Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 10:48 PM

118 posts, read 488,026 times

Advertisements

Howdy,

We currently live in Florida. My husband got offered a higher position in his old job in Lake Charles, LA.

At first I was thinking of moving the Lafayette, but someone told me the health care is declining due to extreme budget cuts from the mayor they also mentioned TX as being better for healthcare.

We have 2 children, one of which is on life support... so reasonable healthcare is a MUST!!!!!!!!! She's "UN-insurable" as in no private insurance company would ever cover all of her needs. And it's not like we would be making millions to cover it ourselves. And if we did, we'd be broke. So she MUST have medicaid (some form of it at least)..

I was doing some research online and I believe it's Houston that has a really good children's hospital. Does anyone on here have experience with that? Or with DME companies... nursing agencies??
Our daughter is 4yr/old 24/7 ventilator dependent with g-tube... severely DD.. and is 100% dependent on us to care for her.

Any information would help. I was thinking of moving to Beaumont, since it's fairly close to Lake Charles, and also Houston.

If anybody has the number of like a parent liaison or social worker that could help steer me into the correct direction I would GREATLY appreciate it!!!

And if you have any opinions about Beaumont would be more than welcoming to them ))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 04:41 PM
rwr

268 posts, read 612,021 times
Default Houston healthcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness8t5 View Post
Howdy,

We currently live in Florida. My husband got offered a higher position in his old job in Lake Charles, LA.

At first I was thinking of moving the Lafayette, but someone told me the health care is declining due to extreme budget cuts from the mayor they also mentioned TX as being better for healthcare.

We have 2 children, one of which is on life support... so reasonable healthcare is a MUST!!!!!!!!! She's "UN-insurable" as in no private insurance company would ever cover all of her needs. And it's not like we would be making millions to cover it ourselves. And if we did, we'd be broke. So she MUST have medicaid (some form of it at least)..

I was doing some research online and I believe it's Houston that has a really good children's hospital. Does anyone on here have experience with that? Or with DME companies... nursing agencies??
Our daughter is 4yr/old 24/7 ventilator dependent with g-tube... severely DD.. and is 100% dependent on us to care for her.

Any information would help. I was thinking of moving to Beaumont, since it's fairly close to Lake Charles, and also Houston.

If anybody has the number of like a parent liaison or social worker that could help steer me into the correct direction I would GREATLY appreciate it!!!

And if you have any opinions about Beaumont would be more than welcoming to them ))
Houston has arguably the best healthcare in the world, especially for children and cancer patients.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:05 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Texas Childrens Hospital in Houston is one of the world's finest. That's where I took my daughter for her ear surgeries.

Try this number--
832-824-1919---- it says for Family Advocacy, so sounds like a start in the right direction. BTW, many people come from LA to Houston for medical care, the best of luck for you and your family!

Old 07-25-2013, 08:28 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,091 times
Scottish Rite in Dallas is also phenomenal and all care there is gratis.

A coworkers son was diagnosed with Leukemia and he was cured and my coworker, who did not make much, was not out a dime. I give a lot to SR as a result.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:57 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Scottish Rite only cares for certain things, and IIRC, life support patients are not one of them.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:38 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,632,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Scottish Rite only cares for certain things, and IIRC, life support patients are not one of them.

And is quite a drive from Lake Charles.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:57 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,632,596 times
If looking for intermitten high level of care the of course Texas Childrens is the best option for Texas and the US (arguably).

Is she in a long-term ventilator facility? Those are much less numerous. When we try to find a facility for a vent dependent patient it is sometimes a struggle. Beaumont does not have such a facility. If you do vent management at home though there is good ventilator home care support in the area. A good source is Walson's(Respiratory care) in Beaumont. Medical Supply, Respiratory Care, Mobility Scooters, Wheelchairs, Oxygen Supply at Walson Inc | Beaumont, Texas, Lake Charles, Louisiana

Beaumont is an option for him to work LC though as I know several folks commuting that drive for work. Be aware though that I-10 through Beaumont is one of the busiest stretches of Interstate in the US...and dangerous...frequently shut down for hours with accidents. It has been improved though in recent years with more lanes and better surfacing.

I work in the largest hospital in Beaumont in critical care but don't work directly in case management or with social services.

Good luck and God bless y'all!

Bob

Old 07-26-2013, 03:16 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
Houdston has the best medical facilities in the world. That said, legislators are slashing medicaid - so be aware. We have one of those governors that refuse Obamacare.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:48 PM

816 posts, read 1,947,144 times
Houston definitely has one of the best healthcare in the world, if not, just one of them.

Texas Medical Center saved my dad's life last year because of the special kind of melanoma he had that was 75% mortality rate, maybe higher because it is desoplasma (wrong spelling?). If he did it in other place, there's a very good chance he would not have survived. I know that is just one person, but I also know few other people had their lives saved from Texas Medical Center. That place is like a city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas