Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 08:03 PM

34 posts, read 54,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I've photographed a lot from Brazil and would love to photograph Mexican bull riders. And pretty Mexican barrel racers.
You should try to find the guys that wear those boots with the toe on them curls around in a big never ending spiral. That would be a cool pick.

If I were the OP I would take a relocation visit to check the town out for a few days and see what you think. It wouldn't be a wasted trip because it's a big draw for us city dwellers and I've never heard of anyone visiting it say they had a bad time. I don't think the cowboy culture is widespread enough to drive you away and I think if you really have your heart set on the hill country it's a hard place to beat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 08:04 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
I can handle a short round of Mariachi music*.... but when the neighbors get into that um pa um pa um pa um pa um pa da dadada ump pa ...forget it. Geez!

Old 08-11-2013, 08:05 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuykendall View Post
You should try to find the guys that wear those boots with the toe on them curls around in a big never ending spiral. That would be a cool pick.

If I were the OP I would take a relocation visit to check the town out for a few days and see what you think. It wouldn't be a wasted trip because it's a big draw for us city dwellers and I've never heard of anyone visiting it say they had a bad time. I don't think the cowboy culture is widespread enough to drive you away and I think if you really have your heart set on the hill country it's a hard place to beat.
I was supposed to visit last spring but now it will be next summer. Wife will retire in May and here we come. Home to make it by peach season. Thanks for the photo tip.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:10 PM

You'll be just a stones throw from Luckenbach, Texas.

Home

Old 08-11-2013, 08:13 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Oh my. Got that one book marked. Thanks. I'll make the rounds. I got problems now. My wife will want me on the dance floor learning to line dance.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:19 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
You know a 20 year old bull rider is past retirement age unless they are really professional material.
I don't know a whole lot about my sister's son's chosen field but I do know that in the 1980s he won the PRCA's Bull Riding Rookie of the Year Award. He was a very close friend to Lane Frost for who the movie "8 Seconds" was made but I shouldn't say more than that here.

Again, I am probably scaring the OP, so enough bull riding stories.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:22 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I can hardly get a decent classic country music station here around so-called conservative Lubbock but I'm no cowboy by any definition. I'm over sixty but I also like Rascal Flatts, Lonestar, Brooks & Dunn, etc. Good music is simply good music.

I think fearing cowboy culture of Texas is akin to immigrating folks fearing snakes, scorpions, tornadoes, and very recently even alligators(?) There's no rational reason to fear cowboys unless you really believe what Hollywood puts out. The extremely few real cowboys I know are the friendliest people in the world and will take food off their own family's table to help you if they think you will appreciate it.

However as Nomadicus so clearly stated, if you plan to move to Texas, as long as their are bulls and broncs in Texas, there will be cowboys.
Or sort of like wanting to move to the country as long as there are sidewalks and traffic lights and everybody mows their pasture like a lawn and there are no animals.

OP, sounds like you don't want to move to Texas and/or that you want to move here for the wrong reasons. Texas is not going to change to suit you or to be like where you're coming from only with more conservatives (something a lot of people moving here don't quite get).

Old 08-11-2013, 08:23 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punzquill View Post
I hate cowboy culture! I'm not a Texan, but am seriously wanting to move to the Texas hill country. But if I find out that I'm going to frequently be seeing cowboy boots, cowboy hats, and those ridiculous belt buckles on grown men, well then, such a move would be a mistake. And one more thing I hate: having a restaurant meal while OLD country music is playing in the background. George Jones, Waylon, Buck Owens, the really old stuff (I actually am quite fond of NEW country music, like Lonestar, Rascal Flatts and so forth.)
I've spent a long time on Zillow looking at houses for sale and I find I'm most attracted to the 80-90-year-old (tree-canopied) homes of Fredericksburg. I realize it's sort of a tourist town, and that doesn't bother me. I'm just afraid of cowboy culture. The main reason for my move is to get away from liberals, which led me to searching in the "red" areas of Texas. And the hill country seems really beautiful. Anyway, the reason for my thread is to seek input on the cowboy culture topic, specifically in the hill country because that's where I believe I want to be. This is a serious post, so please realize I'm not trying to be funny or insulting regarding those people. They have every right to enjoy what they enjoy. I'm simply saying I do not want to be around them. Fair enough?
Texas is a cowboy state as much as Wyoming and Montana and Oklahoma are.
We Texans are quite proud of our ethnic and cultural diversity.
You will be hearing old country classics in the Hill Country.
You will see folks in cowboy hats.
You will see folks in cowboy boots
Yeah, there are a lot of big belt buckles around, too.
There are liberals in this state and even in the Hill Country.

You won't have to deal with the above mentioned folks unless you want to but you might be a bit lonely. Cut those folks some slack. They are nice people and most are good as gold.

Could you possibly rent a place in the Hill Country for a month or two? You would get a feel for the place and the people. What you see is what you get in Texas.

Come on down and visit a while, ya' hear?

Old 08-11-2013, 08:24 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I can handle a short round of Mariachi music*.... but when the neighbors get into that um pa um pa um pa um pa um pa da dadada ump pa ...forget it. Geez!
Hey, I'd try to play with them. I've played with Cajuns down in New Orleans.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Hey, I'd try to play with them. I've played with Cajuns down in New Orleans.
Accordions get to me too! I think my brother and I were in possession of one when young and didn't take a liking to it. The incessant umpa drives me nuts as does rap music*.... I come from a musical family myself. Justin Wilson played something I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas