Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 05:28 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,416,868 times

Advertisements

Our Fredericksburg-Luckenbach Texas - YouTube

This is one of my favorite places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 12:27 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,802,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Late October &/or early November.

- Great weather (first cool snap). Highs in the 70s or 80s lows in the 60s.
- Festivals all over Texas. I like Chilispiel in Flatonia & Wurstfest in New Braunfels. Dozens of others.
- Friday night football in small towns everywhere. (& big cities)
- Vist San Antonio, Austin, NB Gruene, maybe Fburg.
Ditto this... a great time to be Texas!

Be sure to add the DFW area to your list and the
2013 Texas State Fair 9/27-10/20! Also, check here where you find all other activities going on during Oct-Nov as well (more will be added as the dates near), or any other time that you plan to visit.

Whenever and wherever you decide to visit our great state, you can rest assured you'll be welcomed!

Old 08-05-2013, 12:41 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,416,868 times
Check these painted churches out too.

The Painted Churches of Texas

Old 08-06-2013, 08:41 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
Fall is hands down the best time to visit Texas. There is little rain, everything is still green in the southern part or showing fall color in the Hill Country. Any month except June, July, and August is fine though.

September- Warm enough to go tubing/rafting on the Guadalupe or Gruene Rivers. Beautiful scenery in the Hill Country and very relaxing. World class Sclitterbahn water park is still open on some weekends.
Great motorcycle driving weather and it is pretty easy to rent one.

October- Cooler weather, little rain, Texas Renaissance festival starts in Plantersville, Fall foliage in Hill Country, still nice weather to go rafting on the Guadalupe or Gruene river, eating outside on the San Antonio river walk, cooler temps for the San Antonio zoo

Old 08-06-2013, 11:12 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Fall is hands down the best time to visit Texas. There is little rain, everything is still green in the southern part or showing fall color in the Hill Country. Any month except June, July, and August is fine though.

September- Warm enough to go tubing/rafting on the Guadalupe or Gruene Rivers. Beautiful scenery in the Hill Country and very relaxing. World class Sclitterbahn water park is still open on some weekends.
Great motorcycle driving weather and it is pretty easy to rent one.

October- Cooler weather, little rain, Texas Renaissance festival starts in Plantersville, Fall foliage in Hill Country, still nice weather to go rafting on the Guadalupe or Gruene river, eating outside on the San Antonio river walk, cooler temps for the San Antonio zoo
Agree with everything in this post (but):

- the "foliage" isn't much to brag about (except in Lost Maples & in NE Texas) & typically occurs in early Nov.

- You're confusing the cute & fun little town of Gruene (a must visit for any visitor)....with the Comal River (there is no "Gruene" River). There's the Guadalupe River & the little Comal River, & then there is the little burg of Gruene (which is technically in New Braunfels) that the Guadalupe River flows thru. But Meyerland is correct, yes....the OP should stop in NB, float the Comal (if warm enough), stop in Gruene Hall & eat next door at the Gristmill (on the River). OP, google New Braunfels, Gruene, Gruene Hall, Gristmill & Wurstfest.

Also, might want to stop in Lockhart or Luling for BBQ. (google those towns too).

Old 08-07-2013, 04:13 PM

517 posts, read 1,052,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconess View Post
Is there a 'best time if the year' to visit Texas? A friend and I want to go to Texas to see and hear some of that good o'l Texan/southern charm that we hear about. If age matters for suggestions, we're both in our thirties. I would like to go see a rodeo but that's the only thing that's really on the agenda. Hopefully there is other mischief we can get into. I'm guessing we will be going to the Fort Worth area but no official plans yet. We thought about San Antonio as we so we could go to Sea World or whatever its called, maybe swim with the fishes. At this point we only have a week to be there. Amy suggestions would be appreciated.
Only a week?

I live in Texas and a week was not enough time to drive across Texas to see Fort Davis and the Big Bend Area. I could spend 2 or 3 days in San Angelo!

So, only a week? Hum. I would start with the best this year. The Texas Hill Country.

Make the Wurstfest if you can be that late.

Wurstfest

If not, a day or two on the Comal river.

Look at this Google Map.

http://goo.gl/maps/6s1Dm

You can fly into San Antonio, rent a car, get a Bed and Breakfast in Gruene and never move again for five days. If you are late enough in October you will catch the beginning of the Wurst Fest. On a Friday you might get into University of Texas football game. I don't know if they will be playing at home that day or if you could even get tickets if they were. I assure you, it will not be boring, even if you never look at the game.

Just Google the towns on the map, each will probably have a festival or fair in October.

While the Hill country is probably the prettiest part of Texas, every part is nice in late October. The high dessert in the Big Bend area is beautiful, but you won't meet a lot of people there. While the high planes are my least favorite part of Texas, the have their own rugged attraction. Even the Gulf Coast with its heavy industry and marshes turns off nice in the fall. South Texas starts to be transformed with its annual influx of snow birds. (Many even speak Canadian)

North East Texas has its hardwood forests and they put on color in late October and early November. Deep East Texas is just green, always green.

I never really like Midland and Odessa, but I suppose I need to say something nice about them. If you are passing through, the Commemorative Air force is there and the Monahans Sandhills State Park is a Texas-sized sandbox. Bring a big piece of cardboard for dune sliding.

So central Texas this year, of course you will need to schedule four more years to see the rest.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 08-09-2013, 03:41 AM

9,086 posts, read 1,459,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qazulight View Post
Only a week?

I live in Texas and a week was not enough time to drive across Texas to see Fort Davis and the Big Bend Area. I could spend 2 or 3 days in San Angelo!

So, only a week? Hum. I would start with the best this year. The Texas Hill Country.

Make the Wurstfest if you can be that late.

Wurstfest

If not, a day or two on the Comal river.

Look at this Google Map.

http://goo.gl/maps/6s1Dm

You can fly into San Antonio, rent a car, get a Bed and Breakfast in Gruene and never move again for five days. If you are late enough in October you will catch the beginning of the Wurst Fest. On a Friday you might get into University of Texas football game. I don't know if they will be playing at home that day or if you could even get tickets if they were. I assure you, it will not be boring, even if you never look at the game.

Just Google the towns on the map, each will probably have a festival or fair in October.

While the Hill country is probably the prettiest part of Texas, every part is nice in late October. The high dessert in the Big Bend area is beautiful, but you won't meet a lot of people there. While the high planes are my least favorite part of Texas, the have their own rugged attraction. Even the Gulf Coast with its heavy industry and marshes turns off nice in the fall. South Texas starts to be transformed with its annual influx of snow birds. (Many even speak Canadian)

North East Texas has its hardwood forests and they put on color in late October and early November. Deep East Texas is just green, always green.

I never really like Midland and Odessa, but I suppose I need to say something nice about them. If you are passing through, the Commemorative Air force is there and the Monahans Sandhills State Park is a Texas-sized sandbox. Bring a big piece of cardboard for dune sliding.

So central Texas this year, of course you will need to schedule four more years to see the rest.

Cheers
Qazulight
Many speak Canadian? I don't wanna hear Canadians I hear that daily I want to here some Texan talk its soooo much cuter . A week certainly does not seem like enough time. I think I need an entire month with all these ideas that have been posted.
Dune sliding? That sounds interesting.

Thank you to everyone that has taken time to answer my question. Looks like I have some research and planning to do!

Last edited by Draconess; 08-09-2013 at 04:34 AM..

Old 08-09-2013, 04:31 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconess View Post
Maybe a few speak Canadian? I don't wanna hear Canadians I hear that daily I want to here some Texan talk its soooo much cuter . A week certainly does not seem like enough time. I think I need an entire month with all these ideas that have been posted.
Dune sliding? That sounds interesting.

Thank you to everyone that has taken time to answer my question. Looks like I have some research and planning to do!
I can assure you it gets really old when you hear the "cute" talk every single day and it's not cute at all. Ugh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas