U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What choice(s) best desribes your feelings on legalizing marijuana
Yes, absolutely. And with no restrictions applied 36 34.29%
No, definitely not. Penalties should remain as they are under Texas law 12 11.43%
Legal, but with some minor fines for under an ounce 4 3.81%
Legal, but only for personal use. Sales should be restricted to state government control 38 36.19%
Allowed to grow your own, but not sell 17 16.19%
Allowed to grow your own, and sell. 10 9.52%
Legal only for medical use 14 13.33%
No opinion/not sure 2 1.90%
Other (please explain) 4 3.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 02:13 PM

576 posts, read 444,449 times

Advertisements

I'll admit that I am shocked how many fellow Texans agree with legalization. If the posters, who represent various political affiliations, represent a true sample of the rest of Texas, then why has this issue not been brought before the voters of this state to decide?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 02:44 PM

9,223 posts, read 14,404,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
In a lot of ways, excessive alcohol consumption is worse for you than weed. I've seen someone drink themselves to death. It's not pleasant. Seeing a friend in their 50's with wet brain is one of the most disturbing things I've ever experienced. But weed is illegal while alcohol isn't because not enough people care about weed to make it legal. There were enough people who wanted alcohol legal to amend our Constitution. If weed had even half of that support, it would be legal by now. Maybe all of those motivated, successful weed smokers can get together and make that happen.
Because weed has been illegal for nearly 100 years, so its a little different than alcohol prohibition. All of the private prisons, DEA, big pharma, etc., were not around back then but are around now to throw money against legalization. Thankfully, the internet was created and knowledge has been spread because now there is a much stronger legalization movement. We have two states where weed is legal and another 16 or 17 (plus DC), where its legal for medical use.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:55 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,813,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsatyr View Post
"Legal, but with some minor fines for under an ounce"

You mean over an ounce? I'm confused. Are they getting tickets because they are not sharing?
That was a tough one to word and sort. I should have worded it better. What I meant was, a minor fine, like a traffic ticket (assuming that is the choice selected). A $20 fine or something if one is caught with it outside of your own place of residence. And I should have included the twin option of only minor fines for over that amount...as in gradients. Something like how it works with fines/penalties for theft...

Last edited by TexasReb; 08-29-2013 at 03:05 PM..

Old 08-29-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Because weed has been illegal for nearly 100 years, so its a little different than alcohol prohibition. All of the private prisons, DEA, big pharma, etc., were not around back then but are around now to throw money against legalization. Thankfully, the internet was created and knowledge has been spread because now there is a much stronger legalization movement. We have two states where weed is legal and another 16 or 17 (plus DC), where its legal for medical use.
This is a very good point. And several others (BobTex, CTK, etc) have alluded to it as well. That is, that one reason it is doubtful weed will ever be legalized (at least in the immediate future), is because of the lobbies you speak of. It doesn't make any difference that it is a waste of government time and resources (which, hell, is what most government spending is, anyway...) and that by regulating sales (like is done with alcohol and tobacco with licensing to private outlets) would actually bring in more revenue to the state than is being spent on a fools errand to confiscate it all. No, hell no, instead, let's play make-believe as per pretending there is no lesson to be learned by Prohibition.

*chuckling a bit* That is why I roll my eyes when I read these self-congratulatory articles about how the DEA (or whoever) seized a thousand bags of illegal marijuana. While they posture and pose and put out press-releases "proving" such a large seizure justifies the "War on Drugs" (and of course, protects their own jobs), a hundred thousand other bags are being sold illegally on the street. And the illegality itself is a reason for why some people resort to crime to support their "habit" and costs more in the long run that legalizing it ever will or ever did. In fact, it works in a negative fashion when it comes to balancing the books.

But no one ever said that "government", collectively, possessed any common sense.

Last edited by TexasReb; 08-29-2013 at 03:44 PM..

Old 08-29-2013, 03:35 PM

702 posts, read 643,132 times
Of course. Keeping it criminalized just contributes to prison overcrowding, enriching of violent drug cartels, and harshing my buzz, man.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:47 PM

576 posts, read 444,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post
Of course. Keeping it criminalized just contributes to prison overcrowding, enriching of violent drug cartels, and harshing my buzz, man.
Funny how they crowd the prisons with someone selling a little weed, but ignore the biggest drug dealers out there, Doctors! I'm sure big pharma companies love seeing the profits made off the people on all those pills.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:11 PM

795 posts, read 1,399,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
This is a very good point. And several others (BobTex, CTK, etc) have alluded to it as well. That is, that one reason it is doubtful weed will ever be legalized (at least in the immediate future), is because of the lobbies you speak of. It doesn't make any difference that it is a waste of government time and resources (which, hell, is what most government spending is, anyway...) and that by regulating sales (like is done with alcohol and tobacco with licensing to private outlets) would actually bring in more revenue to the state than is being spent on a fools errand to confiscate it all. No, hell no, instead, let's play make-believe as per pretending there is no lesson to be learned by Prohibition.

*chuckling a bit* That is why I roll my eyes when I read these self-congratulatory articles about how the DEA (or whoever) seized a thousand bags of illegal marijuana. While they posture and pose and put out press-releases "proving" such a large seizure justifies the "War on Drugs" (and of course, protects their own jobs), a hundred thousand other bags are being sold illegally on the street. And the illegality itself is a reason for why some people resort to crime to support their "habit" and costs more in the long run that legalizing it ever will or ever did. In fact, it works in a negative fashion when it comes to balancing the books.

But no one ever said that "government", collectively, possessed any common sense.
Totally agree. I dont use the stuff myself (I did in high school ) but I still think there are better things for the govt. to focus on. Weed is no worse than alcohol imo so I just dont see the big deal about it. Off topic- why wont this site let me give you rep anymore? Its been ages since the last time I did (although I've tried). Weird. lol

Old 08-29-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post
I'll admit that I am shocked how many fellow Texans agree with legalization.
Hell, I am as "right-wing" paleo-conservative as they come, CTK, but (perhaps even "strangely enough" LOL), I am really not all that surprised.

IMHO, the reason the stiff penalties got started for real in Texas was not so much it making any sense, but because it had an association with the "counter-culture/hippie/war protesting" life-style of the 60's and this was something that most Texans of the era absolutely disdained and felt disgust for the formers' flaunting their own contempt for tradition norms.

Interjecting here? Let me add, this is not intended to be critical of the attitude above. Matter of fact, even at a pubescent age, I always sided with those who supported the war...but that is another subject and poll (let me work on that one! LOL)

I was just a long-haired redneck!

But seriously....

Quote:
If the posters, who represent various political affiliations, represent a true sample of the rest of Texas, then why has this issue not been brought before the voters of this state to decide?
*nodding in appreciation of the very good point*. Politics definitely make for strange bedfellows...and this is a great example, but my own guess is that most voters really don't feel that strongly about the subject. That is, enough to sign a petition to get it put on the ballot...

Old 08-29-2013, 07:28 PM

9,428 posts, read 11,681,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsatyr View Post
You'd be surprise how many professionals smoke weed recreationally but do not announce it to everyone.
True. I know some and was surprised to find out, you would never know it. But maybe we're all talking about two different things. I know some people who have a few hits after a long day in the same way I'll have a glass of wine or a cocktail. I've also known people who smoke all day every day. Two different animals altogether. The latter is whom I refer to when I use the term "stoner".

Old 08-29-2013, 10:09 PM

568 posts, read 788,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
That was a tough one to word and sort. I should have worded it better. What I meant was, a minor fine, like a traffic ticket (assuming that is the choice selected). A $20 fine or something if one is caught with it outside of your own place of residence. And I should have included the twin option of only minor fines for over that amount...as in gradients. Something like how it works with fines/penalties for theft...
lol ah okay I got it now. I think Nevada has a policy like that. Basically you get a ticket if it's a small amount but no jail time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas