Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What choice(s) best desribes your feelings on legalizing marijuana
Yes, absolutely. And with no restrictions applied 36 34.29%
No, definitely not. Penalties should remain as they are under Texas law 12 11.43%
Legal, but with some minor fines for under an ounce 4 3.81%
Legal, but only for personal use. Sales should be restricted to state government control 38 36.19%
Allowed to grow your own, but not sell 17 16.19%
Allowed to grow your own, and sell. 10 9.52%
Legal only for medical use 14 13.33%
No opinion/not sure 2 1.90%
Other (please explain) 4 3.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 08:26 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times

Advertisements

I just HAVE to point out to those of you who have "tried it" that if you've only done it once, chances are you did not even achieve a real high, and, thus, have no true experience with what cannabis is capable of.

I'm not suggesting that you're missing anything or that you should give it another shot, but while plenty of past smokers no longer partake, I've never met anyone who didn't think fondly of their first real high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 08:55 PM

933 posts, read 1,533,245 times
I think it should be legal, regulated and taxed just like tobacco products. It's none of my or the government's business if someone wants to use marijuana in their own home or a business like a pot bar/lounge.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:01 PM

568 posts, read 901,386 times
"Legal, but with some minor fines for under an ounce"

You mean over an ounce? I'm confused. Are they getting tickets because they are not sharing?

Old 08-28-2013, 09:22 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
I fall into the same category as most of you. I don't use it, tried it once just to see what all the hoop-la was about and to me, there was no hoop-la, so that was the alpha and omega as far as I was concerned.

Stoners can get on my nerves at times, too. LOL they can be goofy as fruitcakes, but to me, they're harmless, and like you said TR, can be better to be around than an old mean-ass drunk.

I'm with Ronnie that it should be sold to adults, 18 or over. I'm also in agreement with ctk0p7 that it should be used in a private place and not around kids. Of course, this is where problems can start. Always has to be some idiots that ruin things for others and can't you see it now . . . the pothead who thinks it's cool to get his little 3 year old boy high? Of course they can do it with pot being illegal as well, but they would have a harder time explaining the situation if it came to that, I'd think.
I guess it would be like parents letting their kids have a taste of alcohol in their own home. Of course three years old is way too young and I don't agree with anyone trying weed or alcohol before age 18. And we already have to deal with the cigarette smoke in the air. I'd rather smell weed smoke than cig smoke.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:30 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times
I voted for legalized with gubmint control (ouch ... I generally despise Gubmint regs).

I also voted for the grow your own.

I think the title of stoner is way overworked. I don't smoke the stuff now(not for more than 25 years) but have in the past and I think alcohol is far more destructive ... physically, mentally, and socially! I see the effects of alcohol daily at work ... seen many patients hemorrhage uncontrollably from esophageal varices (this all related to liver destruction from cirrhosis). Can't even count the hundreds of trauma patient I've seen and cared for related to alcohol overuse. Weed wouldn't have near the preponderance of problems!

I do understand that today's cultivated maryjane is much more potent than the stuff of old. I think the biggest drawback with legalization would be greater access to more potent product for minors.

DISCLAIMER: I am not now nor have I ever been a member of NORML.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
I voted for legalized with gubmint control (ouch ... I generally despise Gubmint regs).

I think the title of stoner is way overworked. I don't smoke the stuff now(not for more than 25 years) but have in the past and I think alcohol is far more destructive ... physically, mentally, and socially! I see the effects of alcohol daily at work ... seen many patients hemorrhage uncontrollably from esophageal varices (this all related to liver destruction from cirrhosis). Can't even count the hundreds of trauma patient I've seen and cared for related to alcohol overuse. Weed wouldn't have near the preponderance of problems!

I do understand that today's cultivated maryjane is much more potent than the stuff of old. I think the biggest drawback with legalization would be greater access to more potent product for minors.

Minors have greater access to potent weed because it is legal. Make it illegal and it would be much harder. Ask anyone in high school if it is easier to get weed, or alcohol/cigarettes and they will tell you weed. Drug dealers don't need to see ID.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:54 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post

To be fair, most alcoholics drink much more alcohol than weed smokers smoke weed. I cant imagine inhaling any kind of smoke into your lungs (natural or not) in excessive amounts is healthy.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:56 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Minors have greater access to potent weed because it is legal. Make it illegal and it would be much harder. Ask anyone in high school if it is easier to get weed, or alcohol/cigarettes and they will tell you weed. Drug dealers don't need to see ID.
I think you mixed your words around.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I think you mixed your words around.
Sorry I'm high.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:06 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Quote:
Neither. Plenty of ambitious and intelligent people use marijuana.
I suppose, but having roomed with stoners, worked with stoners, gone to school with stoners (HS and college), and sat on two juries that dealt with stupid stoners, it is hard to not make the correlation. I actually don't know anyone currently that I consider smart and also is a regular pot smoker. I am sure they are out there, I just suspect they are more the exception than the rule.

Not that I am against legalizing it, per se....I really don't care. It is less competition in the workplace, I guess, and my wife started dating me after ditching her loser pot head boyfriend. It all works out .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas