Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2013, 05:54 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,006,169 times

Advertisements

Hi, just wondering what info there is about getting certified as a teacher in Texas. I currently have my Masters in special education, and we currently live in NY but of course theres no jobs. Husband can retire in a few years so thats not an issue. Thanks to everyone in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 09:42 AM

517 posts, read 1,052,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Hi, just wondering what info there is about getting certified as a teacher in Texas. I currently have my Masters in special education, and we currently live in NY but of course theres no jobs. Husband can retire in a few years so thats not an issue. Thanks to everyone in advance.
The pay is low and there may be issues with Social Security as Texas teachers typically do not pay into it. There are opening typically in the rural school districts. The best way to find out is to get a list of all the school districts and the google the websites and look for postings. In the rural districts you can actually talk to the super indendant.

Good luck
Qazulight

Old 07-10-2013, 02:43 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,758,301 times
Do you have a general idea of where in TX you would want to move to? As you know, TX is huge and there are alot of school districts. You might be able to get into rural districts a little easier but even then, it can be hard. Our school district (rural) is ridiculous to get into and literally someone has to either move or die for an opening. It depends on the district, rural or not, but as the previous poster recommended, check out the districts and see what is available. Good luck.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:09 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,737,640 times
Google SBEC for the certification requirements for out of state teachers. Basically you apply to SBEC and get a 1 year temporary license during which time you take the Texas certification exams and such. Pretty easy compared to most states.

Do your homework regarding retirement benefits because the Texas teachers pension doesn't participate in social security and if you have a big social security work history built up the government will claw back some of it.

Texas is a giant state and the ease of finding teaching jobs is generally inversely proportional to the desirability of the school and community. Finding teaching jobs in the upscale suburbs of Austin and Dallas will be tough. Poorer rural areas, inner cities, and the border zone will be easier.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:13 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,737,640 times
Oh yes. The state is divided up into a bunch of different education service districts that cover different regions. Job openings for each region are generally posted by region.

For example, here is the job listing site for region 12 which is Waco and all the surrounding towns. http://www.esc12.net/jobs

You will have to google up all the other TEA regional sites to find their listings.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:31 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
My DIL is the HR person in charge of staffing teaching positions in Austin high schools.

She told me a few weeks ago her office recently purged about 50,000 applications out of the 120,000 they had on file.

IIRC, Austin has about 5,700 total teachers in the district, with less than half those being high school faculty. I don't know what the turnover rate is these days, but if it's around 10% you are looking at roughly 200-300 positions being vacated each year.

Now with about 70,000 applications still on file and a few thousand new ones coming in to fill those few jobs, you can see the competition is going to be tough....at least in Austin. The same is probably true for nearby districts. If you have a much in demand specialty (ESL or Special Ed), then it might be somewhat "easier".

I have no idea what's going on at the elementary level.

The wife of my brother's grandson recently got a faculty position at an Austin elementary school - she has state certification for American Sign Language.

If you get certified in Special Ed, then your chances will be better than most of those applicants.

Two members of my extended family were Special Ed teachers, and several others are currently teaching or retired. I put in 30 years in secondary schools myself, retiring in the '90s.

Best of luck to you and your husband.

Last edited by ScoPro; 07-11-2013 at 08:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: