Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 03:48 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post
Voter ID will have an impact on many families with elderly parents/grandparents. My grandmother hasn't driven in 10 years, and doesn't have a current ID. She is in poor health, and it's not right that she has to go wait in a line for hours to get a new ID. The lawmakers are too focused on a problem that doesn't exist (wide spread voter fraud), and don't see how this will effect some of the most vulerable people.
My 85 year old Dad had to wait in all kinds of lines after a major stroke & show IDs to get VA & other services.
Why don't you help her with it like we did our Dad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 04:03 PM

577 posts, read 512,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
My 85 year old Dad had to wait in all kinds of lines after a major stroke & show IDs to get VA & other services.
Why don't you help her with it like we did our Dad?
I will if i have to so she can still vote. I'll take two days off of work, and make the 6 hour drive. The point is that the law puts burdens on many people. What about those that don't have a family member willing to take the time to do what you or I would do? That problem has not been addressed.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:05 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,088 times
Quote:
Voter ID will have an impact on many families with elderly parents/grandparents. My grandmother hasn't driven in 10 years, and doesn't have a current ID. She is in poor health, and it's not right that she has to go wait in a line for hours to get a new ID. The lawmakers are too focused on a problem that doesn't exist (wide spread voter fraud), and don't see how this will effect some of the most vulerable people.
Voter fraud does exist, so arguing about number of votes cast fraudulently is not what the law is about. It is about trying to stop the voter fraud. Hell, all it takes is 1 vote to change the outcome of an election, so why keep harping on the number of fraudulent votes?

As to being too old and too feeble and frail to go and wait in line to get an ID, then using the exact same logic, how the hell is someone that old, feeble and frail going to go down to the voting poll and wait in line to vote?

Excuses like that can flip flop all day long. Keep it real, ok?

Old 08-28-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Voter fraud does exist, so arguing about number of votes cast fraudulently is not what the law is about. It is about trying to stop the voter fraud. Hell, all it takes is 1 vote to change the outcome of an election, so why keep harping on the number of fraudulent votes?

As to being too old and too feeble and frail to go and wait in line to get an ID, then using the exact same logic, how the hell is someone that old, feeble and frail going to go down to the voting poll and wait in line to vote?

Excuses like that can flip flop all day long. Keep it real, ok?
Keep it real??? I said there was no WIDESPREAD VOTER FRAUD. I have looked, and haven't found any evidence showing that is it such a huge problem. I'm all for preventing fraud and voter ID, I just want all the issues and problems that it will create to be addressed BEFORE a law like that is implemented. Is that too much for you to understand?

Old 08-28-2013, 04:54 PM

587 posts, read 961,076 times
President Clinton apparently agrees that an I.D. should be required to vote. He also thinks there should be a background check.

Bill Clinton: Voting should be as easy as buying an “assault weapon” « Hot Air

Old 08-28-2013, 07:27 PM

298 posts, read 416,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Guess you've forgotten how Colin Powell was treated by the black "leadership" (IE: Congressional Black Caucus, Jesse Jackson, Sharpton, etc.) when he was being considered the frontrunner for the republican nomination in 1996 before his wife nixed it.

He wasn't "black enough" and didn't have the "American black experience" they said - even though both parents were working class blacks from Jamaica, he was born, raised & educated entirely in New York City, served with distinction in the US Army during the Vietnam War, and was a respected major player in US military/security in high government positions.

Versus Obama's Indonesian background/education, spent his high school days in Hawaii, his affirmative action college days at Harvard (Kinda like Shrub's), the "community organizer" in a totally corrupt Chicago political machine, and a half-term junior senator who had a bad habit of voting "present".

Yeah, Obama has had a real African-American experience & background.

A pity though, how different it could've been if Powell's wife hadn't been so insecure.
I'm sorry, I can't seem to see how your reply is relevant to my post. Where did I say that Obama has a real AfricanAmerican experience? I said how does he not act American.

Back on topic now, I agree that people should have an ID to vote, as long as that ID is free of charge.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:45 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,088 times
Quote:
Keep it real??? I said there was no WIDESPREAD VOTER FRAUD. I have looked, and haven't found any evidence showing that is it such a huge problem. I'm all for preventing fraud and voter ID, I just want all the issues and problems that it will create to be addressed BEFORE a law like that is implemented. Is that too much for you to understand?
LOL Is it too much for you to understand ONE (1), uno (1) fraudulent vote can change the outcome of an election. Good grief, only six (6) sentences in my post and yet you didn't read any of them except the last one. LOL Well, it only had three (3) words, so maybe that explains it. I've got to say, it's like talking to a fence post here.

Fraud is fraud, regardless if it's widespread, narrow spread or eagle spread. It is against the law, yet you are saying you're ok with the breaking of the law as long as it's 'not widespread'. You keep repeating it is not a huge problem. Gee, tell that to someone who lost an election by one fraudulent vote.

If a person is legitimate and really wants to vote, this law will not stop them. If by chance they need help in getting an ID, they can call their party committee chairperson even and you know arrangements can be made to assist them.

What you are doing is making up a bunch of nonsense, exaggerating it (and wow, is that ever an understatement) out of the ballpark and expecting people to believe you. So again, keep it real. Is that too hard for you to understand?

Old 08-28-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
LOL Is it too much for you to understand ONE (1), uno (1) fraudulent vote can change the outcome of an election. Good grief, only six (6) sentences in my post and yet you didn't read any of them except the last one. LOL Well, it only had three (3) words, so maybe that explains it. I've got to say, it's like talking to a fence post here.

Fraud is fraud, regardless if it's widespread, narrow spread or eagle spread. It is against the law, yet you are saying you're ok with the breaking of the law as long as it's 'not widespread'. You keep repeating it is not a huge problem. Gee, tell that to someone who lost an election by one fraudulent vote.

If a person is legitimate and really wants to vote, this law will not stop them. If by chance they need help in getting an ID, they can call their party committee chairperson even and you know arrangements can be made to assist them.

What you are doing is making up a bunch of nonsense, exaggerating it (and wow, is that ever an understatement) out of the ballpark and expecting people to believe you. So again, keep it real. Is that too hard for you to understand?
And like I said I'm sure there are some cases of fraud, but it doesn't justify passing a law that has not fully addressed the issues at hand. You can't seem to show were any widespread fraud has occured that changed the outcomes of many elections. So don't sell me on that being the need for the law. If you want people to believe all of the fraud you claim then show it.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:02 PM

75 posts, read 173,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midessan View Post
President Clinton apparently agrees that an I.D. should be required to vote. He also thinks there should be a background check.

Bill Clinton: Voting should be as easy as buying an “assault weapon” « Hot Air
Not.

What he said was "A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

It’s completely absurd that getting firearms is so much easier for a lot of folks than being able to vote with no hassles. Bill Clinton is right. Something is horribly wrong with this picture.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:17 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Ted Cruz ACTS like an American, and he acts like he loves this country.

Can't say the same about some other politicians. It all goes back to how one was raised, and when I see anti-Americanism in our politicians--especially at the highest level--it just really ticks me off.

His Indonesian stepfather and his time in Indonesia definitely shaped some of his views. That's what makes the difference.
How does one ACT American and who the hell are you to decide what American is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas