Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 10:43 AM

59 posts, read 110,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I will say this, the student body of both schools is extremely diverse.
Yessir.

U.S. News and World Report

#2 University of Houston
#25 University of Texas at Dallas

Forbes

#2 University of Houston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 01:25 PM

Okay, there's a lot to respond to here, so I hope you don't mind that I reformatted it some to make it simpler for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbonly View Post
Brianreading, I can see that your not going to go look at the information on the web, so here is all the information you were asking for:
I have zero problems with looking up information on the web, but how can I look up a ranking that I don't even have the name of? If you look back, you'll see that you were speaking in general terms "UTD is ranked higher than UH", and my question was ranked by who?

Quote:
University of Houston Information:

Official National Ranking Systems:
Again, there is no such thing as an "official" national ranking system.

Quote:
ARWU (National)---------------------------- 86–109 (Houston), 110-137 (UTD)
Forbes--------------------------- 344 (Houston), 367 (UTD)
U.S. News & World Report--------- 184 (Houston), 151 (UTD)
Washington Monthly--------------- 237 (Houston), 154 (UTD)
ARWU (Global)---------------------------- 201–300 (Houston), 301–400 (UTD)
QS------------------------------- 551–600 (Houston), Unranked (UTD)
Times---------------------------- 351–400 (Houston, UTD)
So, most of these rankings are pretty similar to each other. In some of these, Houston is ranked higher than UTD, and some of these UTD is ranked higher than Houston. My original point stands, there is no definitive claim that can be made as to which is higher ranked overall. It just depends on who you are consulting. This is where we can start looking at the legitimacy of methodologies.

Quote:
Kiplinger's------------------------- Unranked
Princeton Review------------------ The 377 Best Value schools (Houston, UTD),
Okay, these are not overall rankings. This just has to do with value. That is, the question of which university will cost relatively less to attend and still give good results. I addressed this in my last response to you. It's not meaningful overall. Also, the Princeton Review list is actually only 150 schools I believe.

Quote:
Engineering Ranking:
#76 (Houston, UTD) in Best Engineering Schools (Graduate)
#80 (Houston), #53 (UTD) in Computer Engineering
#89 (Houston), #60 (UTD) in Electrical / Electronic / Communications Engineering
#70 (Houston), #59 (UTD) in Materials Engineering
All of these rankings are based on the graduate programs, not undergraduate as we were talking about before. On a side note, seeing as how this is also coming from U.S. News and World Report, I find their methodology highly suspect. At the end of the day, I'm still awaiting this side-by-side comparison regarding overall or undergraduate programs at least.

Quote:
#96 in Undergraduate Engineering (UTD)
Top 100 in Undergraduate Engineering (Refuses to release actual number) (Houston)
I can see where you got the UTD figure, but can't find where the top 100 number for UH comes from. It seems that they will release actual numbers if you purchase them. Regardless, these numbers are flat-out illegitimate based on the methodology used. To quote U.S. News and World Report, the rankings "are based solely on the peer judgments of deans and senior faculty who rated each program they are familiar with on a scale from 1 (marginal) to 5 (distinguished)." That's not a ranking system, that's a popularity contest.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:12 PM

350 posts, read 749,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Nonsense. Endowment per student doesn't mean much.
You kidding me? I just finished getting into/choosing a college, and how much a school is going to be able to spend on me is a huge issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Rice had one of the highest endowment pet student in the country. I think it's higher than Harvard. Just because Rice per student endowment is that high didn't mean anything
LOL nope. Rice has the 12th highest endowment per student in the country. Harvard is number three (Princeton is first, and Yale number two). Rice is by no means the best school in the country, but it's a solid top 20 school, and the endowment per student definitely reflects that.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:39 PM

6 posts, read 18,479 times
Brianreading, most specific undergraduate program rankings are based on graduates programs since most schools do not offer undergraduate research. For this reason, you will find that most (even Princeton review and Carnegie) base their rankings off graduate programs, SAT scores, Professors, degrees awarded, etc, but not undergraduate programs since they do not produce tangible research. Also, by the term "official", I am referring to respected rankings that professionals and schools consider legitimate. You may not like their methodology (which is not based off of opinions like you stated Frequently Asked Questions: Best Colleges Rankings - US News and World Report) but schools and professionals believe they are a good enough measure of a school to list them on their sites as well attempt to meet their standards.

As for an overall comparison, I agree that they are very similar in rankings but to say UH is better is a blatant attempt at city pride and, quite frankly, very reckless. As for engineering, it is painfully obvious which has a stronger engineering program. Even by research expenditures for engineering ($23 million uh, $42 million utd) UTD appears to obviously be a stronger engineering school. They are ranked top ten for computer science and game design as well. I posted very thorough statistics of both schools rankings in engineering. The top 100 in undergraduate engineering is listed here Points of Pride - University of Houston I've never stated the uh was a bad school. I am saying that, contrary to what many Houstonians believe, it is not a clear winner of being a better school and UTD appears to be an obviously choice of an better engineering school.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Brianreading, most specific undergraduate program rankings are based on graduates programs since most schools do not offer undergraduate research. For this reason, you will find that most (even Princeton review and Carnegie) base their rankings off graduate programs, SAT scores, Professors, degrees awarded, etc, but not undergraduate programs since they do not produce tangible research.
Flat-out nonsense. Rankings are produced based on undergraduate programs all the time. In fact, it's most of the time.

Quote:
Also, by the term "official", I am referring to respected rankings that professionals and schools consider legitimate. You may not like their methodology (which is not based off of opinions like you stated)
Then I guess there are no "official" rankings then. Secondly, U.S. News & World Report is a layman's ranking, and doesn't mean a whole lot to most schools in terms of measuring academics. As far as it not being based off of opinions, it's just false. Let me quote their methodology: "The U.S. News ranking formula gives significant weight to the opinions of those in a position to judge a school's undergraduate academic excellence."

Just how significant a weight are these opinions given? Almost a quarter (22.5%) is based solely on how school presidents rate other institutions. Now, do you think UT-Austin's president is more likely to rate UTD over UH? You bet he is. UT-Austin directly profits from the success of UTD due to being the flagship institution of the UT System. Does this seem highly political? Yes. Based off of legitimate objective academic observations? No. This is why I cannot give this methodology credibility.

Quote:
As for engineering, it is painfully obvious which has a stronger engineering program.
Still waiting on those side-by-side comparisons of undergraduate programs you couldn't provide. Keep your dreaming.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:45 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianreading View Post
Flat-out nonsense. Rankings are produced based on undergraduate programs all the time. In fact, it's most of the time.

Then I guess there are no "official" rankings then. Secondly, U.S. News & World Report is a layman's ranking, and doesn't mean a whole lot to most schools in terms of measuring academics. As far as it not being based off of opinions, it's just false. Let me quote their methodology: "The U.S. News ranking formula gives significant weight to the opinions of those in a position to judge a school's undergraduate academic excellence."

Just how significant a weight are these opinions given? Almost a quarter (22.5%) is based solely on how school presidents rate other institutions. Now, do you think UT-Austin's president is more likely to rate UTD over UH? You bet he is. UT-Austin directly profits from the success of UTD due to being the flagship institution of the UT System. Does this seem highly political? Yes. Based off of legitimate objective academic observations? No. This is why I cannot give this methodology credibility.

Still waiting on those side-by-side comparisons of undergraduate programs you couldn't provide. Keep your dreaming.
Just EAT IT Houstonian....

Old 08-22-2013, 04:48 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,951 times

Yes, indeed. WE, should all end this thread with the above comment, showing the upmost CLASS possible.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:54 PM

568 posts, read 900,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post

Yes, indeed. WE, should all end this thread with the above comment, showing the upmost CLASS possible.
There is not much class when Dallasites and Houstonians get into a peeing race.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:17 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
meaning: Just accept it.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
meaning: Just accept it.
Accept nonsense? No thanks. How 'bout y'all up there in Dallas quit making crap up, and then we won't call you out on it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas