Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you consider yourself on the political spectrum
Fiscally Very Conservative 21 18.26%
Socially Very Conservative 7 6.09%
Fiscally Conservative 27 23.48%
Socially Conservative 9 7.83%
Fiscally Conservative-Moderate 23 20.00%
Socially Conservative-Moderate 11 9.57%
Moderate 11 9.57%
Fiscally Liberal - Moderate 12 10.43%
Socially Liberal - Moderate 21 18.26%
Fiscally Liberal 7 6.09%
Socially Liberal 28 24.35%
Fiscally Very Liberal 8 6.96%
Socially Very Liberal 25 21.74%
Not sure 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 08:49 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Somebody explain to me wtf is "Fiscal liberal"?
Is that a person that is against corporate subsidies, sending foreign aid to other countries and closing US military bases in other countries?
Free-spender. Someone who believes that the main obstacle to curing society's ills is insufficient government spending.

Has nothing to do with what those ills are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 09:19 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Fiscally Liberal/Socially Conservative moderate

I am big on government funds used to build up infrastructure and for social programs to help those less fortunate (and NO I'm not talking about lazy people).

Socially, for the most part I'm on more of the conservative side due to my Christian beliefs, however, I didn't pot full on conservative because I believe a lot of social conservatives are mouth breathers that don't really know what the heck they're talking about.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:24 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
By Texas standards, fiscally moderate, socially very liberal. On a national scale, fiscally conservative, socially moderate.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:49 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,726,103 times
I think people who are fiscally liberal tend to not see "government" or use the term "government" in the same way as fiscal conservatives. We probably don't even see ourselves as "fiscally liberal" since we don't fundamentally make the same kinds of assumptions as people who do see themselves as "fiscal conservatives."

The main difference is that "fiscal liberals" put a higher priority on society as such. Like John Stuart Mill, we are more apt to gauge the quality of a society by how well most of its members are doing as people, rather than by how well its businesses are doing.

Following from that, we tend to see corporate entities in a very different light than fiscal conservatives. To a "fiscal liberal" a corporation is falsely called a "citizen," and actually is more like what conservatives would call "government" in terms of its influence on a society. We don't assume that a profitable corporation is evil, but we also don't assume that a profitable corporation is always indication of something working right, as so many fiscal conservatives do.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:33 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
By Texas standards, fiscally moderate, socially very liberal. On a national scale, fiscally conservative, socially moderate.
This is a very good broad point! It has been more than once that I have talked with people from the NE or West Coast who have said they considered themselves "conservative" where they came from, but found themselves labeled a "liberal" here in Texas. That is why, naturally, polls like this are very subjective. Hell, even among Texans they probably are. After all, a young native Texan from Austin might think his/her self conservative...then find out that they are considered "radical left" in Waxahatchie! LOL

Old 07-14-2013, 11:54 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
I think people who are fiscally liberal tend to not see "government" or use the term "government" in the same way as fiscal conservatives. We probably don't even see ourselves as "fiscally liberal" since we don't fundamentally make the same kinds of assumptions as people who do see themselves as "fiscal conservatives."

The main difference is that "fiscal liberals" put a higher priority on society as such. Like John Stuart Mill, we are more apt to gauge the quality of a society by how well most of its members are doing as people, rather than by how well its businesses are doing.

Following from that, we tend to see corporate entities in a very different light than fiscal conservatives. To a "fiscal liberal" a corporation is falsely called a "citizen," and actually is more like what conservatives would call "government" in terms of its influence on a society. We don't assume that a profitable corporation is evil, but we also don't assume that a profitable corporation is always indication of something working right, as so many fiscal conservatives do.
This is a great post and with very good points, but I have to quibble in that most of us true fiscal conservatives are not only not at all supportive of "corporate subsidies", but consider it just as much welfare as "welfare queens" living in subsidized apartment complexes getting paid by tax dollars to have more illegitimate children. Both are anathema to fiscal conservatives.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:40 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,197 times
Everyone is a liberal until they get mugged.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:48 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Somebody explain to me wtf is "Fiscal liberal"?
Is that a person that is against corporate subsidies, sending foreign aid to other countries and closing US military bases in other countries?
Fiscal liberals are the people who want to take money from the productive people in society to give to the people who want to live off of section 8, EBT cards, TANF payments, government-paid cell phones, Medicaid, etc.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:57 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Fiscal liberals are the people who want to take money from the productive people in society to give to the people who want to live off of section 8, EBT cards, TANF payments, government-paid cell phones, Medicaid, etc.
Nope, don't see any political bias in this answer at all

Old 07-14-2013, 05:17 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,726,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Come on, War Beagle, you do understand that things aren't that simple. For one, you have absolutely no coherent definition of the term "productive," which could mean a whole host of things. My best friend's dad has worked as a farm hand his whole life. He's been more physically "productive" of the movement of goods and services than many small business owners, working his fingers to the bone. He had a heart attack a few years ago with no insurance. (BTW I know this story sounds made-up but I can assure you it's not). Now he's going to be paying the hospital bill for the rest of his life. Oh, golly gee, I guess he should've been more industrious or something. I'd rather pay 20 or even 30% more in taxes and have a national single payer health care system. Instead, my best friend's dad goes without while my wife and I await our second baby with bookoo pharmaceutical samples floating around our house and a room reserved at the Memorial Hermann. This disparity is morally repugnant and needs to be changed. That is the sentiment that defines a fiscal liberal. And btw, I can accept the thinking behind a fair amount of fiscal conservatism, so long as the society as a whole is considered. I don't feel the need to simplify the logic behind fiscal conservative thinking like you do mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas