Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 08:35 PM

12 posts, read 21,978 times

Advertisements

Husband and I are considering opening a store that sells African clothing, beauty aids for men and women, jewelry and other items from various African countries. Since there is a large population of African Americans in the Beaumont and Port Arthur area of east Texas, we thought this would be a perfect location for such a business. We would appreciate any feedback, thoughts and ideas as well as constructive criticism as regards business.
Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 07:46 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default Wrong area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbird55 View Post
Husband and I are considering opening a store that sells African clothing, beauty aids for men and women, jewelry and other items from various African countries. Since there is a large population of African Americans in the Beaumont and Port Arthur area of east Texas, we thought this would be a perfect location for such a business. We would appreciate any feedback, thoughts and ideas as well as constructive criticism as regards business.
Thank you in advance.
I think you are making a mal connection between black Americans and African clothing. Sans the clothes, I think a store selling African goods can be viable, but not in the area you describe. Have you considered Houston?

I think you are making a bad connection between black Americans and African clothing; just because there are many black Americans does not mean they want African clothing. It would be like opening an African clothing store in the Third Ward in Houston.... there are many black Americans there too, but they are urban in nature, and dress the 'American' way.

Also, when I see an image of someone purchasing African clothing, I think of a metropolitan, highly educated person. Diversity. The area you describe does not echo of that to me. I don't live there of course, so perhaps I am way off there.

When I think of African clothing, I see nice colors, patterns and quality. The clothes to me look formal, or maybe it is just because I typically see these clothes worn by true Africans at church (Catholic). They really are nice to look at, but I don't see black Americans embracing them, if not as novelty clothing. I guess price would have a lot do do with it; the clothes I've seen do no look cheap.

Anyway, 'probably not what you wanted to hear... just my first gut reaction. Good luck.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:00 AM

Thank you so much. We appreciate your honest. On reflection, you are absolutely right. The clothing we were thinking of would not really be practical in this area. The African clothing we considered would be better suited to the east coast, (New York City; Atlanta, Georgia; or Washington, D.C.) Perhaps even the west coast, Los Angeles - Inglewood area of California.

SilverPhoenix

Old 07-09-2013, 08:23 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbird55 View Post
Thank you so much. We appreciate your honest. On reflection, you are absolutely right. The clothing we were thinking of would not really be practical in this area. The African clothing we considered would be better suited to the east coast, (New York City; Atlanta, Georgia; or Washington, D.C.) Perhaps even the west coast, Los Angeles - Inglewood area of California.

SilverPhoenix
Just as well as Houston. If anything, though, the most popular, year-round items would be jewelry and head cloths. Typically, some black Houstonians wear the full African attire during BHM and around Kwanzaa (for those who observe it). It's much cooler during those times, so people are able to dress up more.

Houston has a significant African population, and there are already numerous African stores here. It doesn't hurt to have another one, though.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:23 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
Doesn't Houston have the largest Nigerian population in America? Open up a store there.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:16 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,268,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I think you are making a mal connection between black Americans and African clothing. Sans the clothes, I think a store selling African goods can be viable, but not in the area you describe. Have you considered Houston?

I think you are making a bad connection between black Americans and African clothing; just because there are many black Americans does not mean they want African clothing. It would be like opening an African clothing store in the Third Ward in Houston.... there are many black Americans there too, but they are urban in nature, and dress the 'American' way.

Also, when I see an image of someone purchasing African clothing, I think of a metropolitan, highly educated person. Diversity. The area you describe does not echo of that to me. I don't live there of course, so perhaps I am way off there.

When I think of African clothing, I see nice colors, patterns and quality. The clothes to me look formal, or maybe it is just because I typically see these clothes worn by true Africans at church (Catholic). They really are nice to look at, but I don't see black Americans embracing them, if not as novelty clothing. I guess price would have a lot do do with it; the clothes I've seen do no look cheap.

Anyway, 'probably not what you wanted to hear... just my first gut reaction. Good luck.
I agree with this, and I am originally from the Beaumont area. I don't think there will be a market for it there. Houston, however, is a different story.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:20 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post

Wow great way to generalize us as URBAN IN NATURE as if were some display at a Zoo. Like you're a zoologist on a safari analyzing the African Americanus behavior in the "wild".

But anywho, it's actually 2 African book,clothing stores in 3rd Ward one on MLK and another one on Almeda rd. I'd say if you want to be successful business showcasing African clothing don't just limited it to clothing. Diversify you're products. Accessories,jewelry,clothing,books,dvds,African health products,black soap, shea butter,etc.

I actually feel like Houston needs more. We only have one on the Northside that i'm aware of which is in Greenspoint Mall and it's a cool little spot.

Also like I stated if you diversify you're products there could be a market in Beamount for it. The reason why I state this is because there's a business owned by a Kenyan family in Longview, East Texas that's been in business since the early 90's. It's called African trumpet and it's right there in the African american dominated area of Longview. I know because my parents were friends with the owners and also help organized a grassroots organization to progress the southside community in the 90's. One of the main agendas was to open up more black owned/theme businesses in the community. But I think the African Trumpet started selling more items then just clothes because I don't see alot of people walking around with African clothing on in Longview. Accessories and jewelry is another thing. Buying books and dvd's that's African centered/ Pan African centered is also another thing.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:32 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Wow great way to generalize us as URBAN IN NATURE as if were some display at a Zoo. Like you're a zoologist on a safari analyzing the African Americanus behavior in the "wild".
Many non-black posters here do act like that and ATTEMPT to analyze our culture and mannerisms from their own skewed perceptions, but I'm not sure that's what HTBU was doing. If not a bit misinformed, he was simply offering his own personal knowledge of what he's seen, but openly admitted that he might be mistaken. Some of these other folks will do no such thing and insist that it's their place to teach us about our own heritage (or lack thereof...according to them). It's one thing I've come to hate about this forum.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:35 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Historic west side of Port Arthur may have potential, along Gulfway Drive. Will likely need some heavy security for your shop though.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:15 PM

Thank you so much everyone. My husband and I have much to consider.

SilverPhoenix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas