Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 11:57 AM

61 posts, read 230,300 times

Advertisements

We r building a 4 bed house with game and media. It's a two story. We have to meet with the electrical company to decide what to add. They suggested tv and phone ports in every room including the bedrooms upstairs.

I don't think that's needed because no one uses land lines anyways and there is a media room for the tv. Sooo what is actually needed in a house from a resale perspective?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 12:23 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,037,787 times
I agree with you on the phone ports in every room, that's probably overkill. However, I would put TV jacks in every room where someone might want to put a TV, including all the bedrooms. Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:17 PM

18 posts, read 19,306 times
If resale value is the concern then I would at the very least rough in CAT5 to each room.

You never know if the next buyer will want a security system or to turn a room into an office and need the lines for phones/fax's or a separate network.

CAT5 can be used for so many things...

I'd also put at least one quad outlet in each room where the computer/tv/game system would most likely be.

Make sure you have enough outlets in each room...not just for code but for what actual use is no-a-days.

Even kids now have a TV, computer, Cell phone, game system, stereo etc..

The other thing I would do is to run 12/2 instead of 14/2 for future expansion( 12/2 generally allows 10 devices versus 8 on 14/2.) plus 12/2 handles more load so less chance of tripping the breakers during hard use.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:38 PM

751 posts, read 1,484,148 times
Having just purchased a home, I know some selling points that made me happy.

More outlets than required. We plug in lots of stuff.
More circuits than required. That way our 'lots of stuff' doesn't overload a circuit.
Cable outlets in every room. While I don't watch TV, the rest of the family is terribly addicted. Even if we had a media room, everyone would still want their own TV for Duck Dynasty, or SpongeBob, or Netflix, etc.

Not related to the original question.... Single story... Two story is mighty nice, but spending a lot of time at my brother's, I quickly learned I don't care for the constant tromping up and down the stairs. He has grown to dislike them too.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:33 PM

517 posts, read 1,053,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckgirl11 View Post
We r building a 4 bed house with game and media. It's a two story. We have to meet with the electrical company to decide what to add. They suggested tv and phone ports in every room including the bedrooms upstairs.

I don't think that's needed because no one uses land lines anyways and there is a media room for the tv. Sooo what is actually needed in a house from a resale perspective?
If you are pulling the cables and putting in the Cat 5, you might as well pull the RG-9 for cable TV. While you can go wireless Ethernet for Netflix, I find that problems are reduced with the 100 meg cable.

The incremental cost of pulling the wires with the walls open is lower than pulling one drop with the walls closed.

One last thing, do not terminate the RG-9 Coax cable for the cable TV. the first thing.the cable guy will do is cut those connectors off.

I used Leviton

Wallplates > Connected Home > Products from Leviton Electrical and Electronic Products

I got the colors to match, but my builder used over sized electrical plates and Leviton were standard sized.

Also add HDMI cables and maybe dual locations for your stereo equipment so you can re arrange you room as you see fit.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 08-26-2013, 06:52 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,576,047 times
I do smart homes
Two Cat6 in every room
Two coax in every room

For cctv
Run cat6 to front door where doorbell is
Run cat 6 to every corner of the house
Run cat6 to wherever you may want to put a camera.

Satellite
Run coax to satellite location. Run 7 cables

Run coax and cat 5 to every TV location do 2and2. Put a outlet there Also install backing before drywall for flat screen tvs. You can use one f the feeds to display the. DVR feed from a cctv system. Someone knocking n the oil. Flip th TV to the right input you see who is there.

Run ALL the wires to a closet or area designed for your entertainment

I used to do a lot of very high end custom homes. Whole house audio ir controllers throughout house to control music systems. If you can do it now before drywall wire the f out f it. ALSO hardwire a security system for every door window with glass break sensors.

I could go n and on but remember its 30 x cheaper to do it before drywall goes up

While you are it it install a central vac system. How about a whoe house audio or a surround ound. do a 7 channel even if you only have a 5 channel. My wife loves her central vac

Old 08-27-2013, 05:16 PM

517 posts, read 1,053,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I do smart homes
Two Cat6 in every room
Two coax in every room

For cctv
Run cat6 to front door where doorbell is
Run cat 6 to every corner of the house
Run cat6 to wherever you may want to put a camera.

Satellite
Run coax to satellite location. Run 7 cables

Run coax and cat 5 to every TV location do 2and2. Put a outlet there Also install backing before drywall for flat screen tvs. You can use one f the feeds to display the. DVR feed from a cctv system. Someone knocking n the oil. Flip th TV to the right input you see who is there.

Run ALL the wires to a closet or area designed for your entertainment

I used to do a lot of very high end custom homes. Whole house audio ir controllers throughout house to control music systems. If you can do it now before drywall wire the f out f it. ALSO hardwire a security system for every door window with glass break sensors.

I could go n and on but remember its 30 x cheaper to do it before drywall goes up

While you are it it install a central vac system. How about a whoe house audio or a surround ound. do a 7 channel even if you only have a 5 channel. My wife loves her central vac
This is the right way to do it.

Cheers
Qazulight (Didn't run the wires for the cameras and am missing them noe.)

Old 08-27-2013, 05:21 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,576,047 times
If you want PM me if you have any questions. Ill tell you how to wire the house for years of enjoyment. Even if you just pre wire it its worth it

Old 08-27-2013, 07:59 PM

447 posts, read 1,045,182 times
Also run HDMI (version 1.4) cables from where you a/v receiver will be to where your TV (wall mount) will be.

All these wires and cables are super cheap online. Don't wait till the last minute and pay best buy prices.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:18 AM

11,863 posts, read 26,903,548 times
Personally, I would skip the central vac system. They are good in theory, but they really do not work very well, especially if you have pets. I could go behind my mother's central vac system with my Dyson and still pick up a ton of cat fur! Also, it's a pain to store the really long hose and beater attachment in a closet. It's just as large as a normal vacuum cleaner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: