Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 03:07 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
Unfortunately, this is a very real possiblity since Texas, unlike California, is a police state.
LOL> I have to agree with that statement. When I lived in Texas for most of my life, I felt like I was always getting speeding tickets (1979-1990). In the entire 15 years (1991-2005) that I lived in Socal, I only received about 4. The Texas cops have too much time on their hands and are always chasing and speed trapping the motorists. SoCal has too many motorists to catch and not many who can actually drive the speed limit due to poor traffic flow. On one recent Friday evening, I saw at least half a dozen cops citing people on I-10 (major interstate) between Houston and San Antonio. In addition, there are many small towns that maintain speed traps to bust the occasional city slicker who blows through their town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 10:01 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times
We have a neighbor that moved here over a year ago and still has NC plates on both cars. He is in the service and stationed at the base; however, they have bought a house here and have all kinds of "toys" that still have NC plates. The NC plates expired in June so I am wondering if they are just trying to keep from paying TX fees and licences.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:58 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,368,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
LOL> I have to agree with that statement. When I lived in Texas for most of my life, I felt like I was always getting speeding tickets (1979-1990). In the entire 15 years (1991-2005) that I lived in Socal, I only received about 4. The Texas cops have too much time on their hands and are always chasing and speed trapping the motorists. SoCal has too many motorists to catch and not many who can actually drive the speed limit due to poor traffic flow. On one recent Friday evening, I saw at least half a dozen cops citing people on I-10 (major interstate) between Houston and San Antonio. In addition, there are many small towns that maintain speed traps to bust the occasional city slicker who blows through their town.
Just to make sure I am following the logic, you are blaming Texas police for enforcing the law you were breaking, then complimenting California police for spotty enforcement? Here is an idea, if you don't want the tickets, don't speed. That is like complaining that you got cited for littering after slinging the contents of a Whataburger bag out the driver's side window in front of the police.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:20 PM

296 posts, read 1,250,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Just to make sure I am following the logic, you are blaming Texas police for enforcing the law you were breaking, then complimenting California police for spotty enforcement? Here is an idea, if you don't want the tickets, don't speed. That is like complaining that you got cited for littering after slinging the contents of a Whataburger bag out the driver's side window in front of the police.
Agreed. A close friend was killed by a driver who was speeding, it's really just stupid and selfish. And when you get in an accident or harm or kill someone, getting to your destination a lousy 10 minutes faster really doesn't matter much in the end. Good for the police! I would hope they're doing their jobs...

Old 07-30-2013, 05:29 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,368,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taraox View Post
Agreed. A close friend was killed by a driver who was speeding, it's really just stupid and selfish. And when you get in an accident or harm or kill someone, getting to your destination a lousy 10 minutes faster really doesn't matter much in the end. Good for the police! I would hope they're doing their jobs...

I can't claim complete innocence as I will normally drive a bit above the posted speed limit, but will usually being going with the flow of traffic. My larger point was if you make the decision to exceed the posted speed limit, be prepared to pay the fine, don't blame the police when and if you are caught.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:12 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,135 times
The law reads:
"Not more than 30 days after purchasing a vehicle or becoming a resident of this state, the owner of a motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer shall apply for the registration of the vehicle for:"

You'd have to ask an attorney to be sure (I'm not one), but as long as you are enrolled in school, I think that you're considered a transient, and not someone who is seeking to establish residency. Therefore, I don't think that this law applies to you.

But you need to ask a lawyer. The State of Texas REALLY likes the money it makes off of registration fees, and I doubt that you'd get a warning for Failure To Register.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas