U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What choice(s) best desribes your feelings on legalizing marijuana
Yes, absolutely. And with no restrictions applied 36 34.29%
No, definitely not. Penalties should remain as they are under Texas law 12 11.43%
Legal, but with some minor fines for under an ounce 4 3.81%
Legal, but only for personal use. Sales should be restricted to state government control 38 36.19%
Allowed to grow your own, but not sell 17 16.19%
Allowed to grow your own, and sell. 10 9.52%
Legal only for medical use 14 13.33%
No opinion/not sure 2 1.90%
Other (please explain) 4 3.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 10:31 PM

568 posts, read 788,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I suppose, but having roomed with stoners, worked with stoners, gone to school with stoners (HS and college), and sat on two juries that dealt with stupid stoners, it is hard to not make the correlation. I actually don't know anyone currently that I consider smart and also is a regular pot smoker. I am sure they are out there, I just suspect they are more the exception than the rule.

Not that I am against legalizing it, per se....I really don't care. It is less competition in the workplace, I guess, and my wife started dating me after ditching her loser pot head boyfriend. It all works out .
You'd be surprise how many professionals smoke weed recreationally but do not announce it to everyone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 11:37 PM

54,641 posts, read 42,869,842 times
As a libertarian, it pains me to say that it should be legal but the sale of it should be controlled by the government - because I hate to push more government regulations. But I agree that it's no worse than alcohol or cigarettes, so there you have it. Same regs, basically.

Never was into the stuff myself, though I have fired one up on more than one occasion. Personally, my drug of choice is a bottle of vino - or a couple of cold ones.

What consenting adults do in the privacy of their own homes is their own damn business in my book, as long as they are not infringing on the rights of others.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:50 AM

4,272 posts, read 7,630,753 times
I have long been for legalization, even though I have no interest. If it is legalized, it should be subject to the "non-smoking" bans that are in place now for tobacco. And of course sales and use should be controlled the same as for tobacco and alcohol.

A far worse threat to society, IMO, is the "texting while driving" craze (and the crazies that do it). Interesting to read that one recent judicial ruling holds people who text TO a driver as sharing liability with the driver in case of an accident.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:56 AM

13,671 posts, read 30,381,389 times
Quote:
Interesting to read that one recent judicial ruling holds people who text TO a driver as sharing liability with the driver in case of an accident.
Ha! I am presuming that you somehow know that the recipient is driving?

Old 08-29-2013, 08:04 AM

664 posts, read 1,551,088 times
I have seen some recent articles outlining its use as a treatment for seizures where other medications and treatments have been unsuccessful. I think in such cases researches should have access and federal funding should be available as it would be for any other similar research. For that to happen, it would need to be legal for medical purposes. As far as personal use, if it were already legal I wouldn't go on some crusade to make it illegal. But from everything I've experienced it does more harm than good for people so I'm sure not lifting a finger to legalize it in that sense. Everyone I used to smoke with had that story about the lawyer or doctor they know who smokes weed all the time but I've never ever met even one of those people so I'm highly skeptical they exist in any significant number.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:31 AM

2,749 posts, read 4,868,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Sorry I'm high.
LOL That was funny!

Old 08-29-2013, 10:24 AM

8,277 posts, read 6,678,305 times
I chose Yes, absolutely. And with no restrictions applied but only because it was the closest option to my actual opinion. I think that marijuana should be regulated as are alcohol and tobacco, but I don't support it only being available for sale in government stores (as is the case with alcohol in some states).

While I am not and have never been a user of marijuana, I have been around enough of them to know that marijuana is significantly less destructive to individuals and society than is alcohol.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:03 AM

725 posts, read 1,089,944 times
I wish someone would show some evidence that heavy weed smokers are dumber or less motivated than heavy drinkers, outside of anecdotes.

Obviously doing neither is better if you want to maximize your brain function, but is there any evidence that shows weed is worse for you than alcohol in terms of impact to the brain? In terms of motivation?

If there is evidence, I'd love to see it.

So, as I see it right now, I don't think it should be illegal, as alcohol is not. If you try to do something productive after drinking or smoking weed, it's probably not going to work out for you regardless of which substance you've used. I don't really see the issue as long as you're not partaking before working.

There are motivated, successful users of both weed and alcohol. There are also folks that allow those substances to ruin their lives. Why should the two be treated differently? People are going to make their own decisions and should be entitled to do so.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:06 PM

664 posts, read 1,551,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
I wish someone would show some evidence that heavy weed smokers are dumber or less motivated than heavy drinkers, outside of anecdotes.

Obviously doing neither is better if you want to maximize your brain function, but is there any evidence that shows weed is worse for you than alcohol in terms of impact to the brain? In terms of motivation?

If there is evidence, I'd love to see it.

So, as I see it right now, I don't think it should be illegal, as alcohol is not. If you try to do something productive after drinking or smoking weed, it's probably not going to work out for you regardless of which substance you've used. I don't really see the issue as long as you're not partaking before working.

There are motivated, successful users of both weed and alcohol. There are also folks that allow those substances to ruin their lives. Why should the two be treated differently? People are going to make their own decisions and should be entitled to do so.
In a lot of ways, excessive alcohol consumption is worse for you than weed. I've seen someone drink themselves to death. It's not pleasant. Seeing a friend in their 50's with wet brain is one of the most disturbing things I've ever experienced. But weed is illegal while alcohol isn't because not enough people care about weed to make it legal. There were enough people who wanted alcohol legal to amend our Constitution. If weed had even half of that support, it would be legal by now. Maybe all of those motivated, successful weed smokers can get together and make that happen.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:11 PM

59 posts, read 91,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
There were enough people who wanted alcohol legal to amend our Constitution. If weed had even half of that support, it would be legal by now. Maybe all of those motivated, successful weed smokers can get together and make that happen.
I have no doubt that a constitutional amendment, if voted upon by the people, could pass. However, the major issue is that it takes Congressional proposal for the amendment process to take place. Unfortunately, the U.S. Congress has already decided that they don't need the constitution anymore, and consequently couldn't care less about any amendment processes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas