Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Buttermilk: Which Best Describes Your Taste"
I Love and Drink It Regularly 3 10.00%
I Like and Occasionally Drink It. 4 13.33%
I Drink It Mixed with Sweet Milk 1 3.33%
I Have Tried It and Hate/Dislike the Taste 7 23.33%
The Thought of Trying it Makes Me Sick 6 20.00%
My Parents/Grandparents Drank It, but Rule Me Out 7 23.33%
I Would Be Willing To Try It 2 6.67%
Other (please explain) 4 13.33%
Option: Buttermilk is great when mashed up with cornbread! 6 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 11:58 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,911,414 times

Advertisements

Lol--y'all know of my love for delicious, tangy buttermilk! You can't really get the real stuff anymore, but I do just fine with the 1% cultured--pretty much all that's available. Borden makes a whole milk version, but it's too "much" for me. BTW--I won't drink a drop of "sweet milk". The thought of it makes me gag!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 12:05 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,784,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Lol--y'all know of my love for delicious, tangy buttermilk! You can't really get the real stuff anymore, but I do just fine with the 1% cultured--pretty much all that's available. Borden makes a whole milk version, but it's too "much" for me. BTW--I won't drink a drop of "sweet milk". The thought of it makes me gag!
I know--I really miss the tangy, more acidy buttermilk of my childhood a hundred years ago....

But I like to make my own to get a whole milk version--all I can get here is a low-fat kind. So.....I buy a pint of Lucerne (Safeway housebrand, I think..) regular low-fat buttermilk and make both buttermilk and sour cream (from heavy/whipping cream) from that.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Old 07-21-2013, 12:23 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,512,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Lol--y'all know of my love for delicious, tangy buttermilk! You can't really get the real stuff anymore, but I do just fine with the 1% cultured--pretty much all that's available. Borden makes a whole milk version, but it's too "much" for me. BTW--I won't drink a drop of "sweet milk". The thought of it makes me gag!:eek:
One of my grandfathers was that way. He could only drink buttermilk; he always said sweet milk gave him acid indigestion!

Off on another tangent, for some of the younger Texans that don't know? "Sweet milk" is the old Texas/Southern term for what is now just sold as regular milk.

And off on yet another tangent (that I am sure a few of my fellow Texans can relate to)? My granddaddy once related the story of how he and my grandmother were on a vacation in the north somewhere, and were having breakfast. He ordered, and asked for "sweet milk" to go with it. She brought him a glass of milk...and two packs of sugar! LOL

Old 07-21-2013, 12:25 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,734,405 times
Only for baking purposes or soaking chicken/fish/meat in and for that I prefer it over sweet milk. But to just drink? Nope!

Braum's used to have the best buttermilk. Rich and thick. Same on the chocolate milk. OMG It was the best! Just rich and thick and chocolately. Mmm, delicious!

Now it's all that low-fat crap. LOL Lot cheaper on them to make!

Old 07-21-2013, 12:28 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,960,929 times
I do love a buttermilk pie and I use buttermilk when I make hush puppies, cornbread or biscuits. Otherwise, I stick with 2% fat milk.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:04 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,413,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Off on another tangent, for some of the younger Texans that don't know? "Sweet milk" is the old Texas/Southern term for what is now just sold as regular milk.
Thanks for the clarification. I grew up here, but I'm under 30 and never heard of the term.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:42 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,571,926 times
We called the regular stuff sweet milk too when I was growing up. I think I drank as much buttermilk as sweet milk back then. My mother loved the stuff even more than me. My daughter loves it now (30 years old) since I used to keep it in the fridge all the time.

My grandmother only kept buttermilk on hand, since it was what was left over from churning butter. It was definitely rich! Buttermilk and cornbread is a true delicacy - as long as you let the cornbread cool down first! I like it with salt, pepper, and maybe some chopped green onions in it.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Only for baking purposes or soaking chicken/fish/meat in and for that I prefer it over sweet milk. But to just drink? Nope!

Braum's used to have the best buttermilk. Rich and thick. Same on the chocolate milk. OMG It was the best! Just rich and thick and chocolately. Mmm, delicious!

Now it's all that low-fat crap. LOL Lot cheaper on them to make!
LOL!! I know, I know.

But if you want a full-fat buttermilk for baking/soaking, you can make it by combining regular whole milk with regular buttermilk as a starter.

How to Make Cultured Buttermilk: 9 Steps (with Pictures)

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser...buttermilk.htm

You just have to make sure that the bought buttermilk is not past its expiration date! I leave mine a full 36 hours. It freezes well, too, if you're going to use it for baking.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 07-21-2013 at 02:20 PM..

Old 07-21-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
One of my grandfathers was that way. He could only drink buttermilk; he always said sweet milk gave him acid indigestion!

And off on yet another tangent (that I am sure a few of my fellow Texans can relate to)? My granddaddy once related the story of how he and my grandmother were on a vacation in the north somewhere, and were having breakfast. He ordered, and asked for "sweet milk" to go with it. She brought him a glass of milk...and two packs of sugar! LOL
LOLOLOL!! My grandparents always called it "sweet" milk, too, but not my parents.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:11 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,734,405 times
Thanks, Cathy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas