U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 06:06 PM

20,867 posts, read 5,268,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmdesert View Post
Hard to say, but I like a number of things about El Paso where I lived 3 years, and it's arid.

The closest TX towns to Santa Fe NM would be Marfa or Fort Davis, possibly Alpine. But the former in temperature are more like Albuquerque than cooler Santa Fe, but they are less arid like Santa Fe (probably semi-arid). Alpine is warmer like Las Cruces, but less arid and probably also semi-arid.

As to the now-expensive with high tastes next to poverty, formerly an inexpensive artist outpost, Marfa also resembles Santa Fe. But nowhere in west Texas are there the lofty Rocky Mountains like Santa Fe has! The low buttes and mountains except the Davis Mountains above a high Chihuahuan desert grassland give Marfa a different visual, too.
your right Alpine is semi-arid .....well at least according to wikipedia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 01:23 AM

3,619 posts, read 4,627,525 times
Not really a town, but the Guadalupe Mountains National Park has some of the prettiest high desert scenery in Texas, if not the entire country. It's also the highest point in Texas

And, of course Big Bend

If I had to pick a small high desert town I'd pick the Fort Davis area for the scenery. But there's not much there. It's no Sana Fe. No Taos either.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:26 AM

1,414 posts, read 712,288 times
I traveled to Santa Fe last August and quite enjoyed the city. I hope Texas annexes it someday

Old 05-12-2020, 11:59 AM

10,218 posts, read 21,674,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I traveled to Santa Fe last August and quite enjoyed the city. I hope Texas annexes it someday
Santa Fe used to be part of Texas in 1836. But when we joined the US in 1845, we gave up that land in order for the US to pay off our debts incurred during the Texas Revolution.

Old 05-12-2020, 12:32 PM

5,226 posts, read 2,905,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I don't see that happening and wouldn't want it. Santa Fe would be a net drain on the Texas economy. Santa Fe's economy is poor even in non-recessionary, non-pandemic times. It is mostly government, hospital, and low wage service sector tourism related jobs. There is a high welfare and teen pregnancy rate.

Texas has 3 neighboring states with a lot of poor economic indicators: Arkansas, Louisiana, and New Mexico. Texas gets a lot of migration from those states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Not really a town, but the Guadalupe Mountains National Park has some of the prettiest high desert scenery in Texas, if not the entire country. It's also the highest point in Texas

And, of course Big Bend

If I had to pick a small high desert town I'd pick the Fort Davis area for the scenery. But there's not much there. It's no Sana Fe. No Taos either.
Fort Davis and Alpine are two of the best.

Old 05-12-2020, 02:02 PM

1,719 posts, read 1,304,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Santa Fe would be a net drain on the Texas economy. Santa Fe's economy is poor even in non-recessionary, non-pandemic times.
Maybe it's just an underperforming asset, and with the right management it would do well.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:31 PM

2,897 posts, read 2,352,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Maybe it's just an underperforming asset, and with the right management it would do well.
It would be hard to annex Santa Fe without annexing other parts of New Mexico like Las Vegas, Espanola etc. that are widely known to be economically and socially underperforming. New Mexico is one of the U.S.'s poorest states. It would be like annexing the Rio Grande Valley.

Now, annexing Las Cruces, Alamagordo, and Ruidoso / Cloudcroft might be workable. And the Permian oil basin areas...

Old 05-12-2020, 04:56 PM

5,226 posts, read 2,905,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
It would be hard to annex Santa Fe without annexing other parts of New Mexico like Las Vegas, Espanola etc. that are widely known to be economically and socially underperforming. New Mexico is one of the U.S.'s poorest states. It would be like annexing the Rio Grande Valley.
This is accurate. The Rio Grande Valley is somewhat like New Mexico. New Mexico excels in poverty, crime, high school dropouts, and teen pregnancy. New Mexico and Mississippi are usually the two most economically non-prosperous states in the United States. New Mexico just has a nicer climate than Mississippi.

The areas near the New Mexico-Texas border usually have lower humidity levels. El Paso's elevation is high enough to moderate heat a little bit. The areas in the Panhandle off of I-40 are pleasant temperature wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or