Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 07:58 PM

751 posts, read 1,481,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
They are the most boring license plates on the planet.
^^^This^^^

I bought two cars a little over a year ago, and am glad it was before those new boring black and white plates came out. They are just plain ugly, IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 08:57 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losttechnician View Post
^^^This^^^

I bought two cars a little over a year ago, and am glad it was before those new boring black and white plates came out. They are just plain ugly, IMO
It's odd because prior to 1975, they came in different colors, blue on white, green on white, red on white, white on black, black on yellow, etc. Then they decided to go with the boring plates that we've had since except for the brief period of cowboy plates and the water-color plates.

Last edited by wehotex; 07-21-2013 at 09:06 PM..

Old 07-21-2013, 08:58 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
^^^This^^^

I'm ticked off that I can't get the plates that came just before the new b/w ones. They ARE boring, but easy to read.

*Sigh*

Old 07-22-2013, 07:43 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
They probably did it on purpose so they could jack up revenue from vanity/custom plates.

I actually like the new boring plates.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
They probably did it on purpose so they could jack up revenue from vanity/custom plates.

I actually like the new boring plates.
I was sorely tempted--until I found out that it's not just a one-time high fee. You pay extra EVERY year.

Forget that. I'll just go with boring and be done with it.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:28 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I was sorely tempted--until I found out that it's not just a one-time high fee. You pay extra EVERY year.

Forget that. I'll just go with boring and be done with it.
Exactly. The state nickles and dimes you enough as it is. They're not getting extra money from me for a freaking license plate.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:34 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,029,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
They are the most boring license plates on the planet.
Quote:
^^^This^^^

I couldn't agree more! IMO, it's pathetic that the state of Texas came up with that extremely boring, ugly plate. Almost any design would have been better than that **** thing...lol.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midessan View Post
Yep, the police said that the colorful plates where too hard to read.
Which they indeed were. Next time your're in a parking lot, walk toward a car with the old plates, and as soon as you can read the number, count the number of paces to the car. Then do the same with a car that has the new plates, and see the difference. You can read the new ones from almost twice as far away as the old ones. There is a reason why they have numbers on them, and that purpose is defeated if they can't be read.

Anyone who wants their car to have a beautiful, colorful advertising poster on it, they can put one on next to the license plate.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:55 PM

220 posts, read 454,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Thats not how it works.

You went to MyPlates.com, right?

You pay for the plates for however many years you want them, for example I got the black plates for 5 years and paid about $200.

When the plates come in you pick them up at the county tax-assessor you pay a pro-rated amount for your yearly registration so your plate is good for the whole year. For example I had just renewed my car registration in January, when I decided to get custom plates in March I ended up paying about $12 IIRC.

Then every year you just pay your regular registration, it's not extra per year.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John26 View Post
Thats not how it works.

You went to MyPlates.com, right?

You pay for the plates for however many years you want them, for example I got the black plates for 5 years and paid about $200.

When the plates come in you pick them up at the county tax-assessor you pay a pro-rated amount for your yearly registration so your plate is good for the whole year. For example I had just renewed my car registration in January, when I decided to get custom plates in March I ended up paying about $12 IIRC.

Then every year you just pay your regular registration, it's not extra per year.

https://rts.texasonline.state.tx.us/...id=20&pltid=21

Colleges and Universities License Plates

Show your school pride and help fund scholarships by displaying collegiate license plates on your vehicle. The fee for college/university plates is $30, with $22 going to the Higher Education Coordinating Board dedicated to scholarships for students who demonstrate a need for financial assistance.

The $30 fee must be paid each year in addition to regular registration fees and any other applicable fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: