Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The left lane of the freeway is...
...for passing ONLY. 50 81.97%
...the "I'm late for work" lane. 14 22.95%
...for traveling at any speed I want, even if it's below the limit, so you'll deal with it! 2 3.28%
...a death sentence, in my town. 2 3.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 09:16 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times

Advertisements

I think it's time we settle this once and for all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 09:22 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I think it's time we settle this once and for all.
No matter where ya go with this, you should probably visit Missouri for a proper perspective. I followed a tool in a Dodge Ram who drove 150+ miles in the left lane on I-70 between KC & St. Louis without getting over. I've also had people in the left lane who move over to let me by and then get right back into the left lane. Lived in DFW for 12 years and have never seen it as bad as the 4 times I've driven across MO.

In Texas (and MO) it's legal to drive in the left lane for as long as you want as long as a) it's not posted otherwise and b) you're not impeding the flow of traffic (i.e. slower traffic keep right)

Old 07-22-2013, 09:37 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
I've always thought that there are people that ride the left lane in order to provide some sort of civilian speed enforcement.

But, yes, the left lane should be for passing.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:45 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,680 times
HUGE problem in the San Antonio metro area. There are actually people that have posted in the S.A. forums that they deliberately drive under the speed limit in the left lane of freeways to prevent others from speeding.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:36 AM

933 posts, read 1,532,778 times
I put for passing only, but it seems like a pretty large chunk of people around here would pick "...for traveling at any speed I want, even if it's below the limit, so you'll deal with it!"

Last edited by ReppingDFW; 07-22-2013 at 11:40 AM..

Old 07-22-2013, 10:38 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,628,678 times
I must vacate this thread immediately as I feel my B/P starting to rise.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:47 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Speaking in general terms...so save quoting statues of any given state or area because I really don't care.

"Slower traffic keep right" means anyone who can not maintain the speed limit....
It does not mean anyone slower than YOU.

Once someone is over the speed limit, they have as much right to be in the fast lane as anyone else does.....

THIS DOES NOT MEAN THEY SHOULD NOT MOVE OVER when someone wants to pass WHEN IT IS SAFE TO DO SO.

HOWEVER...if there is traffic in the slow lane you should not expect someone to move over immediately IF it means they will have to slow down to merge into the slow lane just so you can pass.

In other words....if you ride someones ass expecting them to get out of your way before they can do it without slowing down... then you are acting as a self appointed regulator of speed just as much as the idiot who won't move over.

MOST people I encounter will move over for me as long as I'm not being a jerk about it.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:49 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
I use the left lane for passing only. I don't hang out there. As soon as I've passed slower traffic and it's safe to switch lanes, I do so.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:06 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
It's really pretty simple in Texas, because it's right there in the Transportation Code (and case law, if one cares to look that up, too).

On SOME roadways, the left lane is for passing only, but only those specifically designated as such by TxDOT. On those roads that are so designated, there must be signage with specific working specified in the statute:

Texas Transportation Code - Section 544.011. Lane Use Signs
If, on a highway having more than one lane with vehicles traveling in the same direction, the
Texas Department of Transportation or a local authority places a sign that directs slower traffic to travel in a lane other than the farthest left lane, the sign must read "left lane for passing only."

From the Court of Criminal Appeals, 5th Circuit Court of Appeals, Rickey Dewayne Abney v. The State of Texas (there's a LOT here, but this is pertinent to this question):

"We consider the totality of the circumstances at the time of the detention to determine whether a reasonable suspicion existed to justify the officer's action. (26) The Transportation Code certainly indicates that if there is a sign present that says the left lane is for passing only, then it is a traffic offense to travel in the left lane when not passing another vehicle. Section 544.004(a) states that an operator of a vehicle shall comply with an applicable official traffic control device such as a "left lane for passing only" sign. Without such a sign present within a reasonable distance of the traffic stop, there is no offense."

In this particular case, there was such a sign, but it was either 15 or 27 miles back depending on which side was testifying, apparently, from where the stop took place, and therefore the officer who stopped the driver for driving in the left lane had no valid reason for such a stop.

So, IF the sign is there, the left lane is for passing only. If you have not passed it a reasonable distance behind you, then you can drive in the left lane.

In addition, when TxDOT needs to replace a sign that says "slower traffic move right", it is to be replaced with a sign that says "left lane for passing only". (I found the case law back in 2002 that no doubt led to this change in the statutes because those two things don't mean the same thing and it was argued in court.) So, now, the law is, on those stretches of road designated by TxDOT as left lane for passing only, there must be signage, and it can't be in effect for the entire length of the highway.

Now, the speed limit is also a law. That means that if you are driving the speed limit (or even less) and passing someone in a left lane for passing only section of the roadway, you're fine.

§ 545.352. PRIMA FACIE SPEED LIMITS. (a) A speed in excess of the limits established by Subsection (b) or under another provision of this subchapter is prima facie evidence that the speed is not reasonable and prudent and that the speed is unlawful.

If you're driving over the speed limit, it doesn't matter which lane you're doing it in, you're wrong and in violation of the law just as much as anyone driving in whatever lane and passing or not passing. (I can hear the squeals and wails from here!) In addition, there are sometimes minimum speed limits, per the statute:

§ 545.363. MINIMUM SPEED REGULATIONS. (a) An operator may not drive so slowly as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law. (b) When the Texas Transportation Commission, the Texas Turnpike Authority, the commissioners court of a county, or the governing body of a municipality, within the jurisdiction of each, as applicable, as specified in Sections 545.353 to 545.357, determines from the results of an engineering and traffic investigation that slow speeds on a part of a highway consistently impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, the commission, authority, county commissioners court, or governing body may determine and declare a minimum speed limit on the highway. (c) If appropriate signs are erected giving notice of a minimum speed limit adopted under this section, an operator may not drive a vehicle more slowly than that limit except as necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.
See how simple? Just go to the statutes and, if you want to argue with them because they don't say what you want them to say, case law, and it's easy!

Old 07-22-2013, 11:19 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Passing only! Move over once you are done. Hell if I can stay in the right lane going 70-72 for my entire journey, I'll do it. Left lane hogs aren't the only problem. The rolling roadblocks are as big of a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas