Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 05:26 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Wow great way to generalize us as URBAN IN NATURE as if were some display at a Zoo. Like you're a zoologist on a safari analyzing the African Americanus behavior in the "wild".
'Sorry, I did not intend to offend anyone. I work close to downtown, but live past Katy Mills Mall, and have lived in west Houston, or Katy for the last 25+ years. I am tired of the commute, so for the last three years, at least once a week, I would venture out within five to ten miles from downtown during my lunch break looking in old neighborhoods for an old home as I happen to like the homes that are 100% wood. I even looked in the Third Ward.

Anyway, my point is that I've noticed people dress differently in the urban vs suburban areas; the further out from the city center you get, the more differently people dress. I'm not here to debate why, 'just pointing out an observation. I have no idea where zoo/safari/wild came from in what I said, but those are clearly your words/thoughts, not mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 08:32 AM

1 posts, read 588 times
Default African centered store in Beaumont

Peace and Blessings,
I've recently moved to the Beaumont/Port Arthur area and have found the lack of cultural stores and events very disturbing. With the Lamar college in the area I would have expected many diverse eateries, book stores, and culturally centered events more prevalent. I would like to see more African based and ancestral educational services and events in this area....

Old 07-08-2014, 09:00 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,633,404 times
So would I !

Old 07-09-2014, 11:40 AM

568 posts, read 901,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Just as well as Houston. If anything, though, the most popular, year-round items would be jewelry and head cloths. Typically, some black Houstonians wear the full African attire during BHM and around Kwanzaa (for those who observe it). It's much cooler during those times, so people are able to dress up more.

Houston has a significant African population, and there are already numerous African stores here. It doesn't hurt to have another one, though.
African clothes are actually great for hot days bc of the fabric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas