Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Sam Houston the most important political figure in Texas History ?
Yes 13 56.52%
No 5 21.74%
Undecided 2 8.70%
indifferent 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 08:18 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times

Advertisements

Sam Houston State University is commemorating the 150th anniversary of Sam Houston's death on July 26 and will open doors of the Steamboat House for public tours in Huntsville.

He died as an outcast in Texas , WHY ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 05:16 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
I don't know why he became an outcast but some history on the old fart might help explain.

HOUSTON, SAMUEL | The Handbook of Texas Online| Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)

Old 07-25-2013, 08:20 AM

Post Sam Houston died 150 years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
I don't know why he became an outcast but some history on the old fart might help explain.

HOUSTON, SAMUEL | The Handbook of Texas Online| Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)
Thanks for the link. It appears Sam's votes to contain slavery to where it existed, while in the US Senate didn't set well with the pro-slavery industry in Texas. Then the final straw was his refusal to sign an oath of loyalty to the Confederacy, as Governor of Texas in 1861, in keeping with his anti-secession pro-Union stance.

It appears from the avoidance of this thread and attached poll, that these attitudes towards General Sam may not have fully abated

Old 07-25-2013, 08:40 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Thanks for the link. It appears Sam's votes to contain slavery to where it existed, while in the US Senate didn't set well with the pro-slavery industry in Texas. Then the final straw was his refusal to sign an oath of loyalty to the Confederacy, as Governor of Texas in 1861, in keeping with his anti-secession pro-Union stance.

It appears from the avoidance of this thread and attached poll, that these attitudes towards General Sam may not have fully abated
I agree with his stance on the Confederacy/anti-secession. They should have listened to him.

I'm not happy about how he treated the Alamo defenders, so it's a very mixed bag. He was a very flawed human being, just like most of the rest of us.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:56 AM

Post Sam Houston died 150 years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I agree with his stance on the Confederacy/anti-secession. They should have listened to him.

I'm not happy about how he treated the Alamo defenders, so it's a very mixed bag. He was a very flawed human being, just like most of the rest of us.
"The story of the Alamo is known around the world. Like all legendary events, however, myths and misconceptions have sprung up that many people now take as fact. The following is a brief discussion of some of the inaccuracies that seem to be the most widely accepted."

"The notion that the men of the Alamo died buying time for Sam Houston to build an army is well-entrenched in Alamo lore, but a review of Houston's activities shows it to be unfounded"

"Houston arrived at Gonzales on March 11 to lead a relief expedition to San Antonio but by then the Alamo had already fallen. Thus, during the siege Houston was not building an army but engaged in other important business."

The Alamo

Old 07-26-2013, 08:45 AM

Default Sam Houston died 150 years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

I just wonder if the Texas Legislature ever apologized to Sam Houston (posthumously of course), or the voters who elected him, for removing him from office. The people just elected him a year or so earlier knowing full well what his views on secession were.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:00 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I just wonder if the Texas Legislature ever apologized to Sam Houston (posthumously of course), or the voters who elected him, for removing him from office. The people just elected him a year or so earlier knowing full well what his views on secession were.
That, I don't know!

Old 07-26-2013, 09:03 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
He did what he did. No man is perfect. I hold him in much higher esteem than George Washington who robbed from the federal funds.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:48 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times
Sam's story in musical form: The studio version is much better, but this is the best youtube had.

Say Ho - by Scott Miller and Commonweath

Say Ho (Sam Houston) - YouTube

Old 07-26-2013, 08:16 PM

Default Sam Houston died 150 years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
He did what he did. No man is perfect. I hold him in much higher esteem than George Washington who robbed from the federal funds.
Was this before or after he chopped down the Cherry tree ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Sam's story in musical form: The studio version is much better, but this is the best youtube had.

Say Ho - by Scott Miller and Commonweath

Say Ho (Sam Houston) - YouTube
I like this song, I wonder why I have never heard it before ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas