Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Buttermilk: Which Best Describes Your Taste"
I Love and Drink It Regularly 3 10.00%
I Like and Occasionally Drink It. 4 13.33%
I Drink It Mixed with Sweet Milk 1 3.33%
I Have Tried It and Hate/Dislike the Taste 7 23.33%
The Thought of Trying it Makes Me Sick 6 20.00%
My Parents/Grandparents Drank It, but Rule Me Out 7 23.33%
I Would Be Willing To Try It 2 6.67%
Other (please explain) 4 13.33%
Option: Buttermilk is great when mashed up with cornbread! 6 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 02:32 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

That's it, I'm going to make some homemade buttermilk. I already make homemade yogurt and kefir and kefir cheese, so why the heck not!

I like buttermilk in small doses and I LOVE crumpled up cornbread in cold buttermilk. Even better (and even more fattening) if the cornbread is hot water cornbread (fried in thin patties). Now THAT'S some good eating!

My dad adds BLACK EYED PEAS to this mixture, but I can't go that far.

Oh, and I love "sweet milk" too. Just this morning, I had two big frothy cups of Nawlins style cafe latte made with rich, creamy organic "sweet milk." When possible, I buy raw milk, but it's hard to get sometimes. The local supplier runs out the first or second day they get the shipment each week. It is so delicious. I'm thinking that's the best milk to make homemade buttermilk from.

I keep meaning to make butter as well, but I usually end up drinking the raw milk before I can discipline myself enough to actually make some butter from it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
I do love a buttermilk pie and I use buttermilk when I make hush puppies, cornbread or biscuits. Otherwise, I stick with 2% fat milk.
OMG I hate to brag but I found (and now make) THE BEST BUTTERMILK PIE RECIPE. It's so easy to make - it's probably the same recipe nearly everyone else uses. It is a family favorite and if I don't bring at least one buttermilk pie for Thanksgiving and Christmas, my name is mud.

Like you, I also use buttermilk in place of "sweet milk" in many recipes and it's delicious.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:15 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Thanks, Cathy!
Enjoy!

Old 07-21-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OMG I hate to brag but I found (and now make) THE BEST BUTTERMILK PIE RECIPE. It's so easy to make - it's probably the same recipe nearly everyone else uses. It is a family favorite and if I don't bring at least one buttermilk pie for Thanksgiving and Christmas, my name is mud.

Like you, I also use buttermilk in place of "sweet milk" in many recipes and it's delicious.
I don't remember ever having had buttermilk pie--is it like lemon chess pie?

Old 07-21-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
That's it, I'm going to make some homemade buttermilk. I already make homemade yogurt and kefir and kefir cheese, so why the heck not!

I like buttermilk in small doses and I LOVE crumpled up cornbread in cold buttermilk. Even better (and even more fattening) if the cornbread is hot water cornbread (fried in thin patties). Now THAT'S some good eating!

My dad adds BLACK EYED PEAS to this mixture, but I can't go that far.

Oh, and I love "sweet milk" too. Just this morning, I had two big frothy cups of Nawlins style cafe latte made with rich, creamy organic "sweet milk." When possible, I buy raw milk, but it's hard to get sometimes. The local supplier runs out the first or second day they get the shipment each week. It is so delicious. I'm thinking that's the best milk to make homemade buttermilk from.

I keep meaning to make butter as well, but I usually end up drinking the raw milk before I can discipline myself enough to actually make some butter from it!
Yes. The buttermilk will be better with raw milk--and so would the sour cream, but I can't get either here. I have never been able to find any that's not pasturized or (worse) ultra-pasterized.

If you like sour cream, try that, too--it's better than commercial, and tastes more like creme fraiche or Mexican crema. It's SOOOOO good!

Old 07-21-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I don't remember ever having had buttermilk pie--is it like lemon chess pie?
Yes, it's very similar to chess pie when it comes to the consistency.

Here's the very simple recipe:
My So-Called (Mommy) Life: Buttermilk Pie

If someone doesn't have any buttermilk on hand, they can add a teaspoon or so of vinegar to the milk and stir - instant mock buttermilk. It works just as well!

Old 07-21-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Yes. The buttermilk will be better with raw milk--and so would the sour cream, but I can't get either here. I have never been able to find any that's not pasturized or (worse) ultra-pasterized.

If you like sour cream, try that, too--it's better than commercial, and tastes more like creme fraiche or Mexican crema. It's SOOOOO good!
Oh my - I LOVE creme fraiche!

Off topic, but I just ordered some clotted cream from Amazon. I bet I could make that from raw milk as well... Hmmmm....

Old 07-21-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Yes, it's very similar to chess pie when it comes to the consistency.

Here's the very simple recipe:
My So-Called (Mommy) Life: Buttermilk Pie

If someone doesn't have any buttermilk on hand, they can add a teaspoon or so of vinegar to the milk and stir - instant mock buttermilk. It works just as well!
Hey, thanks! I may twist off and make that sometime.

But baking is a challenge here at higher elevations (cutoff point for most is about 3,000 ft, and I'm way above that). I made some biscuits this morning (supposed to be a Bisquick mix, but I made it from homemade mix). Instructions say 425 for about 8 min.

I had to bake them in cast iron at 450 for 25 min to get them to brown. They were still sort of underdone in the center, so I guess I'll have toasted biscuits for the rest of the week, LOL!

Old 07-21-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Oh my - I LOVE creme fraiche!

Off topic, but I just ordered some clotted cream from Amazon. I bet I could make that from raw milk as well... Hmmmm....
I've heard of clotted cream, but have never had it.

Yep, you can make that--only problem for me is that it specifically says NOT ultra-pasturized, and that's about all I can get here.

http://www.theculinarylife.com/2011/make-clotted-cream/

There isn't very much that you can't get at Amazon, and with a Prime membership, it's a bargain!

Old 07-21-2013, 05:47 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post

Lol--y'all know of my love for delicious, tangy buttermilk! You can't really get the real stuff anymore, but I do just fine with the 1% cultured--pretty much all that's available. Borden makes a whole milk version, but it's too "much" for me.
Quote:
Cathy wrote: I know--I really miss the tangy, more acidy buttermilk of my childhood a hundred years ago....
I have often wondered about that too....

Why CAN'T you get the real McCoy (buttermilk as in more than low-fat) today? Is it something akin to why you cannot go to one of the small town private dairy producers and get fresh cow milk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas