Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 08:22 AM

681 posts, read 1,670,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TughillTina View Post
Sorry guys but as a New Yorker embarrassing is Weiner and Spitzer !! So what that Perry forgot something at a debate-again Weiner and Spitzer, need I say more.
It wouldn't surprise me if NYC residents vote Weiner in for mayor...

Its amazing how short peoples memories are....

Yes our "new" Mayor once got in trouble for sending pictures of his penis to young girls on the internet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 08:27 AM

681 posts, read 1,670,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
Be real. Most of the people who trash Perry the way they have in here would do the same to any conservative pol who doesn't push the new militant liberal movement sweeping much of the nation (i.e., agree with and join us, or you are a sky fairy believing, hate filled bigot).

It must be tough to live in the most prosperous and vibrant state in the union under a leader so evil and moronic. I can only assume that every soul on here who despises Gov. Perry to such an egregious extent is packing to leave Texas permanently in protest as I type, yes? Fret not, there are plenty of democratic paradises out there waiting to stamp out every ounce of organized religion and tax your whiny azzes into oblivion.
agreed

Old 07-12-2013, 11:18 AM

328 posts, read 471,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Nationwide support is not how presidential primaries are won. They're won in the early primary states with strategy and money. Support in states whose primaries are in May or June doesn't even matter for that part of the process.

If Perry wants to win the nomination, he needs two things: to get the donors lined up and get the best strategy people on his team. The first time, he didn't bother to hire national strategy experts - he just relied on the Texas team that had successfully elected him to the governor's office 3x. That was the biggest strategic mistake that his campaign didn't recognize until it was too late to recover from.
They're won in the early primary states with strategy and money.

Exactly. That's the problem. Every four years, the results in three small states, New Hampshire, Iowa and South Carolina, determine who quits the Republican field. I don't have stats, but I would hazard a guess that no eventual Republican nominee ever went on to win the nomination after losing the first three races.

Here are population and demographics, listing white, black, Hispanic any race:
  • New Hampshire - 1.3 million, population rank #42, 92.4% white, 1.0% black, 2.8% Hispanic any race
  • Iowa - 3.1 million, population rank #30, 89.0 white, 2.8% black, 4.8% Hispanic any race
  • South Carolina - 4.7 million, population rank #24, 64.3 white, 27.8 black, 4.9% Hispanic any race

I've never understood why these three small states, whose demographics are in no way representative of the country, are allowed to dictate who wins the Republican nomination. South Carolina is more diverse, but it exerts far less influence than either Iowa or New Hampshire. There have been some awfully dirty Republican primary campaigns in South Carolina, that's for sure. Just ask John McCain.

To win New Hampshire and Iowa, which are overwhelmingly white and conservative, it's necessary for the field to appeal to the many strong partisans, who tend to lean to the far-right end of the ideological spectrum. (The old adage, "Run to the right in the primary, move to the center for the general" is still very much in force.)

Once the nominee is chosen is when nationwide support comes into play. And as we saw in 2012, having hundreds of millions of dollars and the best campaign organization money can buy (GOTV/ORCA fiasco notwithstanding) mean nothing if the candidate is unlikable and the message unpalatable.

Rick Perry, if he were to win the nomination, has a long way to go on both. He has a huge perception problem.

Last edited by casimpso; 07-12-2013 at 11:58 AM..

Old 07-12-2013, 06:33 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,559,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post

That is sooooooooooo funny!!
Oh my gosh, is that from "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" the one where the North Koreans have the more popular bar? That's perhaps one of the funniest 30 minutes in television history! I love that episode.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:35 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,559,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
They're won in the early primary states with strategy and money.

Exactly. That's the problem. Every four years, the results in three small states, New Hampshire, Iowa and South Carolina, determine who quits the Republican field. I don't have stats, but I would hazard a guess that no eventual Republican nominee ever went on to win the nomination after losing the first three races.

Here are population and demographics, listing white, black, Hispanic any race:
  • New Hampshire - 1.3 million, population rank #42, 92.4% white, 1.0% black, 2.8% Hispanic any race
  • Iowa - 3.1 million, population rank #30, 89.0 white, 2.8% black, 4.8% Hispanic any race
  • South Carolina - 4.7 million, population rank #24, 64.3 white, 27.8 black, 4.9% Hispanic any race

I've never understood why these three small states, whose demographics are in no way representative of the country, are allowed to dictate who wins the Republican nomination. South Carolina is more diverse, but it exerts far less influence than either Iowa or New Hampshire. There have been some awfully dirty Republican primary campaigns in South Carolina, that's for sure. Just ask John McCain.

To win New Hampshire and Iowa, which are overwhelmingly white and conservative, it's necessary for the field to appeal to the many strong partisans, who tend to lean to the far-right end of the ideological spectrum. (The old adage, "Run to the right in the primary, move to the center for the general" is still very much in force.)

Once the nominee is chosen is when nationwide support comes into play. And as we saw in 2012, having hundreds of millions of dollars and the best campaign organization money can buy (GOTV/ORCA fiasco notwithstanding) mean nothing if the candidate is unlikable and the message unpalatable.

Rick Perry, if he were to win the nomination, has a long way to go on both. He has a huge perception problem.
Save your fingers the pain, man. Rick Perry ain't gonna win ****.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:45 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,378,180 times
Oh my gosh, is that from "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" the one where the North Koreans have the more popular bar? That's perhaps one of the funniest 30 minutes in television history! I love that episode.

It's just a laugh gif I found to post to Tina's comment to all the people ragging on Rick Perry. They were saying Rick was an embarrassment to their state and she reminds them of Weiner and Spitzer. LMAO!!! But you know, I think you're right on where the gif came from and that was a funny episode.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:42 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
Quote:
Be real. Most of the people who trash Perry the way they have in here would do the same to any conservative pol who doesn't push the new militant liberal movement sweeping much of the nation (i.e., agree with and join us, or you are a sky fairy believing, hate filled bigot).

It must be tough to live in the most prosperous and vibrant state in the union under a leader so evil and moronic. I can only assume that every soul on here who despises Gov. Perry to such an egregious extent is packing to leave Texas permanently in protest as I type, yes? Fret not, there are plenty of democratic paradises out there waiting to stamp out every ounce of organized religion and tax your whiny azzes into oblivion.
Nope, not in my case. Not a liberal. Not a conservative. Both terms have come to mean the extremes rather than their original meanings, by the way, and both sides have their bad actors who care more about politics as football (the other team is BAD, my team is GOOD), the heck with what's good for the country, it's the TEAM (party) that matters.

And have you REALLY fallen for Rick Perry's taking credit for things that he has nothing to do with?

Since my folks have been here since before the Republic, and fought at San Jacinto, I have no intention of leaving the state I love and have an obligation to because of a bad governor. Not in my genes.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:13 PM

328 posts, read 471,286 times
I wish you would have read the whole thread. I'm a Democrat living in DFW who never voted for Perry, and voted for one Bush in my life, back in 1988, my last vote for a Republican. It's very early, but I'd take either Gov. Oops or Sen. Ted Cruz. Hillary would mop the floor with either of them.

I enjoy all politics, statewide and nationwide, Republican and Democratic.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:24 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,875,263 times
Quote:

Perry got 39% of the vote in 2006. If you believe liberals are the only ones who think he's an idiot, you're sorely mistaken.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:39 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,889,940 times
Quote:

Way to have a non-biased, fair, and well informed opinion...

I'm sure there's NO hypocrisy in this post what so ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas