend more time in one city.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
If you're driving between SA & Houston, you could stop by the Snake Farm Texas Snake Farm, Petting Zoo, Exotic Animal Park in New Braunfels (I-35 south). If you have kids, NASA, south of Houston, is good. The adult tours aren't that good, from what I understand, unless you pay for VIP tours Space Center Houston | Gateway to NASA's Johnson Space Center
For offbeat, don't rule out the Orange Show or Beer Can House in Houston Orange Show Center for Visionary Art - Celebrating the Artist in Everyone! - The Orange Show, Houston
Fredericksburg is indeed worth a trip--I also second Becker Vineyards. And Luckenbach is right down the road.Home
(I've been to all these except the NASA tour--my adult children told me about that one.)
Thank you for the ideas! We don't have children, so we will be able to fit in more into the vacation

Old 07-04-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
There is a lot more to Fort Worth than "boring cowboy stuff." The Fort Worth Arts District is very funky and quirky and interesting.

By the way, I am not into "cowboy stuff" either, which is precisely why I found the Amon Carter museum and the stockyards and old shops around the stockyards, and yes, even the rodeo, so interesting (hey, and Billy Bob's too for that matter!). It gave me some insight that I had never had into REAL "cowboy culture" - the history of this very real, and very American, subculture. I found it fascinating, precisely because I'm NOT from that culture, and I don't particularly enjoy modern day cowboy stuff.
I don't find cowboy culture boring at all. It would be a welcome sight compared to the crap people I loathe and have to live amongst in this area of NJ.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2? View Post
Yes, Like wine and lavender. Fredricksburg is definitely going to be a day trip. We haven't booked all our hotels yet just in case we want to spend more time in one city.
There is a really cool bed and breakfast (Full Moon Inn) just outside of Fredericksburg between F'burg and Luckenbach (and if you like quirky, you need to hang out in the evening at Luckenbach for their nightly jam session!). Here's some info:

Bed and Breakfast in Fredericksburg Texas | 830-997-2205

And here are a few pics of the nightly jam session in Luckenbach - these were taken around Christmastime this past year.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:03 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
Quote:
Your list looks do able if you have a lot of energy, but I'd tweak it a little. Do you like wine and/or lavender? If so, I'd add Becker Vineyards to your trip into the Hill Country around Fredericksburg - in fact, I'd give myself a full day in Fredericksburg and the surrounding areas - Pedernales Falls, Luckenbach, and Becker Vineyards. I'd eat some awesome German food in Fredericksburg.

As for D/FW - I'd spend two days in Fort Worth and one day in Dallas, rather than the other way around. Dallas has no character and Fort Worth is FULL of character. Definitely visit the Stockyards, and the surrounding shopping area (full of old school types of shops), take in the rodeo that evening, maybe go to Billy Bob's for some boot scootin'. Then hit the Arts District the next day. I MUCH prefer the Fort Worth art scene to the Dallas art scene - Fort Worth has some really interesting art museums and a much more quirky, fun feel than Dallas.
You can do everything in Ft.Worth in 2 hours.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
You can do everything in Ft.Worth in 2 hours.
Says "dallasboi."

I don't live in Dallas OR Fort Worth. I'm talking as someone with zero "vested interest" in either city. It's my personal opinion that Fort Worth is more interesting, and worth spending more time in, than Dallas. Your opinion differs. OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas