U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 05:07 PM

8 posts, read 50,411 times

Advertisements

I remember the first trip I took to New Mexico; I fell in love with the high desert. I live near Corsicana and was raised in Houston, so dry heat is something I knew nothing about. I went up 287 from Fort Worth on a hot June day, when I got to Wichita Falls it was still hot. In between Wichita Falls and Childress (Vernon area) the weather started looking really tornado-like. The weather report said there were tornado watches in the area including Southwestern Oklahoma. I looked to the north (in that area) and thought I saw one. I must admit I was nervous, thinking the ditch on the side of 287 wasnt much of a ditch to cramp down in at all. I made it to Amarillo and it was around sixty degrees (nice)! The cool front was nice, and after stopping at Love's I proceeded towards NM on I 40. Wow, the terrain west of Amarillo was nothing but grass, fields of grass for miles. It was kinda nice in a strange way. When I got to New Mexico (upon crossing the border) I immediately noticed a dryness on my cheeks and lips, it was bad. The landscape was nice, anxiously waiting for so long to see platos (that may be mispelled lol, the little flat, rocky hills like on Wiley Coyote and Roadrunner).
Getting out a Tucumcari I discovered it was hot again, though different; a dry heat. As night fell on Tucumcari (staying in a motel there) the temp. dropped drastically. I had never experienced 50 something degrees in June before! I fell in love with the arid climate, as I had already long before fallen in love with the terrain of the high desert.

Upon returning I began to research where in Texas is it dry like this, humidity levels around 7% as it was. I found the 'trans pecos' region to be one area for sure. Always wanted to get to big bend around Alpine, Presidio, and Marfa (seeing the Marfa light too).

In an 18 wheeler Ive been through Pecos, Van Horn, El Paso etc, however, Ive never seen the towns in the big bend area, not enough shipping going that direction.

What are some of your favorite towns where it is really arid. I noticed (viewing weather underground Texas everyday since) that Fort Stockton is still a little more humid than the big bend.

QUESTION: What is your favorite HIgh Desert or Arid town in Texas. SECONDLY, what town in Texas or towns has the feel of say SANTE FE, that OLD MEXICO feel like your stepping back in time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2006, 06:45 PM

9,191 posts, read 19,735,758 times
QUESTION: What is your favorite HIgh Desert or Arid town in Texas. SECONDLY, what town in Texas or towns has the feel of say SANTE FE, that OLD MEXICO feel like your stepping back in time?

There is no place in Texas that has the feel of Santa Fe to me.

High desert? I'd have to say Fort Davis, with Alpine a close second. However, with both at less than 5,000 ft, they're not that high.

Old towns that once had the feel of Mexico? That would have to be Marathon. Lajitas was once nicely isolated, but no longer.

They're building resorts and crap like that there now.

Just totally ruined.

Old 10-16-2006, 08:26 AM

138 posts, read 705,015 times
Arid in Texas?? All over right now. In East Texas where we usually have more rain and it is usually green, we are in the second year of severe drought with burning bans in lots of counties. My pasture is in the worse shape that I have seen since the 50's and probably worse than that. Arid but humid. I don't know how they exist together but they do.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:58 PM

8 posts, read 50,411 times
Thanks yall. Marathon is a town I need to check out then, what is special about it that gives it that old mex feel? Lajitas looks real isolated, Im suprised to hear that. Ive heard that Turlingua was kind of a hippie haven at one time. Ive wondered if presidio was old mex like. The whole area is facinating too me. I hope to visit someday soon. I didnt realize it wouldnt be close to Sante Fe though, it sure looks really high desert looking on TV.

Old 10-18-2006, 06:41 PM

9,191 posts, read 19,735,758 times
it sure looks really high desert looking on TV.

Terlingua? Lajitas? They are desert all right...but not high desert.

Lajitas 2332 ft

Terlingua 2864

Presidio 2578

Presidio is on the border, so yes, there are sections that are like old Mexico. Any bordertown is going to have such places, regardless of which one it is.

All three places are UNGODLY HOT in the summer. Presidio often has the dubious honor of being the hottest place NATIONWIDE at times during the summer.

If you like hot, you'll love any of the 3 places. As far as I'm concerned, they're all very isolated.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:06 AM

21,683 posts, read 8,468,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
it sure looks really high desert looking on TV.

Terlingua? Lajitas? They are desert all right...but not high desert.

Lajitas 2332 ft

Terlingua 2864

Presidio 2578

Presidio is on the border, so yes, there are sections that are like old Mexico. Any bordertown is going to have such places, regardless of which one it is.

All three places are UNGODLY HOT in the summer. Presidio often has the dubious honor of being the hottest place NATIONWIDE at times during the summer.

If you like hot, you'll love any of the 3 places. As far as I'm concerned, they're all very isolated.
Compared to the Sonoran/Colorado Desert; the entire Chihuahuan Desert is high desert. Case in point, the lowest elevation in the Chihuahuan is around 2,200ft on the Rio Grand somewhere near either Presidio or Terlingua. While in the Sonoran/Colorado, most places are between 1,500ft and Sea Level, and the Coachella and Imperial Valleys are as low as 220ft BELOW sea level

Old 10-21-2016, 07:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,067 times
Fort Davis, Alpine and Marta triangle are second best climates in U.S (Rand McNally data)- If your heat\ crime tolerant ,El Paso- loneliness tolerant then Sierra Blanca- I lived 20 years high plains Pueblo Colorado (perfect climate other than a little snow)Alamogordo ,N.M. next best- I live in Alpine now ,and am a "climate monger " having grown up in the Florida swamps and sweated out 83,000 gallons of perspiration in 50 years,and am mental from it.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:57 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,234,631 times
La Mesilla New Mexico just south of Las cruces and North if El Paso is like going back in time to the late 1800 's . Take Nm back highway 28 from El Paso to Las cruces you will go through old towns and Pecan tree orchards for a very interesting historical drive .
West Texas , from hwy 90 Valentine , marfa , Ft Davis , Alpine ,Marathon very dry old west towns .
Like the previous post said Presidio is the hottest driest place I know of right on the border with Mexico .
Alpine can be very very green in late summer .

Old 05-11-2020, 03:09 PM

104 posts, read 73,589 times
Default Most Arid Town in TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy444 View Post
I remember the first trip I took to New Mexico; I fell in love with the high desert...
What are some of your favorite towns where it is really arid. I noticed (viewing weather underground Texas everyday since) that Fort Stockton is still a little more humid than the big bend...
Hard to say, but I like a number of things about El Paso where I lived 3 years, and it's arid.

The closest TX towns to Santa Fe NM would be Marfa or Fort Davis, possibly Alpine. But the former in temperature are more like Albuquerque than cooler Santa Fe, but they are less arid like Santa Fe (probably semi-arid). Alpine is warmer like Las Cruces, but less arid and probably also semi-arid.

As to the now-expensive with high tastes next to poverty, formerly an inexpensive artist outpost, Marfa also resembles Santa Fe. But nowhere in west Texas are there the lofty Rocky Mountains like Santa Fe has! The low buttes and mountains except the Davis Mountains above a high Chihuahuan desert grassland give Marfa a different visual, too.

Old 05-11-2020, 03:55 PM

7,648 posts, read 3,605,936 times
Well, Santa Fe ought still to be in Texas, since it's (a bit) east of the Rio Grande.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or