Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 09:43 PM

587 posts, read 961,744 times

Advertisements

What do you all think of this?

Hyperloop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am opposed to regular HSR because it is expensive and doesn't really offer any benefits over existing modes of transportation, but Hyperloop looks like something I could support.

It costs less than HSR and is much faster than air travel. It can also solve the "last mile" problem by allowing people to transport their cars. Imagine being able to travel from El Paso to Beaumont in a little over 1 hr. Or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 09:50 PM

568 posts, read 902,145 times
I don't know the logistics of this so I can't really comment on it. But If Texas had a bullet train for the Texas Triangle I would take full advantage of it on the weekends. The ability to go party in Austin, Dallas, etc., would be awesome.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:51 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,750,328 times
Both HSR and HL are too expensive. The interest on the capital cost alone would not be economically feasible for either.

The HL has been around a while. The Hyperloop was something I looked at while a student at UT in the 80s. We were interested in extending the rail network over the Pacific. We designed a large floating tunnel suspended under the ocean with a vacuum inside and electric rails. We also look at using small nukes to drive the locomotives.

The cost of the raw materials alone made the project unfeasible in comparison with current shipping costs. Not to mention construction costs, insurance, and then the maintenance and OPEX.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:11 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,764,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midessan View Post
What do you all think of this?

Hyperloop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am opposed to regular HSR because it is expensive and doesn't really offer any benefits over existing modes of transportation, but Hyperloop looks like something I could support.

It costs less than HSR and is much faster than air travel. It can also solve the "last mile" problem by allowing people to transport their cars. Imagine being able to travel from El Paso to Beaumont in a little over 1 hr. Or less.
Cost less: purely speculative - not even a proof of concept has been built, let alone a working full scale prototype. Right now - it's science fiction, slightly more probable than tele transportation.

Faster than air travel: Maybe at certain distances. There's far easier ways to fix air travel though - we can rethink TSA and determine if there is any real value here.

Last Mile Problem: Maybe, see 1 above.

LOL at the El Paso to Beaumont route. I can assure you that no one is going to build HSR or HL or even a hot air balloon for this route.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:55 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,619,427 times
An interesting concept but I'm sure I'll never see it in my lifetime. And somehow I think the reality is - this contraption will revolutionize travel the same way that the Segway revolutionized personal mobility.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:31 PM

587 posts, read 961,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Both HSR and HL are too expensive. The interest on the capital cost alone would not be economically feasible for either.

The HL has been around a while. The Hyperloop was something I looked at while a student at UT in the 80s. We were interested in extending the rail network over the Pacific. We designed a large floating tunnel suspended under the ocean with a vacuum inside and electric rails. We also look at using small nukes to drive the locomotives.

The cost of the raw materials alone made the project unfeasible in comparison with current shipping costs. Not to mention construction costs, insurance, and then the maintenance and OPEX.
That is interesting. Musk claims that it will only cost 1/10th what HSR costs, and would be powered by solar panels on the tubes. Maybe the materials and technology have improved enough since the 80's to make it feasible now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Cost less: purely speculative - not even a proof of concept has been built, let alone a working full scale prototype. Right now - it's science fiction, slightly more probable than tele transportation.

Faster than air travel: Maybe at certain distances. There's far easier ways to fix air travel though - we can rethink TSA and determine if there is any real value here.

Last Mile Problem: Maybe, see 1 above.

LOL at the El Paso to Beaumont route. I can assure you that no one is going to build HSR or HL or even a hot air balloon for this route.
I wouldn't say that it is Sci Fi, but even teleportation has been demonstrated in the lab. We can only teleport atoms and sub atomic particles right now but the basics principles are understood.

I think we will have working teleportation before we fix the TSA, too many chushy government jobs at stake.

I know that an El Paso to Beaumont route would never be built. I was just using it as an example because they are far apart. This project would certainly start with the usual Houston to Dallas line that every proposed transportation project in Texas begins with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
An interesting concept but I'm sure I'll never see it in my lifetime. And somehow I think the reality is - this contraption will revolutionize travel the same way that the Segway revolutionized personal mobility.
Yeah, I remember when I first heard about the Segway, or project Ginger as it was called then. A new mode of transportation that would revolutionize the way we travel and change the design of our cities... turned out to be a glorified scooter.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midessan View Post
That is interesting. Musk claims that it will only cost 1/10th what HSR costs, and would be powered by solar panels on the tubes. Maybe the materials and technology have improved enough since the 80's to make it feasible now.

I wouldn't say that it is Sci Fi, but even teleportation has been demonstrated in the lab. We can only teleport atoms and sub atomic particles right now but the basics principles are understood.

I think we will have working teleportation before we fix the TSA, too many chushy government jobs at stake.

I know that an El Paso to Beaumont route would never be built. I was just using it as an example because they are far apart. This project would certainly start with the usual Houston to Dallas line that every proposed transportation project in Texas begins with.

Yeah, I remember when I first heard about the Segway, or project Ginger as it was called then. A new mode of transportation that would revolutionize the way we travel and change the design of our cities... turned out to be a glorified scooter.
Dood, what are you smoking? It is seriously powerful.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:07 PM

58 posts, read 95,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by test icicle View Post
That would cross the sound barrier.

Put some test monkeys in there first...
Kind of, but not really. From my understanding of the HL concept, which I glanced at before it was announced, the air in the system would be traveling at the same speed (roughly) as the train. This would prevent a lot of the issue of increased drag. From the outside though, it would be traveling faster than the speed of sound, at sea level.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
Kind of, but not really. From my understanding of the HL concept, which I glanced at before it was announced, the air in the system would be traveling at the same speed (roughly) as the train. This would prevent a lot of the issue of increased drag. From the outside though, it would be traveling faster than the speed of sound, at sea level.
I guess you didn't bother to read Elon Musks proposal before you posted this did you?

Old 08-20-2013, 10:19 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,458,160 times
How long would it take to build this? Freeway projects take YEARS to complete just 15-20 miles. I can only imagine how many years it would take to build 250 miles(Dallas to Houston 1st phase).

Oh and I know freeway construction might be a little more complicated than this tube but its just so many more miles of tube to build.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas