Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2013, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,148 times

Advertisements

Good Morning Texas CDers,

I wanted to ask a question about a potential relocation I am looking at between Austin and Houston. I do not want to bash on either city (I like them both) - rather, I would love to hear from people that have lived in both, spent lots of time in both, or are maybe of a similar background to me as a professional transplant.

As a quick background, I am a mid-30s professional making well over six-figures, married with a 5-year old with Apsberger's Syndrome, and I have equal job offers in both Austin and Houston (the industry for our purposes is irrelevant). I currently live in Southern California, and have spent most of my life on the urban East Coast (lived very briefly in Texas and have worked here often). From a personal standpoint, I am a political moderate "East Coast Republican" with a slight libertarian streak and really could care less about the whole red/blue state divide - I just want a place that is safe, clean, adequately serviced and friendly (i.e. I will not make a decision based on gun rights, medicinal marijuana, etc.). I really do not want to live in a place that tries to define itself by politics but rather has a mix across the spectrum (life is more fun that way).

Having lived in America's two biggest cities, I get "urban" living, and I know that is not Texas - and that is fantastic. I have loved living in the LA basin on account of the natural beauty, weather, things to do, and dining / nightlife scene that is close but not too close. In short, I like having most of the "big city" trappings nearby without living in the big city, and I am placing increasing importance on living in a place (or suburb) that has natural beauty and the ability to get in a car and "escape" out of the city easily. That being said, I'm used to "world class" cultural city amenities (particularly in the art and music scene) and would like to keep some of that nearby where I live. And if anything else, I would like to live somewhere that has it's own "authenticity" - a place that has its own uniqueness and inviting enjoyability.

Finally, there is the "people" issue - and while I hate to make generalizations, neither city is particularly flooded with people from my "network" of East Coast schooling and work experience, so I will be making a lot of new friends and acquaintances. I'd love to live around smart, fun, outgoing and industrious people - while personally religious, I'd rather not live in a community of "mega-chuch friends", definitely don't want to live in a place where people care what local high school you attended, nor do I want to settle in a place with predominately 40yo hipsters. I love Texans, but like any place, certain neighborhoods or communities can take on a life of their own (something all too obvious in California).

I guess my question is this - based on your experiences (and assuming both locations are equal professionally), where would you live? And within Austin or Houston, are there particular communities you would chose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 08:53 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,056,625 times
I've lived in both.

Assuming your job opps, salary, and all being totally equal like you said (a real rarity), it's hard to say. Wanting to be close to "world class" culture? Won't get that in Austin. So Houston would win on that.

Austin = younger, smaller, drier, inland, hilly, more homogenous population.
Houston = larger, more international/diverse, more corporate, more "big city", cosmopolitan, closer to the coast.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:00 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,977,918 times
Houston is definatley more world class than Austin

Old 08-30-2013, 09:16 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,784,890 times
Lived in both for 10+ years.

Houston

Old 08-31-2013, 12:52 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,414,048 times
I've lived in both cities, here's my opinions:

Houston:

real estate is probably cheaper overall

Electricity is derugluated, and the cost/kwh is cheaper than Austin

World Class medical care

Humidity is terrible, year-round. After several months you will grow gills! Combined with pollution, the quality of air is definitely not the best

Austin:

Cost of real estate is high

Beware of property taxes, especially in Williamson County, among the highest in the nation!

Cost of electricity is sky-high, and you will use it! Summers are like an oven, although the humidity is less than Houston, but still humid. Our electric bills ran 600--$700+in the Austin summers

Which city would I prefer? That's hard to say, I was happy in both. I think its what you make it! Just my two cents worth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: