Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 08:58 PM

197 posts, read 278,427 times

Advertisements

Could this supermarket have been either Weingartens, Safeway, or AppleTree many years ago? Also, is Vidor far outside Randalls territory? Because Randalls is owned by Safeway today...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 09:42 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,227,297 times
Randalls targets a different income demographic in SE Tx that what Vidor can supply. I don't think even Beaumont can support a Randalls.

Orange used to have Weingartens, then Safeway, and also AppleTree, so it's quite possible Vidor did too, but Market Basket is old, ad firmly entrenched in SE Tx/SW LA.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:59 PM

3,245 posts, read 5,588,708 times
Market Basket is owned by Bruce Thompson (Or was back in the day). Their first store was in Port Neches and back in the 50's and 60's it was called Mr. T's. I think their 1st MB store was built in Pt. Neches around 1970. Then they built a semi mega store in Groves ... Bruces. Their game lately (last 20 years) is acquiring other out of business facilities and opening their brand. Generally have a good meat market. I'd guess they have 25 stores now in SE Texas.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:45 AM

421 posts, read 830,959 times
DanielWayne, if Randalls is owned by Safeway, why would Randalls target a different income level than Safeway itself? Are you sure you do not mean the Randalls Flagship more upscale stores? Safeway used to be found all over Houston and all over Texas, but it is a possibility that many areas that used to have Safeway went downhill themselves sometime after Safeway left.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:14 AM

Also, BobTex, exactly 20 years ago right now happens to be 1993, the year AppleTree (the Houston chain that broke off from Safeway in 1988) went out of business. Do you specifically remember Market Basket ever buying a store(s) from AppleTree? Or perhaps Safeway itself earlier than 1993? I was under the impression Safeway would have left Vidor no later than 1988, because the Houston division was dissolved then, but considering how different Vidor/Beaumont is from Houston, I got the feeling Safeway stores in these more rural areas would have hung on longer than the stores in the more urban Houston division.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:13 AM

795 posts, read 1,577,784 times
Market Basket is still around? Wow. I remember that chain in southern California growing up in the 60's and 70's.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:27 AM

That would have to be a completely different organization with a name that is coincidentally the same as this Texas/Louisiana chain. I also have heard of a chain called Market Basket in New England though which is perhaps the same as the one in California. And in The Woodlands, a store called Food Basket is in what used to be a store called Claytons Supermarket from the 70s, but this may or may not be related to Market Basket.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:33 PM

On a similar topic, I wish the Albertsons/Kroger eyesore in Willis (across from the relatively new Kroger Marketplace) could become a Specs. Or perhaps even Kroger could run a full liquor store (with spirits) there as the store would not sell the usual supermarket merchandise.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:34 PM

3,245 posts, read 5,588,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
Also, BobTex, exactly 20 years ago right now happens to be 1993, the year AppleTree (the Houston chain that broke off from Safeway in 1988) went out of business. Do you specifically remember Market Basket ever buying a store(s) from AppleTree? Or perhaps Safeway itself earlier than 1993? I was under the impression Safeway would have left Vidor no later than 1988, because the Houston division was dissolved then, but considering how different Vidor/Beaumont is from Houston, I got the feeling Safeway stores in these more rural areas would have hung on longer than the stores in the more urban Houston division.
I can't answer to the Vidor case as I can't really remember that ... mostly because I rarely traveled downtown Vidor ... ever. I shopped a Safeway in Port Arthur occasionally in the early 1980's. Safeway was here locally(Golden Triangle) but not a very strong presence.

I don't consider Jefferson or even Orange County as rural .

ru·ral [roor-uhl]
adjective
of, pertaining to, or characteristic of the country, country life, or country people; rustic: rural tranquillity.
living in the country: the rural population.
of or pertaining to agriculture: rural economy.

This Market Basket chain is completely locally homegrown as I stated above in my original post on this subject. Originated in Port Neches, Texas with their flagship store in Groves, Texas (Bruce's) named for the original store owner Bruce Thompson. Their homepage: Market Basket - Family Owned & Operated

Old 10-03-2013, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,336 times
The Cross Shopping Center, in Vidor was built in 1972-3 and when it originally opened where Market basket is now that the Thompson family own, was originally Weingartens Supermarket. Weingarten has had the management contract spence inception. I know this is a old post,but mr monicapies might like to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas